Thank you DR1 posters and Cayo Levantado question.

wojtek

Mar 25, 2013
Hi, everyone
Me and my family have spent three summers in Las Terrenas in the last 10 years so we are quite familiar with Samana peninsula. We stopped in Samana town couple of times on the way to Playa Rincon and Las Galleras. It was nice but nothing special. Since we are coming to LT again I started reading DR1 forum posts to find out what is going on. And guess what, I found (thank you all DR1 forum posters!) this really cool story about hunt for Joseph Bannister’ pirate ship wreck. I bought great Robert Kurson (thanks DR1 again) “Pirate Hunters” and my whole family including 12 years old twins are reading it now. So now we have to go to Cayo Vigia and Cayo Levantado :) Cayo Vigia is of course easy. My question is how to get on your own to Cayo Levantado and how much would it cost? I understand that there is a regular boat but only for resort guests. Is there any regular connection from Samana dock or you have to hire a private boat? Thank you in advance.

Andrzej Turski

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Cayo Levantado has a public beach but the rest of the island is private. There are boats that take you to the public beach as well.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Tons of boats in the harbor will take you there. Last time we went it was like $30 per person, round trip.

There are several non-resort beach resturants there.

wojtek

Mar 25, 2013
Thank you Bob and Cobraboy.
Cobraboy is there any restaurant there you would recommend or they are all the same? I understand that part of the island is private but the public beach looks amazing.We will be there in the summer so it should not be crowded with cruise ship tourists.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Thank you Bob and Cobraboy.
Cobraboy is there any restaurant there you would recommend or they are all the same? I understand that part of the island is private but the public beach looks amazing.We will be there in the summer so it should not be crowded with cruise ship tourists.
The best restaurants in Samana are in Las Terrenas.

There are beach shack restaurants on Cayo Levantado. I don't know if resort restaurants are available for non-guests.