Popping Wheelies

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You see them everyday, guys popping wheelies. Thinking they’re the coolest.

This morning a guy did it on the beach road near our house. There was a girl behind him, and she fell off. The tractor trailer behind them ran over her, and she’s dead. Local girl.

He’s already in jail. What a waste of two lives.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Sad needless death. Teen age mentality coupled with motos.
One would think the country would do something about the death stats and motos but the politicians seem to not care.
When there is an opportunity to make money politicians pay attention.
Apparently the highways are a major cause of death and that is not going to change.
Some aspects of life in this country make no sense.
It seems basic that it should be the function of government to improve the lives and safety of the governed.
Not in this upside down system.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
there was a young kid who operated a motoconcho near where i live. i saw him popping wheelies a couple of times, and told him to do something else to entertain himself. i guess he knew better than i did, since he was the kid, and i am the old man. well , since a month ago, he has not popped any. dead as a doornail.

this fool that AE just told us about deserves 30 years just for being incomprehehsively stupid. how do you wheelie with a passenger?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
The government doesnt ride motos or pasolas, it's the youth. It's upbringing. Don't drink and ride. No anda calibrando la pasola.
But... one of the problems in the DR, a lot of fathers are not where they ought to be....at home, educating their off-spring.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Our group rides attract the wheelie types, including two-up.

I have seen numerous crash. I never knew what the end result was.

There was a kid in Jarabacoa who wheelied into an oncoming SUV a couple of years ago. You can imagine how that turned out.

According to the Ministry of Health, 80% of injuries to men 16-25 are from motorcycle accidents, and 80% of those are alcohol-related. I'm sure wheelies are up there, too.

It's actually easier to wheelie two-up because you already have an aft CG.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
One of the sights on the streets that really makes my blood boil. No consideration for anyone else, pretty much on par with the majority of road users.

I often imagine myself with a baseball bat and swinging for them as they come the opposite direction on one wheel. But the strange thing is, I'm not a violent person, but I do wish these idiots harm. Perhaps it's because a couple of years ago, one of those brain-dead idiots lost control of his wheelieing bike andand killed a young school teacher from my kids school. The accident happened in Sosua Abajo / Charamicos.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
if these idiots don't put a helmet on ...but can carry it on their arm.....do you think they are going to worry about wheelies or red lights
and the AMET guys who don't give out tickets to these guys are as much to blame in my opinion

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
You think Dominicans are different than other nationalities and their bikes?
At the age of 10 I started with 50cc mopeds souped them up with my friends till they were running 70-80 k/hr and no brakes.
Then I started with 125cc and later with 150cc with those I kissed a couple of trees, till I ended up with a Suzuki 1100 doing 260 k/hr without a helmet on.
Looked like a China man for a week!
Sold it 2 days after gotten chased by 4 cop cars starting on Jasper Ave and ending when I was able to get of Capilano freeway and entered the river valley in Edmonton where they couldn't chase me.
I have a few personal stories but know many of friends crazier than me.
Put something between a man's legs and he'll go crazy. ;)

barooosk

Oct 13, 2009
there was a young kid who operated a motoconcho near where i live. i saw him popping wheelies a couple of times, and told him to do something else to entertain himself. i guess he knew better than i did, since he was the kid, and i am the old man. well , since a month ago, he has not popped any. dead as a doornail.

this fool that AE just told us about deserves 30 years just for being incomprehehsively stupid. how do you wheelie with a passenger?

I guess it must be hard. Was leaving City Lights in Sosua last night and saw moto do a wheelie with a passenger. The driver went one way the passenger went the other way and the moto wound up on the hood of car.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We have lost two former students in the past three months to wheely deaths. They do them on hills, through intersections, through red lights....etc. Absolutely no regard for themselves or anyone else.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
There was a girl behind him, and she fell off. The tractor trailer behind them ran over her, and she’s dead. Local girl..

A young girl who I'm a surrogate father to almost lost her left leg
as a result of an motorbike accident back in October. Bike was being
driven by her older sister's boyfriend when it occurred. Her mother
swore up and down to me it was the "gua gua driver" 's fault who
did not stop after the accident.

I took the young girl and a friend to the park in Moca yesterday
and since her mother wasn't with us at the park, she decided to tell me a "secret".

The real cause of her motorbike accident back in October?
You guessed it, the sisters boyfriend was driving fast and reckless,
(thankfully) there was no gua gua anywhere near them when
she hit the pavement.

Needless to say now my little angel is traveling to and from school
every day through the back roads in Moca using an Eco Movil (paid for by yours truly)
http://elpoder.com.do/lanzan-al-mercado-de-moca-innovador-sistema-de-transporte/

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You see them everyday, guys popping wheelies. Thinking they’re the coolest.

This morning a guy did it on the beach road near our house. There was a girl behind him, and she fell off. The tractor trailer behind them ran over her, and she’s dead. Local girl.

He’s already in jail. What a waste of two lives.

Stupid is as stupid does. Even Forest Gump recognized this fact. Actions with unintended consequences happen everyday. People make bad decisions and have to live with the results. Sad but true.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Stupid is as stupid does. Even Forest Gump recognized this fact. Actions with unintended consequences happen everyday. People make bad decisions and have to live with the results. Sad but true.

or, as in the aforementioned event, die with the results.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Amet (Why did they change to Digisett ?) - Should be more serious on stopping and seizing motos.
No Driver's License - your moto stays with us, no working lights front, rear and stop light ? Your moto stays with us.
No papers for the bike - your moto stays with us and no helmets for all on board, your moto stays with us.

After a month of this enforcement Amet would need a couple fincas to store the bikes (problems not fixed in 45 days then crush the motos) but by God the moto cowboys would be fixing lights and heading to take a drivers test (which 80% would fail)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Amet (Why did they change to Digisett ?) - Should be more serious on stopping and seizing motos.
No Driver's License - your moto stays with us, no working lights front, rear and stop light ? Your moto stays with us.
No papers for the bike - your moto stays with us and no helmets for all on board, your moto stays with us.

After a month of this enforcement Amet would need a couple fincas to store the bikes (problems not fixed in 45 days then crush the motos) but by God the moto cowboys would be fixing lights and heading to take a drivers test (which 80% would fail)

DIGISETT already has lots of fields of motorcycles here in Santo Domingo.

When there's hundreds of thousands of illegal bikes on the street the entire force could dedicate all of their to just collecting bikes and they still wouldn't make a dent.

Last edited: