Open Letter From a Tourist

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There are more than enough examples everywhere these days of an adopted mindset of entitlement. Rules don't apply to me, it's all about me and of course the all too often position, "who's going to stop me, you?"

Add in endless alcohol, being on a paid for vacation with promotional claims made by the tour provider and not the resort itself and this sense of self entitlement and the complete disregard for anyone else can easily reach epic levels. Completely exemplified by the mindset that a towel draped over a chair on the beach at 7 am guarantees that no one else will use that chair for the next four hours until they get around to actually arriving upon the scene to sit in the chair.

"Hell is other people"

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
Very accurate observations. You see this behavior a lot, mostly from American patrons (I am from the US), especially in the Caribbean where the service is bit more laid back shall we say. I am not excusing these people but it generally takes at least a week for the typical overworked, over stressed, over demanding American tourist to chill out some. Then again some are just a-holes, and there is not much one can do about that.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Not all Americans are like this! Americans are the biggest tippers in the World. With the biggest heart. America helps many poor countries.
Myself and my family are Americans. And all our Dominican and Haitian friends (accumulated here over almost 20 years) deeply and honestly respect us! (The only exception - a young woman at the Sixt rent car office in SDQ a/p).
Stop bashing America and Americans please!
God Bless America!
God Bless Dominican Republic!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Tipping does not make up for obnoxious............And there are plenty that are obnoxious without tipping.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not all Americans are like this! Americans are the biggest tippers in the World. With the biggest heart. America helps many poor countries.
Myself and my family are Americans. And all our Dominican and Haitian friends (accumulated here over almost 20 years) deeply and honestly respect us! (The only exception - a young woman at the Sixt rent car office in SDQ a/p).
Stop bashing America and Americans please!
God Bless America!
God Bless Dominican Republic!

what does being a good tipper have to do with anything?

should you have a right to demean people simply because you tip them at the end of the transaction?

and where is the bashing to which you refer? is this letter filled with falsehoods?

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Tipping does not make up for obnoxious............And there are plenty that are obnoxious without tipping.

Not a single one of my more than hundred Dominican friends can accuse me of disrespect neither.(Even the young woman in the Sixt car rent office in the SDQ a/p)
I did not deserve these words.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
what does being a good tipper have to do with anything?

should you have a right to demean people simply because you tip them at the end of the transaction?

and where is the bashing to which you refer? is this letter filled with falsehoods?

He never said any of this. So if you tip that means that one is assumed to be a rude person. Where did this come from.
People are rude to each every second of everyday everywhere.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
No one is talking about you. Just these people.

Far more accomplished at hosting tourists than being tourists, the stereo­typical American vacationer thinks every­one should do things his way. And if they don’t, the answer is usually to throw fistfuls of dollars around until they do.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
He never said any of this. So if you tip that means that one is assumed to be a rude person. Where did this come from.
People are rude to each every second of everyday everywhere.

i have no idea what you seem to be trying to say. apparently, another poster came to the idetical conclusion that i did.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
That is ONE persons opinion and should be treated as such. Real Dominican workers value tips more than anything else. As most anywhere money talks.

Americans tip. Certain Americans tip a lot more than others. Staff really hate the non tippers! Ask them and they can usually tell by looking at you or where your from if you will tip or not.

"We are better than that" is just a BS SJW line.

If you are better, act better yes but above all tip will.

They need your money [emoji383].

Europeans and certain Americans are the worst acting and least tippers. Common knowledge.

Too bad it ain't so common.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not a single one of my more than hundred Dominican friends can accuse me of disrespect neither.(Even the young woman in the Sixt car rent office in the SDQ a/p)
I did not deserve these words.

i understand your thinking. you are the guy who was embroiled in a 13 plus page thread opposing the LEGAL Dominican method of calculating taxes on sales.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Americans do not have a monopoly on boorish behavior. Plenty of Canadian, Australian, European examples. The author of the letter is American and his comments reflected what he saw other Americans doing. If you find those sentiments galling, take it up with the author, better yet the individuals behaving badly. .

People the world over at some point need to accept that the truth can hurt. Americans have done little to counter the pervasive perception that many American tourists behave objectionably as a matter of course. Whose fault is that? The few routinely spoil things for the rest.

See something, say something - the only way people will change is when they get a called out on their excesses.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
No one is talking about you. Just these people.

Far more accomplished at hosting tourists than being tourists, the stereo­typical American vacationer thinks every­one should do things his way. And if they don’t, the answer is usually to throw fistfuls of dollars around until they do.

I see no relation. We have several top notch properties in America too. That we rent to tourists. With a highly professional maintenance and all excellent reviews by highly demanding guests. And some in this country.But it does not mean that we are ourselves over demanding here. We fully understand the different culture and different level here. And even love it.
But I want to apologize if unintentionally hurt your feelings. Was not my goal and my idea.
Peace and love!

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
i understand your thinking. you are the guy who was embroiled in a 13 plus page thread opposing the LEGAL Dominican method of calculating taxes on sales.

Correct. Because ON MY OWN I tip much more than when I am FORCED TO. Ask any restaurant from my White List.