Defrocked Jersey priest in the D.R.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Defrocked Jersey priest who molested boys now teaches kids English in Dominican Republic

March 22, 2019, 5:30 AM ADT

By Evelyn Gruber, Nicole Acevedo and Corky Siemaszko
PUNTA CANA, Dominican Republic — A former Roman Catholic priest who was defrocked and convicted of molesting two boys in New Jersey has found a new vocation in a new location — teaching children English at a private school in this resort town.

The former priest, Hadmels DeFrias, 47, told the NBC News reporter who tracked him down that he is no longer a threat to minors and also claimed to be a bishop in the "progressive Celtic church."

"I don't see the children with those eyes anymore," DeFrias said in an extensive interview outside the Colegio del Caribe school in Punta Cana, where he watched over dozens of young boys and girls while shielding himself from the sun with an umbrella.

“For me they are children and they need to be treated like children because that is what they are,” he said. “I don’t feel the attraction. I am not telling you that maybe someday it won’t be there, because I can’t predict the future.”

As a priest, DeFrias, who is originally from the Dominican Republic, was assigned to the St. Mary of the Assumption Church in Elizabeth, New Jersey, when he was accused of fondling two brothers, both under 14, in 2001 and 2002 while the brothers were working in the church rectory, according to court records and published reports.

.............. read more in linked article.

Link to NEWS article: Defrocked Jersey Priest

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Never heard of this school. The only online presence apart from company listings is a FB page which has not been updated since 2014 with badly spelled posts. It might be in Puebo Bavaro.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Never heard of this school. The only online presence apart from company listings is a FB page which has not been updated since 2014 with badly spelled posts. It might be in Puebo Bavaro.

It is in Pueblo Bavaro.

Regards,

PJT

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i always thought that there is a school of research which finds that pedophiles cannot be rehabilitated....

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
If he revealed his criminal past, he says he did. Suspect he said nothing. If he did, then the employer was thoughtless and we are left to wonder why he was hired to teach at the school?

The damage has been done !

Regards,

PJT

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
If the school did not know, now they should hopefully. He has business being around kids let alone teaching them in a school.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
"I am not telling you that maybe someday it won’t be there, because I can’t predict the future.”

I'm not buying that he is rehabilitated and that statement to me sets up a "I couldn't help it" type defense.
How did he just happen to start working in a school? That looks to me like any other predator going to where the prey is located.
Since he speaks English why didn't he go work at a resort or call center? No, he picked working with young children. His local neighbors need to be warned. I'll bet he offers to "watch the kids" for local parents. They should check his home. Probably has kids games and candy. POS

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've seen a copy of the press release from the school confirming he has been fired and claiming they had no idea about his past.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
"I am not telling you that maybe someday it won’t be there, because I can’t predict the future.” I'm not buying that he is rehabilitated and that statement to me sets up a "I couldn't help it" type defense.
The "no fui yo" defence?

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Since he speaks English why didn't he go work at a resort or call center? No, he picked working with young children.
Excellent point. If he speaks both english and spanish he could get a job anywhere but he ended up in a school working with children that is scary.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Quick translation of the statement from the school, signed by the Directora Administrativa, Lic. Saviñon. The original is visible in the screenshot, a very poorly written letter which is also using the 'no fui yo' defence:
unnamed.jpg
We would like to make it known to all the media that we were unaware of the situation of the teacher Hadmels R. Gaton, teacher of English, who had a problematic past. As a responsible institution we were unaware of everything concerning this information and the international organisations that knew about his case never sent the correctly signed and sealed documentation to the school or to the Ministry of Education informing about the gravity of the case. As you know, we have a deficient system because a good conduct certificate does not include international information about people who teach in the educational field. Therefore, as soon as the Colegio del Caribe Punta Cana learned the facts about the teacher we proceeded to dismiss him.

Just to point out that the man's surname in the letter - Gaton - is not the same surname that appears in the press - DeFrias - so maybe he gave a false name or was going by his maternal surname to dodge detection. Although with such an unusual first name like Hadmels a quick online search would have brought up old news stories about his case in the US media like this one from 2003. https://www.poynter.org/reporting-editing/2003/seven-priests-wont-face-sex-charges/

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If parents didn't pull their kids out of that school knowing who was teaching them, I hope they do after reading that eyesore of a press release.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If parents didn't pull their kids out of that school knowing who was teaching them, I hope they do after reading that eyesore of a press release.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
My thoughts exactly

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
After reading this, the fact that this man was able to secure a teaching position with young children confirms that one day Bernie Madoff will return to exact financial murder on many others. Man- the only animal that will trip over the same stone twice.