Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So what is to be done?

I am going to die within the next 3 to 6 months. I have no problem with dying, but I worry my affairs are in a mess. I have had a Dominican wife for more than five years. I am not a legal resident here in DR, but have lived here for 18 years. My US passport has expired. I have a little more than $100,000 in life-insurance, which is not much if my wife has to pay for a lawyer. I have no family in the United States, so I will be buried here in DR. I have done my research, and it does not seem easy to claim my life insurance from an American company while I am in DR. I even read my next-of-kin may be arrested while police investigate my death, because I am not Dominican. That seems insane. Does anybody here have experience with the collecting of life-insurance from an American company while living in DR . Thank you

2. Likes reilleyp liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by viguy007 View Post
    I am going to die within the next 3 to 6 months. I have no problem with dying, but I worry my affairs are in a mess. I have had a Dominican wife for more than five years. I am not a legal resident here in DR, but have lived here for 18 years. My US passport has expired. I have a little more than $100,000 in life-insurance, which is not much if my wife has to pay for a lawyer. I have no family in the United States, so I will be buried here in DR. I have done my research, and it does not seem easy to claim my life insurance from an American company while I am in DR. I even read my next-of-kin may be arrested while police investigate my death, because I am not Dominican. That seems insane. Does anybody here have experience with the collecting of life-insurance from an American company while living in DR . Thank you
    Truly sorry to hear about your plight. Is there absolutely no way that you could travel to the United States as soon as possible and remain there? Would the life insurance transfer to your spouse even if she is not a U.S. citizen or resident?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
    Truly sorry to hear about your plight. Is there absolutely no way that you could travel to the United States as soon as possible and remain there? Would the life insurance transfer to your spouse even if she is not a U.S. citizen or resident?
    By no means am I a legal expert but first thing I would do is make sure the spouse is listed as primary beneficiary and also have a secondary beneficiary. Like I said no expert but what difference would it make if the spouse is not an American citizen?

5. Likes Russell liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with bigbird. First, make certain your wife is the primary beneficiary and that you have a secondary. A life insurance policy is a contract and it should not matter whether the third-party beneficiary is in, or a citizen of, the DR, the US, or wherever, unless there is a provision in the policy that states to the contrary. Definitely do not hesitate to check with your insurance company to be sure. Even if you are in the US at the time of your decease it won't matter if there are limitations on who is eligible to be a beneficiary under the terms of your insurance contract. I wish you all the best and pray that you do not encounter a problem resolving this issue.

7. Likes bigbird liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

just to add to what RonS has said, make sure the spouse has the policy in her possession and a photo copy is a safe place.

9. Likes Russell liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Generally speaking, most policies/companies require an original death certificate, then they will release the money to the primary beneficiaries. I received checks, but possibly a wire transfer could be made. To simplify things, consider opening a dollar savings account in your wife’s name.

Administrator
    DR1.com

11. Likes Russell liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

May I also suggest you contact the life insurance company and ask them how you can guarantee she'll get paid. That's what I would do.

13. Likes KyleMackey, Russell liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by viguy007 View Post
    My condolences on your illness/diagnosis.

Having advised a US resident in similar circumstances......

1. If you have not done so, and if you are able, please register your presence in the DR with the US Embassy.

2. Redundant and already suggested, please make sure your beneficiary designation(s) are as you want them, AND if it is your Dominican wife who will be beneficiary, PLEASE put her name on the beneficiary designation form exactly as it appears on her Cedula.

3. Have a certified Marriage Certificate In Extensa with an English translation.

4. Due to the high amount of insurance fraud globally.......and especially in third world countries.......please gather any current medical records/diagnosis available to supplement your eventual certificate of death.

5. I am a bit concerned you have no current valid identification, so you might wish if you are physically able, to renew your passport. In the alternative, if you could at least obtain a Dominican drivers license, not sure you can get one without a valid passport/license......and/or the immigration hassles that getting one may entail.

6. Proceeds can be made payable to your beneficiary and wired into their account..........assuming they have one. A wire is the cheapest and most effective way to accomplish this..........but note that not all insurance companies will do wire transfers.....check with your insurer............and while you are doing so, you will want to let them know of your condition, and what, if anything, you can do now, to avoid inevitable delays after your passing.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

15. Likes AlterEgo, KateP liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    By no means am I a legal expert but first thing I would do is make sure the spouse is listed as primary beneficiary and also have a secondary beneficiary. Like I said no expert but what difference would it make if the spouse is not an American citizen?
    For tax reasons she must have a Social Security number or Federal tax ID #. She must pay taxes on this money

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    For tax reasons she must have a Social Security number or Federal tax ID #. She must pay taxes on this money
    I am not a CPA, however I know inheritance is not considered income, nor is it subject to income tax.
    OP needs to talk to the insurance carrier, not count on a bunch of 1/2 wits on a forum guessing.

18. Likes nigrarosa, bienamor, Fulano2, CristoRey liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast