Where is everyone from??

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
I just was wondering where everyone is originally from, and what made you first become interested in the DR? I will start, I am from a city in Central Massachusetts. I became interested in the DR after meeting my husband who was born and raised in Tenares, RD. He has just finished building a house and bought a colmado combo pool hall there. He has been there for the past 5 weeks getting the last things done on the house and is coming back next week to help me close up our apartment here. We will be officially moving there June 25th as soon as school is out here. We will be living on the road that runs all the way from Gasper Hernandez to Tenares about 3 miles before coming into the town of Tenares. I have been there 7 times and loved it but I know it will be much different actually living there. Kathy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I hope the electricity situation is better where you will be living than it is reported to be in Gaspar Hernandez. Our cleaning women is from there and she complains bitterly about the problems with electricity and also with water. Her analysis, and she is probably right, is that because this is a poor area and because many do not pay their bills that the electric company has little motivation to provide good service. If you find this is true where you live, then you can solve your problem with a "planta", generator. They are widely available for purchase in the Dominican Republic, but well out of the price range of our cleaning women and her friends in Gaspar Hernandez.

Good luck.

R&JRivas

Apr 28, 2002
I live in Naples Florida and have been married to my husband for 19 years, he is from Palo Verde RD. We have two children 13 & 9. My husband will be leaving for RD next week to purchase Lot in Mao (for later uses) and apartment in Santiago (for summer, christmas ect ect). Hoping to spend summers in Santiago so children can learn spanish.

Are you going to live there all year?

R&J

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Kathy
I am from central Massachusetts also. What town are you in now? I live in Charlton, Ma. Also, where in the DR is Tenares? I have lived in Santo Domingo and Jaun Dolio in the past but have never heard of Tenares. I imagine that not too many people have heard of Charlton either though. LOL
Good Luck

jasencio

May 15, 2002
I need a spy............

I need a spy to keep an eye on my husband willing to pay big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

He lives in Los Mino SD

please reply only if serious

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
I can recommend a good PI our firm uses in Puerto Rico. I believe his rates are $100.00USD per hour plus all expenses

Janice

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Massholes rule!!

Kathy and Dulce. I'm also from Mass. Westfield, near the Conn. River/Rte 91.

A hill town, (we have Hillbilly's too, but none as famous as the DR's)

Now living in Santo Domingo.

Beisbol is what got me interested in the DR.

9/11 got me to move here.

The people are what's going to keep me here.

The politics (especially the moronic/absurd/ludicrous posters) and stray dogs are what's going to eventually drive me back to the states, or crazy, or both.

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
Dulce, you found someone who HAS heard of Charlton, I am your neighbor, LOL. I live in Worcester. Also Tenares is closer to the north. It is halfway between San Francisco de Macoris and Salcedo. Cleef, your part of the state is beautiful, especially in the fall!!!!! Ken, one of the things my husband was doing was getting a generator and connecting to the house and colmado. He also had one of those big black tank things put on top of the roof so when the electricity is out there will still be water. I am planning to stay year round at least for now and put my daughter in a colegio but also do stuff at home with her so she stays up to speed in english as well. The colegios in his town are spanish speaking only. Even if I had a choice I would have put her in spanish only. Does anyone have any idea how long approx. it would take for my girls to understand and speak spanish if they are totally immersed except with me. They are 6 and 2 1/2 and are fairly smart. I just can't imagine myself but I know with kids it is supposed to be pretty quick. I do speak fairly fluent spanish. Thanks!! Also my husband is a US cit. can he stay there indefin. even though he had been a US perm resident?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
from the other side

I'm living in the beautiful Comox Valley on Vancouver Island with my wife Yris from Jarabacoa. We go there every summer for about 5-6 weeks. We have 3 boys age 12,14, and 17. We will be living in Jarabacoa in 5 years time, when the last of the boys finish high school. We already have several houses in Jarabacoa and property in Moca. I love going out into my mother-in-law's yards and taking my joice of a dozen different kinds of fruit right off the tree.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
LOPTKA,

Your daughters will be speaking Spanish very rapidly. They will soon be more at home with the language than you are.

I am glad to hear that you plan to speak English in the home, and that you do work with them in that subject. It is their native language, after all, and they should be able to switch easily between schools in the two countries. You may want to think about getting at least the English course from a good correspondence school like Calvert.

Ken

PS: Tanks on the roof are very common in this country, since interruption of water service is possible almost anywhere. In places like Gaspar Hernandez is is very common, but even in the area of Sosua where I live there are interruptions during periods of drought. Also, the water pipes in the ground (usually plastic) are subject to breaks, which means the water is shut off while the leak is found and replaced.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Does anyone have any idea how long approx. it would take for my girls to understand and speak spanish if they are totally immersed except with me.

Your children, within one month of playing with other children, will know many words. My school had an English class, plus we spoke English at home. I spent my siestas reading Nancy Drew novels in English, and my evenings with my friends on the porch - they spoke Spanish, and I learned. I lucked out. By the end of the year, I was placed in 3rd/4th year combined Spanish class back in the states. There was a native speaker who placed in 2nd year solely due to grammar.

Your girls should do much better than that. Plus, your knowing Spanish will help if they have questions even if you do maintain an English-speaking home. Make sure they learn how to spell correctly in Spanish, though. I can't remember how long before I learned "pe'cueso" had an "s" in there.

:)

Good luck to you. Life can be so exciting!

hbernard

Apr 18, 2002
I'm from...

Hello, I'm from Ottawa Ontario Canada, beautifull wife and 2 daughters Dominican at hart J.P.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Well...

I was born in Ohio, but raised in West (by God!) Virginia (guess that makes me a Hillbilly like my hero, HB!). I've spent most of my adult life, except 3 yrs in NYC & 4 in Santo Domingo, in Northern Virginia, near DC. I & my family live there now. My wife was born & raised in SD, lived in NYC before she met me & I persuaded her to move to NVa. My twins were born in NVa, but spent yrs 4-8 in SD. They're about as bilingual & bicultural as one can be. We spoke mostly English at home while in SD, speak mostly Spanish here at home in NVa. Hope to get them to learn French and/or Portuguese someday soon ...
Best Regards,
Keith

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Great appreciation for all these bi-cultural/bi-lingual families

That place above Tenares is gorgeous, absolutely beautiful..
As for schooling, just be sure they have a rich environment at home.
As for hubby's US . citizenship, be sure to register at the Consulate, there is no problem...

All the best,

HB
needs_a_shave.gif

Everyone knows, I'm from Santiago

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
1357 members and only 15 replies to this thread!

Hmmmm......
Anyhooo....I'm from Canada.
North Bay,Ontario to be exact!

Mickey

Mar 3, 2002
I'm from Ottawa Canada, studying au l'Universite d'Ottawa. RD will be mine.... oh yes..... it will be mine....

AmbiorixPaulino

Apr 24, 2002
www.geocities.com
Here's a lot of information about me.
My name is Ambiorix(space)Paulino. I am from San Francisco de macor?s(soy de un campo, loma de la joya, no del pueblo). I'm 21. I live in the Bronx, NY (did you know that there's a Bronx in Wyoming? And that Wyoming's Dominican population is 5? I think somebody took a wrong turn...-It's cold up there) Elementary School= P.S. 47, Junior High School= F.L.A.G.S., High School=Samuel Gompers/H.S.E.S., Undergraduate=S.U.N.Y. Albany/S.U.N.Y. Stony Brook. Intended Majors=Psychology/Spanish. Intended job=Bilingual Psychologist(NYC) Current Job=summer Camp Counselor(kids) Status=taken(she's Czech). My AOL Screename=euphigma=Euthanasia(easy death)Philanthropist(I like people)Freud(father of psychology)
Psychological status=want to go home(DR) :) but taking in as much as the world has to give me.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
52, Woodstock NY trying to retire now and in the future DR N. Coast. Married but separated for 1 1/2 years 10 1/2 year old daughter who is the light of my eye, and an 87 year old dad that I love and care for.