Help from Locals - Please

harpseal11

Mar 22, 2019
Hello all-

I am traveling to La Descubierta for three weeks in April/May for work. We need to purchase a propane/GLP powered freezer. I am not having any luck finding a store that carries GLP freezers. Does anyone have any ideas about where to purchase one? My Spanish is not very good (I'm working on it) but I will not be able to communicate if I were to start calling around. We will be flying into Santo Domingo, so any store between Santo Domingo and the west side of the country would be great.

Thank you!!!

DesdeSantiago

Mar 17, 2019
I tried something like "neveras que funcionan con gas república dominicana" on Google but couldn't find anything. Perhaps stoping in one of the towns on your there you'll find something. The towns of Baní, Azua, Barahona (assuming you will be going from Santo Domingo). Good luck.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Try searching freezer de gas propano Republica Dominicana and opciones (classifieds) pop up but also the link I posted above.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I’ve been watching this...
Propane fridges/freezers do exist... I have seen them... northern Ontario at a fishing club

Whether they are here ... la Rep Dom.... I cant say... but they can be had

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I’ve been watching this...
Propane fridges/freezers do exist... I have seen them... northern Ontario at a fishing club

Whether they are here ... la Rep Dom.... I cant say... but they can be had

Up in the mountains above La Descubierta almost every one has one. I've also seen ones running on kerosene.

FWIW, if it were me I'd get there first and start asking people where they got theirs.

I bet you can buy them locally there as well.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I've just checked the prices of LPG fridges on Amazon.com and they are all coming in at about the US$ 800 + mark. And usually any white goods are more expensive in Dom Rep than they are on Amazon.com. I'm just wondering whether it's going to be economical to buy one. Why do you need the LPG?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've just checked the prices of LPG fridges on Amazon.com and they are all coming in at about the US$ 800 + mark. And usually any white goods are more expensive in Dom Rep than they are on Amazon.com. I'm just wondering whether it's going to be economical to buy one. Why do you need the LPG?

I forgot to mention in my post that everyone has one because there is no electricity in a lot of areas. I'm guessing that's the OP's reason.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Exactly how I encountered one in the northern woods fishing camp.

No power on little islands....
Propane fridge.. lights ... the works

RD must be the same in some areas.... devoid of luz

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
You learn something new everyday. Great concept, especially here in DR. I am surprised a dominican has not found a way to do conversions as of yet. Or, atleast that I know of. Let us know if you find one. Good Luck!!

DesdeSantiago

Mar 17, 2019
The use of GLP appliances, in the DR, is mainly for savings (cost of electricity too high) not lack of power. LPG Dryers everywhere, in the main stores, Corripio, Plaza Lama, La Sirena, etc. Refrigerators don't consume that much, they're very efficient.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I forgot to mention in my post that everyone has one because there is no electricity in a lot of areas. I'm guessing that's the OP's reason.

The use of GLP appliances, in the DR, is mainly for savings (cost of electricity too high) not lack of power. LPG Dryers everywhere, in the main stores, Corripio, Plaza Lama, La Sirena, etc. Refrigerators don't consume that much, they're very efficient.

You two need to talk to each other.

Reminds me of Portugal years ago...

All sorts of power lines.. very few connected to houses

Yes, I have a gas dryer....power savings

I am very aware of my power usage....all solar house

My water impeller and my fridge are the biggest users.
The new fridges are much better...inverter type

Last edited: