Thread: What a pain

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What a pain

I want to contact my life insurance company (AARP) and tell them I am in the Dominican Republic. Their contacts include regular mail and a toll-free telephone number. Claro does not let you make calls to the Toll-Free (800) numbers. The work around I found (880) does not work either. Any suggestions? Thank you

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If you know someone with Magic Jack you can call 800 numbers.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by viguy007 View Post
    I want to contact my life insurance company (AARP) and tell them I am in the Dominican Republic. Their contacts include regular mail and a toll-free telephone number. Claro does not let you make calls to the Toll-Free (800) numbers. The work around I found (880) does not work either. Any suggestions? Thank you
    Yes, go to its website and get the telephone number that uses the true area code, i.e., the non-toll-free number. That should work.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Using Skype will allow you to call 1-800 numbers free of charge.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

This is their international number (not toll free).........1-202-434-3525........can be called until 11:00 PM ET............or [email protected] your name, member number, your info request......

Good luck.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

6. Likes AlterEgo, keepcoming liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I go to a Wi-Fi spot and dial.... works well with an iPhone

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by playacaribe2 View Post
    This is their international number (not toll free).........1-202-434-3525........can be called until 11:00 PM ET............or [email protected] your name, member number, your info request......

Good luck.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2
    Please disregard the above number as that will only get you to AARP...............and you really need to speak with the insurer for AARP............and that according to one of my clients who owns an insurance brokerage is NYLife.

And as luck would have it..................that number is (813) 288-5700 in Tampa, Florida....or www.nylaarp.com. Should you find a way to make toll free calls..1-800-695-5164.

NYLife does not normally do wire transfers for beneficiaries...........so please make sure your beneficiary also has a bank account.

Again.....good luck.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2
    Last edited by playacaribe2; 03-26-2019 at 06:14 PM.

9. Likes keepcoming liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I have life insurance through AARP/ NY Life. Go on-line to newyorklife/aarp.com and you can set up an account with password to be able to access your account and update personal information on-line. Very simple. Why are you telling them that you are in the DR? Any particular reason for this? I'm assuming that the DR is now your permanent address?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Skype, Skype, Skype. Sign up deposit $10.00 and talk whenever you want for next to nothing per minute.
    This really isn't difficult. You can use it on a PC, Mac, Android or iPhone.

If you move here this is one thing I recommend everyone have. The other is a 2-sim cell phone with one chip being your home cell number so you can receive text messages from the banks, credit card companies or Amazon, etc.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

To me a Magic Jack is the greatest thing to have here. You get a US number, from any State you want. People in the US call you for nothing and you also pay nothing to call the US and Canada. It is used as a regular phone, no headset,etc. And of course 800 numbers are like dialing from Miami. And you don't even need your computer to be on. Hooks up to the router.