Dominican Drivers

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Dump truck rides into the Caribbean Sea
One person died and two were injured after the driver of a dump truck lost control on Monday, 25 March 2019, at Km 17 of the Las Americas Expressway near the entrance to the Hipódromo V Centenario. The dump truck fell into the Caribbean Sea. Hundreds of bystanders stopped to watch the tragedy. Units of the Ministry of Public Works and the Transit and Ground Transport Agency (Digesett), the Firemen of Santo Domingo East were sent to the scene.

http://z101digital.com/un-muerto-y-d...-las-americas/
https://www.diariolibre.com/actualid...cas-DG12410201

Ok, so I knew before moving here 12+ years ago that Dominicans are lousy drivers but how this truck driver could end up in the Sea on that straight road boggles the mind. I can only imagine that either he was cutting off another driver or that another driver cut him off.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
While your theory is plausible, I'd put my money on one or more blown tires - weakened and tread bare from continually being overloaded with excess weight, poor driving practices and the lack of regular daily inspections or preventative maintenance.

You see these trucks all the time traveling at high speeds on the highways with wobbly wheels and so little rubber left that the smallest object on the road can comprise the tire.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I would bet on another alcohol involved accident. Crashing into the sea beside a grave yard is a bit ironic.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Probably on WhatsApp with his wife and two other baby mamas at the same time

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Regardless RIP to the poor guy. That's a terrible way to go

I'm surprised they haven't reported what happened. There were two other guys in the truck with him.

I'd guess he was moving pretty fast, blew a front tire and lost control.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I am amazed that there are not a lot more accidents …….most Dominicans do not have a clue about driving or the rules of the road

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I am amazed that there are not a lot more accidents …….most Dominicans do not have a clue about driving or the rules of the road

So true. The majority of drivers here are "point and go" drivers. That's why you'll see them squeezing into the smallest spaces as long as their vehicle advances.

Normal drivers understand driving is a mental exercise which includes constant processing and reacting to everything going on around them.

It's abundantly clear local drivers do no such thing.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As JDJones says (which I hadn't read when I was typing)

Point and go is about the extent of it. Lots do not have the "smarts" to understand the physics behind motion, speed, force and mass. For that matter, very few actually think of driving in those terms and the results are the carnage we see everyday, everywhere that F=ma comes into play.