"If they can have her, why can't we? Report details how police rape and torture sex

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

The last time I looked Prostitution was legal in the DR. The article written is basing her whole premise on the statement that "sex work is illegal". That being said, no one should be abused by the police and anyone else. Without a doubt there are bad people in this world, which includes bad cops who have nothing better to do than abuse their power. This article does not surprise me. Prostitution in the DR is sanctioned but not regulated except perhaps by the local constabulary who want their cut for having to put up with the "problem". Unfortunately, sex workers, have to put up with crooked cops and a-h johns. That's the nature of the beast. This article really doesn't shed any light on a story that's been going on forever.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
the article as a piece of journalism stinks. Surely just a filler as the staff at the root are likely flummoxed by Jussie.

community service my arse.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Cops take advantage of hookers that is true.
I've seen it with my own eyes cops entering a holding cell for the women and heard it with my own ears that they were getting their rocks off.
One girl told a cop to hurry because she had to go back to work to make some money. "Quiero mi cuarto". ;)

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I had to Google "cisgender female". Still haven't figured out and memorized all these idiotic new genders that liberals have come up with. How many are there anyway - 6-7?

Anyway, what difference does it make what gender these sex workers are? They shouldn't be getting abused by the police.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Yes, when an article's opening sentence is wrong, it's hard to trust the rest of it.

Or people don’t know how to read. The opening sentence of the article is “Sex work is legal in the Dominican Republic.”

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Or people don’t know how to read. The opening sentence of the article is “Sex work is legal in the Dominican Republic.”

Or... the article was corrected

Corrected: Friday, 3/29/19, 10:45 am EDT: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that sex work is illegal in the Dominican Republic. Sex work is legal, although sex work involving a third party (like brothel-keeping or pimping) is technically prohibited.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

Corrected: Friday, 3/29/19, 10:45 am EDT: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that sex work is illegal in the Dominican Republic. Sex work is legal, although sex work involving a third party (like brothel-keeping or pimping) is technically prohibited.

It was changed. It first read sex work is illegal in the Dominican Republic like in most countries or something to that effect. I just wonder if it was an intentional error or not in the first place.

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
I am the person who actually emailed the writer. Her attitude was kind of like its not really a big deal, and writers are happy to correct thier mistakes. She mentioned she didnt understand the tone of my email.

The fact that she uses terms like cisgender in an article about hookers in the dominican Republic tells me all I need to know about her research in Dominican Republic.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I am the person who actually emailed the writer. Her attitude was kind of like its not really a big deal, and writers are happy to correct thier mistakes. She mentioned she didnt understand the tone of my email.

The fact that she uses terms like cisgender in an article about hookers in the dominican Republic tells me all I need to know about her research in Dominican Republic.

Check her BIO.. she has ZERO experience in the DR.... she is a clueless " creative writer" from a Southern Calif Univ, her home is Virginia and she also went to school in NC ..
It states she has " traveled to Vietnam and Colombia" to teach English .. her Bio makes no mention whatsoever of her ever even stepping foot on Dominican Soil .. .much less studying anything about the Culture ..

Clueless would be an understatement..

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

What kind of "normal" person uses "cisgender" in their vocabulary? Knowing what it is and using it are two entirely different things.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

Yes, sometimes it's better to pause before being rude!

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
Check her BIO.. she has ZERO experience in the DR.... she is a clueless " creative writer" from a Southern Calif Univ, her home is Virginia and she also went to school in NC ..
It states she has " traveled to Vietnam and Colombia" to teach English .. her Bio makes no mention whatsoever of her ever even stepping foot on Dominican Soil .. .much less studying anything about the Culture ..

Clueless would be an understatement..

An extremely left leaning creative writer, a bunch of her other articles were suggested to me, after reading this on. Think along the lines Of AOC blogging.

Last edited:

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
What kind of "normal" person uses "cisgender" in their vocabulary? Knowing what it is and using it are two entirely different things.

Could not agree more. But didnt want to offend and of the Binary Fluid that reads DR1... lol. Its really insane the lengths people go to to be PC. Part of the reason why I love DR.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
An extremely left leaning creative writer, a bunch of her other articles were suggested. Think along the lines Of AOC

Even her Vietnam Trip lacks credibility as well ...
Traveling to such a Far away place to teach English is very admirable at first glance

.... but I think she tagged along with her Friend / Partner who is part Vietnamese, a "performing Artist" , they have a video on U tube about exploring her Vietnam Heritage while she is doing some cooking ..

Probably a long vacation. nothing more, and she went along for the ride.. turned that into a " teaching English" Trip..

Creative writing indeed .
This woman really lacks Credibility..