Stroke at Very Young Age

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I just want wveryone to know that almost a month ago I had a stroke on the back of the head by the cerebrum. I was discharge this past Sunday and will be attending more therapy for following months.

Right now I have right half of face paralyzed, although I at least feel some sensation. Three weeks ago I didn’t feel anything. Also my right arm and leg are weaker than left side, which is normal. I still need a walker to help with walking, but doctors say it will take 2 more weeks to be able to walk without walker. They also say it will take a couple of months for right side of face to be functional to 90%. Everybody is surprised, including doctors, because I’m in early 30s and already had a stroke. All doctors are also surprised how fast I’m recovering and they all say its because I’m young, but still a long way to feel close to normal.

I have to take high blood pressure pills. I hope everyone calls 911 even if its nothing. My stroke happened with getting dizzy and more dizzy. My left arm felt weaker too. By the time paramedics were talking to me I had slur speech and they know what it was and took me to emergency. I also threw up multiple times in emergency, so they cut through all the pants, shirts, etc. Then I passed out and wake up in emergency room with tubes in my mouth. I try to tell them the tubes would hit the back of my throat and would make me throw up again, but I couldn’t talk. I bit hard on the tube to prevent throw ups of salivas at this point, but I threw up another five times because I would let go with my teeth of tube and then it would touch back of my throat. They took tube off on third or fourth day.

I also lost an iPhone and a Burberry watch. Its not a big deal considering what I went through, but everyone think it was stolen. The watch was worth around $650 dollars and phone slightly less, that’s why everyone think it was stolen. Thankfully the wallet with all debit and credit card was left alone.

I remember everything, but forget some words at times. I also tell both sides to step or move fast, but only left side move fast. The right side moves very slowly.

I hope everyone calls 911 or heads to emergency as soon as start to feel dizzy, even if its nothing. Doctos said that I was very lucky, because stroke was big and most people die within 24 hours. If I had waited just a few minutes I would have died, so call 911 or head to emergency immediately, even if later the doctors say it was nothing. You never know.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Wishing you a full and Speedy Recovery...
And Thank you for the Good Advice, perhaps it will help another person.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
So sorry to hear this. Hoping for a speedy recovery, take care of yourself.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Wow. Very sorry to hear this. It had to be very traumatic. I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

Samana_Sanchez

Nov 22, 2014
Glad to hear you are making a speedy recovery Nals. I don't want to offend you, however having a stroke at such a young age, is this to do with your life style choices i.e do you drink and smoke reguarly. Reason I ask I'm a similar age to yourself and my life style choices are questionable at times.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I'm hoping this is an April Fools prank...
I didn’t remember its April fools. Unfortunately, its real. I had to wake up to take the pills.

Thank you for the kind words.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Glad to hear you are making a speedy recovery Nals. I don't want to offend you, however having a stroke at such a young age, is this to do with your life style choices i.e do you drink and smoke reguarly. Reason I ask I'm a similar age to yourself and my life style choices are questionable at times.
No smoke or drink much. Doctors are puzzled too. They asi me if I hit my head several times, but each time I said no. The conclusion they got is that it happens out in f the blue sometimes.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I hope you make a quick recovery, be in good spirit, that's the most important thing, think of it as a second chance in life... !

Just wanted to ask, did this happen in DR...!? In any case, well done to paramedics and doctors who saved your life.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
NALS
My friend's wife just had this.
It was a restricted artery in the back of her neck.... they put in a stent.

Nothing to do with lifestyle... a deformity of sorts.

MRI, CT Scans etc.... were what discovered her problems..... and not on the first try.

Be careful... strokes rarely travel alone.... a friend follows
My friend's wife had 2 in a week

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
are you obese? sedentary lifestyle? high blood pressure before the stroke?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

First thing that entered my mind. In any event, I hope your recovery is quick Nals.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Sorry to hear, didn't realize you were so young.

With the meds get yourself a weekly pill container. Some have AM/PM compartments. There will be times you won't remember if you took your meds or not and the container will help.

Don't mess around with the high blood pressure. They call it the silent killer. I know this for a fact as i lost my brother at age 55 six months ago. His pressure shot up so high in medical terms he had hypertensive emergency. In other words docs have two minutes to two hours to get the pressure under control. He was too late calling 911 and a blood vessel blew around his brain and the rest is history.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
NALS
My friend's wife just had this.
It was a restricted artery in the back of her neck.... they put in a stent.

Nothing to do with lifestyle... a deformity of sorts.

MRI, CT Scans etc.... were what discovered her problems..... and not on the first try.

Be careful... strokes rarely travel alone.... a friend follows
My friend's wife had 2 in a week
Had 1 MRI and 6 CTScans. They waited to see if needed part of the skull removed to allow space where brain can expand and then put back together when brain get to right size, but no surgery was needed.

Mostly sedentary lifestyle and now have to take blood pressure pills 3 times a day and aspirin 1 time a day. It was a blokage that went from chest area to the brain, and there got stuck and gave me the stroke. I can also not hear from right side ear. Some doctors say its permanent and other doctors that it will come back in next few month, we wait and see.