Duty/taxes on security camera systems

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Any experience or advise on the tax/import fee for bringing in this or similar $2000 camera system. https://www.costco.com/.product.1310241.html

Option 1 shipped as an additional item to a barrel.

Option 2 with luggage before Christmas.

Option 3 with luggage during Christmas period.

System comes with 16 cameras capable of 32.

Would rather not wait till Christmas

Thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Any mudanza... doesn't even need to be a barrel.

My friend is bringing tons of car parts... all new brakes, suspension etc.....
by mudanza/// in boxes not a barrel

The courier will be costly for
1/ freight
2/aduana

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Any mudanza... doesn't even need to be a barrel.

My friend is bringing tons of car parts... all new brakes, suspension etc.....
by mudanza/// in boxes not a barrel

The courier will be costly for
1/ freight
2/aduana
I will be getting a price send mudanza from NY. I thought i saw on dr1 that security cameras were tax free. Is this true? What is the best company to currently use? Have not sent anything in a while.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Can't answer the tax free question..

In NYC , I use Jesus Parra at Awlida in Corona NY.
Ship it to him and he'll quote you a price - payable in advance or on delivery in RD

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Can't answer the tax free question..

In NYC , I use Jesus Parra at Awlida in Corona NY.
Ship it to him and he'll quote you a price - payable in advance or on delivery in RD
Do you have a number Awlida or Jesus directly. I have used Monumental who then changed name to Espanola also in corona. Wonder if they are all the same firm.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Cam info.

Have been mailing/talking with Luperon and gave him access to view one of our cams. Found this Video that is well done.

After trying other cams that failed within a couple of months, we tried a couple of indoor Nest cams. We now have 6 indoor (2 recording outside through window glass.) and 6 outdoor. Don't have the Alexa or the fancy TV. lol (Now I want...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41ytKVQOZJY

They are taxed. We usually buy them at Best Buy when in the U.S., un-package them and in luggage so no tax (lol) or via Amazon, shipped and taxed. We did upgrade our routers and our internet is good enough most of the time. When that slows or is over loaded during the day, I can turn off some cams and gain some speed/band width. Have the 5 day storage plan for 6 cams. U.S. $50. per cam per year.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
This might be unwanted advice but you would be way better off buying a local system. It will be cheaper, similar quality, and when things go wrong there will be people that understand/recognize the equipment. If that complicated system of an unknown brand breaks down here nobody is going to know what to do with it. Just some friendly advice.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
How much stuff can you bring in December?? Are there specific dates?

Yes there are specific dates, usually a $3000 USD exemption, but it’s supposedly for Dominican citizens who have been out of the country at least 6 months. Dates and amount of exemption are announced usually in November. And.....this is for those traveling into DR, it’s not for items mailed or shipped in.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
So it doesnt apply to permanent residents like us? Need to give the propina in the suitcase line?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I will get at couple of the nest to compliment the 32 camera poe system I hope to install soon. Thanks for all the great advice.

Luperon, so what did you end up doing with the security cameras?

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Luperon, so what did you end up doing with the security cameras?
Sent the $2000 Costco system for a $150 fee alongside a barrel(35 to buy 100 to send) using Embarque La Española
East Elmhurst, NY 11369
(718) 779-2020.

Also sent 1000 ft roll of cat6 burial grade cable for $20.

And a huge bounty paper towel for free.

Lets see how many of the 16 cameras and if the NVR and accessories arrive in Santiago

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
BM Cargo confirmed today - no tax on security camera systems, regardless of the price.
That is great news. But I bet if u fly into sti with an expensive system they will try and charge you.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
That is great news. But I bet if u fly into sti with an expensive system they will try and charge you.

You never know. Here is another answer from a different courier company -

"This item don’t pay gravamen but always will pay the 18% of Itbis. If is from china pays all even the gravamen that will be a 38% percent."

What is "gravamen"??? I constantly buy stuff from China and ship here, never paid anything other than 220 Pesos per lb.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
You never know. Here is another answer from a different courier company -

"This item don’t pay gravamen but always will pay the 18% of Itbis. If is from china pays all even the gravamen that will be a 38% percent."

What is "gravamen"??? I constantly buy stuff from China and ship here, never paid anything other than 220 Pesos per lb.
That's always the big DR problem...."you never know"