Opportunities in Las Terrenas

GJV

Apr 3, 2019
Good day everyone,

My wife and I are considering a trip to Las Terrenas soon to take a look at business opportunities and to possibly relocate permanently. We have been living and working in the Caribbean for the past 4 years; 3 in Jamaica and the last year in Grand Cayman. We are both Canadians and my wife is also Colombian & speaks fluent Spanish &
English. We have extensive experience in hotels, restaurants and other businesses.

Can anyone offer advice, information or any other tidbits that would help us with our new adventure and/or decision. Safety, staying long-term, accommodation rentals, weather, opportunities, etc. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and cheers!

G.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
With all due respect, you're going about this all wrong... lol

Seriously, good thing you joined here. There is an encyclopedia of information on here about moving here (Rule #1. Don't buy, rent) starting a business, where to live and everything else you want to know.

A trip to visit is a great start.

GJV

Apr 3, 2019
With all due respect, you're going about this all wrong... lol

Seriously, good thing you joined here. There is an encyclopedia of information on here about moving here (Rule #1. Don't buy, rent) starting a business, where to live and everything else you want to know.

A trip to visit is a great start.

Thanks JD!

Will follow up with specific questions as this unfolds. Cheers!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Some food for thought:

Wet Blanket Alert

Good Luck! Just be aware the DR is a very difficult and frustrating country to be in a business. That's not to say it's impossible, but caveat emptor...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I will say what I always do in this situation. The DR is a place where some people can successfully retire, some just won't like it here.

I do not recommend that anyone come here if they need to rely on the profits from a business in order to live comfortably.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Been going to LT for almost a decade, it s a hard place to do business, very few succeed. You will have a lot of people who will try to sell you theirs on the other hand.

The way I see it is that the profitable ones have no reasons to sell, so be careful.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Can anyone offer advice, information or any other tidbits that would help us with our new adventure and/or decision..

Start a company back home and run it remotely from down here.
Works for some...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
After 4 yrs in the Caribbean.... they might call it home.

With island experience, they may have heard these several helpful comments before.
Can it be much different ?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Good day everyone,

My wife and I are considering a trip to Las Terrenas soon to take a look at business opportunities and to possibly relocate permanently. We have been living and working in the Caribbean for the past 4 years; 3 in Jamaica and the last year in Grand Cayman. We are both Canadians and my wife is also Colombian & speaks fluent Spanish &
English. We have extensive experience in hotels, restaurants and other businesses.

Can anyone offer advice, information or any other tidbits that would help us with our new adventure and/or decision. Safety, staying long-term, accommodation rentals, weather, opportunities, etc. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

G.

You are asking a lot. My first question would be, why are you leaving Grand Cayman? My second question is if you moved to the DR would you still have a monthly income or is your income based on working for others? Just like moving to any place new there is a learning curve. I'm sure you have experience this in the other places you have lived. In LT there are many ex-pats from Europe, predominantly from France. Many of these people own businesses, such as restaurants, clothing and jewelry stores and other services. Due to the fact that there are many Europeans from just about every country living in LT, you will find goods and services that you may not find in other parts of the DR. The town is spread out over a wide area and you can find just about anything you need. The scenery on the Samana Peninsula is fantastic. There are many eco-tourism related businesses that take advantage of this. If you plan on living and working in the DR you will need to get residency. This is not an easy process, nor is it inexpensive. Not to get to far ahead, you should plan a trip and possibly get together with a local realtor to show you around the area. I would recommend Beachtown Properties. The owner is Helen Mitchell and she and her husband are originally from England and have lived in the LT for many, many years. She will definitely give you honest information about the town and possible opportunities. Boots on the ground is the best way to get a true picture. Good luck.

GJV

Apr 3, 2019
You are asking a lot. My first question would be, why are you leaving Grand Cayman? My second question is if you moved to the DR would you still have a monthly income or is your income based on working for others? Just like moving to any place new there is a learning curve. I'm sure you have experience this in the other places you have lived. In LT there are many ex-pats from Europe, predominantly from France. Many of these people own businesses, such as restaurants, clothing and jewelry stores and other services. Due to the fact that there are many Europeans from just about every country living in LT, you will find goods and services that you may not find in other parts of the DR. The town is spread out over a wide area and you can find just about anything you need. The scenery on the Samana Peninsula is fantastic. There are many eco-tourism related businesses that take advantage of this. If you plan on living and working in the DR you will need to get residency. This is not an easy process, nor is it inexpensive. Not to get to far ahead, you should plan a trip and possibly get together with a local realtor to show you around the area. I would recommend Beachtown Properties. The owner is Helen Mitchell and she and her husband are originally from England and have lived in the LT for many, many years. She will definitely give you honest information about the town and possible opportunities. Boots on the ground is the best way to get a true picture. Good luck.

Thanks for your feedback and contact suggestion. Feedback is always helpful. Cheers!

GJV

Apr 3, 2019
Been going to LT for almost a decade, it s a hard place to do business, very few succeed. You will have a lot of people who will try to sell you theirs on the other hand.

The way I see it is that the profitable ones have no reasons to sell, so be careful.

Agreed. Thanks for your feedback.

GJV

Apr 3, 2019
I will say what I always do in this situation. The DR is a place where some people can successfully retire, some just won't like it here.

I do not recommend that anyone come here if they need to rely on the profits from a business in order to live comfortably.

Good advice. Thanks.

GJV

Apr 3, 2019

Grand Cayman is stupid expensive, you need large sums of cash to start businesses, and if you no longer have a work permit, you do not get to stay, period. We do not want to head back to Canada, so now looking at all our options to stay south. All of the feedback from the members here is noted and helpful, but certainly anything we don't already know. The Caribbean, Mexico, Colombia are all difficult places to integrate but one must strategically integrate if they want to enjoy these wonderful countries.

Thank you for your feedback. Cheers!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Good day everyone,

G.

Why not do it it Colombia - there are nice climates there, cheaper to fly to North America and more culture and the cost of living is cheaper - plus you wife is Colombian. And the Spanish she speaks is way more refined that is spoken here - she will be considered a "Gringa" anyway......unless either of you is being sought by the Colombian Authorities

GJV

Apr 3, 2019
Why not do it it Colombia - there are nice climates there, cheaper to fly to North America and more culture and the cost of living is cheaper - plus you wife is Colombian. And the Spanish she speaks is way more refined that is spoken here - she will be considered a "Gringa" anyway......unless either of you is being sought by the Colombian Authorities

Thanks for the advice. We are considering Colombia as well and, no, we are not being sought by the authorities, lol.