Easter dinner suggestions/recipes?

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Hi. What could be a typical easter "main course" suggestion. Thanks in advance.
Jeb

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
17 Recipes for the Best Easter Ham Ever

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBVxBfB?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

Browned and coated in a shimmering glaze, your Easter ham is sure to be the centerpiece of your post-Lenten celebration. Easter Sunday is the time to celebrate the end of a long fast, but why do we eat ham? As it turns out, the choice of ham, which is especially popular in North America on Easter, is more practical than religious. Sheep have never been raised as livestock as commonly in North America as in Europe, so lamb simply didn’t make it to American tables. While Jesus undoubtedly would have been more likely to dine on lamb than pork — it’s not kosher, after all — Americans have traditionally eaten ham because it was what was available.

When more Europeans began settling in the Americas in the 16th and 17th centuries, pigs were more plentiful than lambs, and their meat was easy to cure and store through winter, making an Easter ham the most practical way to celebrate the end of a Lent.

Today, we can’t help but carry on the tradition, because ham simply tastes good and makes an impressive presentation on your Easter table. Even better, it’s easy enough for anyone to make. From sweet and salty maple-vanilla ham to a whole roasted ham with orange glaze, we have the best recipes your family and friends will love.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
In the Dominican Republic a typical menu is:

Habichuelas con Dulce
Roast pork, preferably cooked outside
macaroni or potato salad
empanadas

Can anyone add more to the list?

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I forgot to mention that you can get recipes at Dominican Cooking.com
A couple of ladies on DR1 run that website. Lots of great recipes there!

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I forgot to mention that you can get recipes at Dominican Cooking.com
A couple of ladies on DR1 run that website. Lots of great recipes there!

I have read and made some of the recipes from that site. Thank you for the reminder.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
In the Dominican Republic a typical menu is:

Habichuelas con Dulce
Roast pork, preferably cooked outside
macaroni or potato salad
empanadas

Can anyone add more to the list?

Russian salad and moro de guandules preferably in coconut milk. I have been ordered to cook habichuelas with you (lol con dulce) on Friday. Can't stand them myself but hey ho!

Matilda

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Hi. What could be a typical easter "main course" suggestion. Thanks in advance.
Jeb

Having read a few replies and re-reading OP I guess the OP is asking what "typical Dominican main course"? If you are not Dominican why not make the main course something you like unless all of your guests will be Dominican.

I don't buy into that thinking because you reside in a different country you should start to eat the local food. People from all over the world come to USA and continue to cook and eat what they enjoyed in their home country.

I agree the ingredients may be hard to find but I am not about to switch up and make my tastes buds start to enjoy mofongo or modongo whatever it is called.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I hear you BB. A nice spiral honey ham from price club, scalloped potatoes, curried fruit...

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
As long as I got some Habichuela con Dulce and some kind of Big Piece of Pork Meat like a butt or shoulder , with the Crispy skin ( Chicharron), I am good ..
but yeagh , Some potato salad is nice too.
Now I'm really hungry .

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree with bigbird. This is the first year we won’t be in DR for Easter in a decade or more. Every year I made roast leg of lamb (a couple of times I bought local, but mostly frozen Australian from Nacional), typically Italian Easter. Being in DR never changed that.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Easter holiday food ...back in the days ....

Leading up to easter ....hot cross buns and copious amounts of chocolate easter eggs.

On Easter day ...Spring lamb ( or rack of lamb) with mint sauce with Jersey royal potatoes, and...for dessert....simnel cake .

Nowadays? ...Moqueca De Camarao ( Brazillian ) on Easter Day.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Having read a few replies and re-reading OP I guess the OP is asking what "typical Dominican main course"? If you are not Dominican why not make the main course something you like unless all of your guests will be Dominican.

I don't buy into that thinking because you reside in a different country you should start to eat the local food. People from all over the world come to USA and continue to cook and eat what they enjoyed in their home country.

I agree the ingredients may be hard to find but I am not about to switch up and make my tastes buds start to enjoy mofongo or modongo whatever it is called.

IF I was cooking Easter dinner in the DR I would cook a typical American meal for my guests. They always enjoyed my meals.
Whenever I was there for Easter or Christmas I ate at my Dominican friends house. I enjoyed the change in traditions.
There was no rice and beans or chicken. LOL