Dining In - 10% LEY?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Just when I thought I was beginning to understand things I get thrown a curve ball. My understanding there is an automatic 10% added to your restaurant bill to be shared among all employees. Now this additional cost is for dining in ONLY? Si?

So what is this on my clearly shown carry-out receipt? 4.21 pesos for what? It certainly is not 10% of anything.

28ryzp3.jpg

What in this carry-out container cost me 4.21 pesos more?

9k7dl3.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Now, now Bird....

here you go - ruining that stellar reputation you have built...

You are not worried about the 4.? pesos...really !!?

The waitress rebuffed your advances, maybe ???
for 4 pesos --- I GUESS SO!!!!

hahaha

get you cholesterol checked ..... hehehe

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Now, now Bird....

here you go - ruining that stellar reputation you have built...

You are not worried about the 4.? pesos...really !!?

The waitress rebuffed your advances, maybe ???
for 4 pesos --- I GUESS SO!!!!

hahaha

get you cholesterol checked ..... hehehe

Just trying to get an education WW, that's all. irsav would be proud of me.

Now can you explain what the 4.21 pesos is for?

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
OK, My read on it is that the owner of the establishment instructs his employees to put that on ALL orders. Eat in? take out? no importa, pone lo.
I always add the 10 or more % depending on how bad, the service is (really bad nada) usually in cash because some chicks i know tell me that many POS owners keep that for themselves and give only a fraction to the employees.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WW to BB

No - no can explain it

I have one for you...

my b'fast outing the other day... always the same order.
when finished - I lay out the prescribed amount while the girl punches the till.

Oh no... ella dice.... and wants 100 pesos more

I look at the bill
1st item 100 pesos
2nd item 127 pesos
Gr Total... 327 pesos

I show her... typically Dominican - she points to the caja and claims it's right - I'm wrong
then she says it's the tax.....
Nooo.... I point to the tax line

I try persuasion - logic - common sense.... nuttin works
Clearly her math skills were slim

I call for the owner.. tell him the caja esta loca...
Initially, he too defends the machine

I scribble the math for him....
OK - let's see

Naturally, I was right.. and it was resolved

Again, typically Dominican... everybody wants to be blameless
profuse apologies... the chica most of all....

Another day in the life.....
I never have these these problems with my helicopter.....

BB
perhaps (like mine) the caja estaba loca.... just a glitch
you should have challenged it - called irsav to do that.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
OK, My read on it is that the owner of the establishment instructs his employees to put that on ALL orders. Eat in? take out? no importa, pone lo.
I always add the 10 or more % depending on how bad, the service is (really bad nada) usually in cash because some chicks i know tell me that many POS owners keep that for themselves and give only a fraction to the employees.

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Just when I thought I was beginning to understand things I get thrown a curve ball. My understanding there is an automatic 10% added to your restaurant bill to be shared among all employees. Now this additional cost is for dining in ONLY? Si?

So what is this on my clearly shown carry-out receipt? 4.21 pesos for what? It certainly is not 10% of anything.

28ryzp3.jpg

9k7dl3.jpg

That looks good! No idea what that 4.21 pesos could be for(?). It's 0.9% of the bill.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
By law they're not supposed to. You can report it on Proconsumidor's website.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
That looks good! No idea what that 4.21 pesos could be for(?). It's 0.9% of the bill.

Exactly what has me puzzled as it is such an odd ball amount. My guess the ITBIS and eat-in 10% LEY are automatically calculated and added to the bill. So I can't see where whoever rings up the bill can just manually add this crazy amount.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Exactly what has me puzzled as it is such an odd ball amount. My guess the ITBIS and eat-in 10% LEY are automatically calculated and added to the bill. So I can't see where whoever rings up the bill can just manually add this crazy amount.

That's what I would think, too - it has to be a programmed calculation. Maybe they're charging you for the carry-out containers at 4.21 pesos/ea(?).

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
That's what I would think, too - it has to be a programmed calculation. Maybe they're charging you for the carry-out containers at 4.21 pesos/ea(?).

Exactly what I was thinking. I know several places that charge for carry-out container but list it as such. I usually get take-out from that restaurant at least once a month so will pay attention next time I go.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have been charged 5 pesos for a Baso Foam -- Baso Styro with my beer

I never returned....

What's the song ??
The man who never returned...................

another irsav transaction....
hahaha

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Speaking as someone who owns a hotel, the law on when you charge this 10% and who you give it to is reasonably vague, and you tend to err on the side of caution and charge it on everything. In this case, someone has cooked the food, someone has served it (i.e. put it in a box) and someone has charged you. If there wasn't the 10% on take-out, then all of these people would have something to say. I know it's only 4 pesos, but in a month these service charges add up to 15,000 or more, so they do become a very very emotive point with staff. And it's just easier to charge than not to charge.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Speaking as someone who owns a hotel, the law on when you charge this 10% and who you give it to is reasonably vague, and you tend to err on the side of caution and charge it on everything. In this case, someone has cooked the food, someone has served it (i.e. put it in a box) and someone has charged you. If there wasn't the 10% on take-out, then all of these people would have something to say. I know it's only 4 pesos, but in a month these service charges add up to 15,000 or more, so they do become a very very emotive point with staff. And it's just easier to charge than not to charge.

I hear you Paul and was thinking a little the same way. I ordered the food and waited at an empty table. When my meal was ready to go someone brought it to the table where I was waiting. Only difference by me doing the take-out they had no dishes to wash nor a table to clean off .................. but that 4.21 pesos isn't 10% of anything. It is actually less than 1% of my food bill. So what gives?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Its clearly a "Styrofoam is bad for the Ozone Layer Tax" ...
Next time bring your own Aluminum container and tell em to throw you carry out in there , and video the look on their faces .
Then post the Video here .

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

28ryzp3.jpg

9k7dl3.jpg

I know you think it's not the 4 odd pesos but the principle of the the transaction that bothers you but trying to understand these restaurant charges in the DR is like trying to understand what a "Black Hole" in outer space is. We know it exists but you can't get a clear understanding of why?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I know you think it's not the 4 odd pesos but the principle of the the transaction that bothers you but trying to understand these restaurant charges in the DR is like trying to understand what a "Black Hole" in outer space is. We know it exists but you can't get a clear understanding of why?

To keep from quoting my entire OP is is this the part of the bill you can't quite understand?

24o23vq.jpg