First time coming to the DR and SD

Hoosier

Jan 15, 2018
I'm flying into SDQ on Tuesday at just after noon. This will be my first trip to the Dominican Republic. I lived abroad for several years in the Philippines and am not wanting to check out the DR.

As I don't speak Spanish, I thought maybe, to pass the time, I would find a language institute and study Spanish every day. I figure I can find some place to eat every night without much problem.

I would be most appreciative for any tips/advice you can give me. I will be staying until April 30.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Err I thought they speak Spanish in the Philippines and you do not want to check out the DR. Call me confused.

Matilda

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Err I thought they speak Spanish in the Philippines and you do not want to check out the DR. Call me confused.

Matilda

I have many Filipino friends and most speak Tagalog and English. All government functions are in English. The older educated Filipinos usually speak a form of Spanish as well. Schools are in English as well.

Hoosier

Jan 15, 2018

Matilda

Sorry I mistyped that. It should have read "...and am wanting to check out the DR."

I've never met any Filipinos who speak Spanish in person. There are a small subsect of Filipinos near Zamboanga City, in Mindanao, who speak a local dialect called 'Chevacano,' which is derived from, and very similar, to Spanish. Not a very large subgroup, however.

Last edited:

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Tagalog has some Spanish words and lots of people have Spanish surnames but it is definitly another language.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017

Matilda
You will find some older folk, who were around pre-WWII, who still know Spanish; however, it is not common for the post-WWII generations. You will find Spanish words in the vocabulary, though.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Spanish influence on Tagalog is more obvious in writing than in speaking to me. I've noticed that the months of the year sound nearly the same, but I miss many Spanish words when I hear Tagalog spoken.

OP-Enjoy your stay in the DR!

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've been here since April 9. I'm having a fantastic time here in SD.

With your history, I was pretty sure you'd be able to take care of yourself here. I hope you continue to have a good time.