Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Child Suicide Dominican Republic

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Am I the only one who is bothered by these reports?

Not one but two very young girls have committed suicide by hanging
    here in the DR over the past few months. I have lived in several different
    (developing) countries the past 10 years and at no point during this time
    do I recall reading about suicides by young girls like this. Not a word
    from any of the righteous NGOs or international press.

Am I the only one who is bothered by these reports?

http://www.cdn.com.do/2017/07/05/nin...rdida-celular/

http://www.citysantiago.com/2017/10/...a#.WefW2I_Wxdg

2. Likes pelaut liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

wow such young girls Horrible. Women don't tend to hang themselves do they usually???

May they RIP and their families..how horrible

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    do I recall reading about suicides by young girls like this. Not a word
    from any of the righteous NGOs or international press.

Am I the only one who is bothered by these reports?

http://www.cdn.com.do/2017/07/05/nin...rdida-celular/

http://www.citysantiago.com/2017/10/...a#.WefW2I_Wxdg
    I of course have no information, but would assume that the same mother's boyfriend was also violating the girl on an ongoing basis.

5. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    I of course have no information, but would assume that the same mother's boyfriend was also violating the girl on an ongoing basis.
    Fishy, in none of the two articles anything was mentioned about mommy's boyfriend. You do know what assume stands for don't you?

7. Likes AlterEgo, Celt202, jinty05 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

it's definitely tough to read about these young girls, but the femicide/suicides that are happening are even more disturbing. They don't seem to be doing anything to alleviate the problem either.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

For many years i have had a private foundation here that assists with the education costs of young people. Some of my students have been murdered in the streets or sexually attacked or robbed and have committed suicide . I have a couple of friends who help me with the administration of the foundation ,the biggest workload being handling personal emotional or maybe I should say mental problems. WE are flummoxed by so many incidents which just come out of the blue. The two suicides of our students were quite impossible for us to anticipate.. The entire subject is so involved and complex that it needs a professional approach only ..quite impossible for laypeople to even comment except by way of anecdote

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling333 View Post
    For many years i have had a private foundation here that assists with the education costs of young people. Some of my students have been murdered in the streets or sexually attacked or robbed and have committed suicide . I have a couple of friends who help me with the administration of the foundation ,the biggest workload being handling personal emotional or maybe I should say mental problems. WE are flummoxed by so many incidents which just come out of the blue. The two suicides of our students were quite impossible for us to anticipate.. The entire subject is so involved and complex that it needs a professional approach only ..quite impossible for laypeople to even comment except by way of anecdote
    Very commendable Kipling, where in the country are you located?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

My home is in Zona colonial ,the students are at present in the capital, San Pedro,La Romana and Santiago. I have one student in Argentina doing his post graduation in psychiatry. As they go through their university years , many have had problems of the mind rather than of the physical body . I am a great admirer of all those professionals and semi professionals who assist those with mental problems . Ok This is really my private contribution here ..I prefer not to say more ..

12. Likes Africaida, bigbird liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    do I recall reading about suicides by young girls like this.
    This is truly a sad event. I am at a loss, as children did not take their lives when I was that age.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank recktenwald View Post
    Fishy, in none of the two articles anything was mentioned about mommy's boyfriend. You do know what assume stands for don't you?
    THanks for that comment. I once had a friend who was on the governing board of an organization of survivors of childhood rape and their statistics for the state of Florida at least was that over 90 % of girl children's suicide is due to family member's rape. Said family member rape as far as their statistics went included mother's boyfriends. So although the articles did not mention such possibilities I believe that if the basics were to be dug out that is what would be discovered. A child doesn't kill herself because Mommy took her cell phone. Things have to be a lot deeper than that.
    Thanks
    Der Fish

15. Likes wuarhat, beachcomber, USA DOC liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast