Child Suicide Dominican Republic

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Am I the only one who is bothered by these reports?

Not one but two very young girls have committed suicide by hanging
here in the DR over the past few months. I have lived in several different
(developing) countries the past 10 years and at no point during this time
do I recall reading about suicides by young girls like this. Not a word
from any of the righteous NGOs or international press.

http://www.cdn.com.do/2017/07/05/nina-10-anos-se-suicida-madre-le-daria-una-pela-la-perdida-celular/

http://www.citysantiago.com/2017/10/18/ahorca-menor-12-anos-villa-riva#.WefW2I_Wxdg

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
do I recall reading about suicides by young girls like this. Not a word
from any of the righteous NGOs or international press.

http://www.cdn.com.do/2017/07/05/nina-10-anos-se-suicida-madre-le-daria-una-pela-la-perdida-celular/

http://www.citysantiago.com/2017/10/18/ahorca-menor-12-anos-villa-riva#.WefW2I_Wxdg

I of course have no information, but would assume that the same mother's boyfriend was also violating the girl on an ongoing basis.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
it's definitely tough to read about these young girls, but the femicide/suicides that are happening are even more disturbing. They don't seem to be doing anything to alleviate the problem either.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
For many years i have had a private foundation here that assists with the education costs of young people. Some of my students have been murdered in the streets or sexually attacked or robbed and have committed suicide . I have a couple of friends who help me with the administration of the foundation ,the biggest workload being handling personal emotional or maybe I should say mental problems. WE are flummoxed by so many incidents which just come out of the blue. The two suicides of our students were quite impossible for us to anticipate.. The entire subject is so involved and complex that it needs a professional approach only ..quite impossible for laypeople to even comment except by way of anecdote

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
For many years i have had a private foundation here that assists with the education costs of young people. Some of my students have been murdered in the streets or sexually attacked or robbed and have committed suicide . I have a couple of friends who help me with the administration of the foundation ,the biggest workload being handling personal emotional or maybe I should say mental problems. WE are flummoxed by so many incidents which just come out of the blue. The two suicides of our students were quite impossible for us to anticipate.. The entire subject is so involved and complex that it needs a professional approach only ..quite impossible for laypeople to even comment except by way of anecdote

Very commendable Kipling, where in the country are you located?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
My home is in Zona colonial ,the students are at present in the capital, San Pedro,La Romana and Santiago. I have one student in Argentina doing his post graduation in psychiatry. As they go through their university years , many have had problems of the mind rather than of the physical body . I am a great admirer of all those professionals and semi professionals who assist those with mental problems . Ok This is really my private contribution here ..I prefer not to say more ..

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
do I recall reading about suicides by young girls like this.

This is truly a sad event. I am at a loss, as children did not take their lives when I was that age.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Fishy, in none of the two articles anything was mentioned about mommy's boyfriend. You do know what assume stands for don't you? ;)

THanks for that comment. I once had a friend who was on the governing board of an organization of survivors of childhood rape and their statistics for the state of Florida at least was that over 90 % of girl children's suicide is due to family member's rape. Said family member rape as far as their statistics went included mother's boyfriends. So although the articles did not mention such possibilities I believe that if the basics were to be dug out that is what would be discovered. A child doesn't kill herself because Mommy took her cell phone. Things have to be a lot deeper than that.
Thanks
Der Fish

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
THis is indeed a Global issue.
The internet sets such high expectations for youth.
They get depressed and commit suicide.
As a comparison, in Canada we have more Aboriginal Youth suicides than any other developed or third world country.
They happen around 10 to 14 years when puberty sets in.... Hormonal imbalance as well as family situation as well as peer pressure all play a part in the demise of such young and impressionable children.

My psychological training was limited to Industrial Psychology which focuses upon the surroundings and a persons ability to adapt to new situations. So I can only speak from personal experiences in the Sub-Arctic of Canada.

But, it does not surprise me at all.
There is a lot of information on the I-net available through cell phones that can turn a child to taking his/her own life.
Then there are the copy cats who will do the same thing because a friend did it!

We actually had groups of teens creating a suicide pact ... and they followed through with it. Sad for sure.
Many were not sexually abused ; but chose the suicide path to escape from the current situation.
Children do not understand the consequences of suicide.
The topic is so big and complicated that no singular remedy is available.

The important thing is ''how does Society intervene in such cases"?
My heart goes out to those families who are now suffering from loosing a child to suicide..
I know of no words of comfort .
Russell

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I started a thread about this very same subject a long time ago,
tried to resurrect using DR1's search engine (not happening)
Having lived in several different developing countries, at no point
in the past do I recall reading about so many children committing
suicide. Here is another one.

A 10-year-old boy is hanged after his mother turns off the TV

SANTO DOMINGO.- A 10-year-old boy took his own life by hanging himself,
in an incident that occurred in the Los Casabes sector of Santo Domingo.

The infant was identified as José Luis López, who allegedly took his own life
after his mother turned off the television, ordering him to fix his bed.

According to unofficial data, prior to the incident, the infant allegedly stated
that his home was being scolded a lot.

Source: CitySantiago Link below for original article:
http://www.citysantiago.com/2019/04/02/ahorca-nino-10-anos-tras-madre-apagarle#.XKq9qZhKjIU

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I started a thread about this very same subject a long time ago,
tried to resurrect using DR1's search engine (not happening)
Having lived in several different developing countries, at no point
in the past do I recall reading about so many children committing
suicide. Here is another one.

A 10-year-old boy is hanged after his mother turns off the TV

SANTO DOMINGO.- A 10-year-old boy took his own life by hanging himself,
in an incident that occurred in the Los Casabes sector of Santo Domingo.

The infant was identified as José Luis López, who allegedly took his own life
after his mother turned off the television, ordering him to fix his bed.

According to unofficial data, prior to the incident, the infant allegedly stated
that his home was being scolded a lot.

Source: CitySantiago Link below for original article:
http://www.citysantiago.com/2019/04/02/ahorca-nino-10-anos-tras-madre-apagarle#.XKq9qZhKjIU

QUESTION: Where are all of the SJW's and NGO do gooders on this one???
W5/CT5??? Not a gkncifu word.