Q. about overstay fees

clwlf2000

Apr 8, 2019
1. I got 1year nm1 visa before i arrived DR. but i didn't get a residence card(i know i have to get residence card in a month when i got here. but it's so difficult and i was so busy to get) then should i pay for the overstayed fees if i stay 11months?

2. if i have to pay, can i pay for the overstayed fees by credit card in aeropuerto las americas? if i can't is there atm in airport?

please, thanks for all comments

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You will almost certainly be paying the overstay fee as you exit. I believe it is cash only for payments.

I don't use credit cards in the DR after having cards cloned 3 different times and a DR bank Banreserva screwing us over the last time it happened..

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
You will almost certainly be paying the overstay fee as you exit. I believe it is cash only for payments.

I don't use credit cards in the DR after having cards cloned 3 different times and a DR bank Banreserva screwing us over the last time it happened..

It only took 3 times?

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Cash only, if I were you I use an ATM in town to get cash for it beforehand, you never know if the ATM at the airport works, has money or accept your credit card... you could miss your flight while trying to pawn your watch... !

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It only took 3 times?

There was about 10 years between the first two fraudulent charges that were US credit cards and they were quickly cleared up. I stopped using my US card after the second charge.

The third time was a BanReservas credit card that someone used in Santiago when
we were in the US and they refused to clear the charges. Not a good bank. No more DR credit cards for her.

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
How much IS the overstay fee? A friend has visited on a tourist card for 3 1/2 months. So after the thirty days expired, he was illegal. I have read a one month late departure is US$55, but not sure is that a monthly fee or up to 90 days overstayed or what.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have to ask: What is the known record for overstaying a 30 day visa?

I knew a Canadian who was headed to the airport, I drove him. He had been here for 11 years and was worried what his overstay fee would be. I don't know, I got my 800 pesos.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Derf
If - When - you come back ....
surely they'll charge you.... a staying away fee

Wasn't me. I arrove in Jan thanks. When I left I had 7 tickets for traffic violations. Was worried about maybe they would confiscate my passport and lock me up, or something, but nuthin'.
Derfish

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
don't get caught again.... they have a new system...

You must have no DR license

Well they nabbed me for lack of helmet and gonna pay that next week. Got a helmet and someone stole it four days later. Bought a new one for 250 pesos and gonna tie it down when I am more than 3 steps from bike. But of course my driver license is not valid and never is after 30 days here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well they nabbed me for lack of helmet and gonna pay that next week. Got a helmet and someone stole it four days later. Bought a new one for 250 pesos and gonna tie it down when I am more than 3 steps from bike. But of course my driver license is not valid and never is after 30 days here.

Not having a DR license could explain how they were not yet able to know you had unpaid traffic violations.
Can they not yet link passports to the new system?

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Not having a DR license could explain how they were not yet able to know you had unpaid traffic violations.
Can they not yet link passports to the new system?
Most computer business rules will not allow you to put various character strings where an ID goes. The DR system would be set-up for the number of characters in a cedula, thus any passport number that does not exactly match the character string would not be accepted. Also, even if the system accepted foreign passports, and it should not as this increases the cost and complexity of the system, it would still need to be linked to a cedula. When I worked as a database administrator, my staff and I would always dread when the director (or some politician) wanted to link something else to a standard report. One monthly report took a full day to run, and my staff had to run one-half of the report at a time and dump the results into a MS Excel spreadsheet. We had to run it outside the system backup schedule. I do not see the DR getting involved in this sort of affair. No U.S. state would do this.

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
Why would you NOT have a DR driver's license?! It lets you drive how you like! Over in the oncoming traffic - pass on the right shoulder- bright headlights or none at all - stop where you like if you see someone you know - it's GREAT!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's why I have it....

FREEDOM !!!

hahaha

and Derf was earning $$$ driving illegally.....
add that to your list of freebies!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why would you NOT have a DR driver's license?! It lets you drive how you like! Over in the oncoming traffic - pass on the right shoulder- bright headlights or none at all - stop where you like if you see someone you know - it's GREAT!

Keep in mind that those who have to pay overstay fees cannot have a a DR Driver's license. That would be like having your cake and eating it too.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Most computer business rules will not allow you to put various character strings where an ID goes. The DR system would be set-up for the number of characters in a cedula, thus any passport number that does not exactly match the character string would not be accepted. Also, even if the system accepted foreign passports, and it should not as this increases the cost and complexity of the system, it would still need to be linked to a cedula. When I worked as a database administrator, my staff and I would always dread when the director (or some politician) wanted to link something else to a standard report. One monthly report took a full day to run, and my staff had to run one-half of the report at a time and dump the results into a MS Excel spreadsheet. We had to run it outside the system backup schedule. I do not see the DR getting involved in this sort of affair. No U.S. state would do this.

I understand the concept of unlinked data bases. I do suspect they could create such a link between crimes, traffic fines, etc and passport numbers if they wished to do so.