Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Haiti does NOT reset the clock

A ferry ride to Pto Rico will

It goes 3x a week
    Through the Mona Passage

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sepahunt22 View Post
    Why don't guys like this just cross over into Ouanaminthe, Haiti from Dajabon for a just few hours once every six months or so and then they'll have a collection of exits and re-entry stamps and thus won't have to worry about overstay fees at all?
    Take advantage of the fact that there's another country on the same island.
    Or does the DR have a law that says expats without residency HAVE to return to their own countries and thus entrance into Haiti does not count?
    I don't know myownself, but previously here on this board people have stated that it doesn't work. In Panama one can cross into Costa Rica and stay for 72 hours and come back across and be reset for 6 months, but twice is all it is good for after that one has to go back to country of residency and start over. It is called a visa run. I was given the card of a guy at the border who would supposedly backdate the stamp saying one had been in Costa Rica for 72 hours and one could return to Panama immediately.. I would really be hesitant to cross into Haiti and be told I could not legally cross back into the DR for 3 days as happened to me in crossing from Honduras into El Salvador way back when. Don't have any idea how things are now, but was quite a problem in 1985 or so.
    Derfish

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ljmesg View Post
    Through the Mona Passage
    haha

You can take your car on that ferry.....

or , as you may be thinking, you can take the aqua equivalent of a motoconcho....a yola

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

grease the wheel and you don't have to leave.......

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    I don't know myownself, but previously here on this board people have stated that it doesn't work. In Panama one can cross into Costa Rica and stay for 72 hours and come back across and be reset for 6 months, but twice is all it is good for after that one has to go back to country of residency and start over. It is called a visa run. I was given the card of a guy at the border who would supposedly backdate the stamp saying one had been in Costa Rica for 72 hours and one could return to Panama immediately.. I would really be hesitant to cross into Haiti and be told I could not legally cross back into the DR for 3 days as happened to me in crossing from Honduras into El Salvador way back when. Don't have any idea how things are now, but was quite a problem in 1985 or so.
    Derfish
    You can cross back and forth from Haiti as often as you want, but it won't reset your overstay time in the DR.

For now, just pay for the overstay fee and take your chances nothing serious happens while you are here illegally.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910