Sharing your location.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
My wife and I travel a lot and mostly alone for business and use Uber most of the time. We always check out the Uber to be sure that it is the real car. BUT... with the uptick in predators and another person(s) gone missing in the D.R., we reviewed our personal security precautions that are easy to find via Google.

We took less then 5 minutes last night and set our cell phones to "sharing you location" using Google maps. It is global and as long as there is a signal and the phone is on will tell my wife where I am or the last location and mine to her. We BOTH show up on Google maps now or I can find her on a separate app. map.

We laughed at how easy this was and wondered why we didn't have it last year when we got separated at Miami airport and my phone service wound not work. She now says that know way can I get away with anything; our credit cards notify each of us every time they are used and now I cann't even walk down the street. I replied with... she will have to be more careful on those "business trips"? (easy to turn off the locator or just turn off your phone... ummm? Where were you?) lol.

Easy to set up an use. Nice to have another layer of security.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
And some women..... That's not the point. Thinking about the couple that are missing. They could have shared with a trusted family member or friend. There last location would/could be known up to the time that the phone was turned off or signal lost. IF phone was still on and signal obtained, then a newer location and time would/could have been noted.

My wife/self can turn it off/on if we want to. We don't see any reason to turn it off. It doesn't tell you what is going on or with whom.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
A lot of men here would not want this one................
Its good to share your location often and occasionally use FakeGPS ;)

OP is great advice.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I use it through Messenger when I’m meeting somewhere in a place unfamiliar to one or both of us. For example, we adopted a rescue from Sosua. We set up a meet on Duarte Hwy in an Esso station. Lots of Esso stations. I got there early and shared my location, brought him right to us. Battery killer tho.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I just leave the damn thing at home when I
don't want my location tracked. People, especially
the younger generation have somehow been tricked
into thinking they have to be "connected" to the
internet or friends and family 24 hours a day,
7 days a week. Absolute nonsense.

Sep 4, 2012

Exactly.

No thank you - I will not provide such details to Google/Apple. Not out of my own accord anyways.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
At this point, you can't stop the disclosure of your location completely to your service provider or google/apple. You can only mitigate the precision of the data divulged and in some cases specify how long the data may be retained after it is collected.

If you carry a cell phone, you can be tracked or located quite easily by the authorities or anyone with legitimate/illegitimate access to the cellular network.

Even turned off, your phone will occasionally ping a cell tower. Removing the battery and the sim card is the only way to completely turn the phone off. Despite the common belief, a sim card is not necessary for a phone to make a connection to a cellular network. The capacitors for the cellular radio usually hold enough charge for a couple of pings without a battery before the phone is completely dead.

Do not wish to leave a location trail, do not carry a cell phone attributable to you. Better yet, don't carry a cell phone at all.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017

When I was a youngster--prior to the Internet, cellular telephones, and GPS--my parents and grandparents always seem to know where I was and where I had been. Now, with such tools, parents seem without clue. I can still remember when my grandmother asked me what I was doing around the corner on a certain street when I was a teen. I asked her how she knew. She responded that she had eyes everywhere. I thought: yes, noisy neighbors.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
When I was a youngster--prior to the Internet, cellular telephones, and GPS--my parents and grandparents always seem to know where I was and where I had been. Now, with such tools, parents seem without clue. I can still remember when my grandmother asked me what I was doing around the corner on a certain street when I was a teen. I asked her how she knew. She responded that she had eyes everywhere. I thought: yes, noisy neighbors.

Call me old fashioned but I still believe in privacy.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Call me old fashioned but I still believe in privacy.

I grew up in a little town of 600 population there was no such thing as privacy, you even got your ass spanked by the neighbors. and again when you got home because mom knew all about what happened!!!

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
I grew up in a little town of 600 population there was no such thing as privacy, you even got your ass spanked by the neighbors. and again when you got home because mom knew all about what happened!!!
Yes, I grew up in the city, and the same rule applied. The neighbor could administer discipline as the parent. And some did, then walked you home and explained. You knew that you had another coming if the neighbor deemed it necessary to walk you home.

Sep 4, 2012
At this point, you can't stop the disclosure of your location completely to your service provider or google/apple. You can only mitigate the precision of the data divulged and in some cases specify how long the data may be retained after it is collected.

If you carry a cell phone, you can be tracked or located quite easily by the authorities or anyone with legitimate/illegitimate access to the cellular network.

Even turned off, your phone will occasionally ping a cell tower. Removing the battery and the sim card is the only way to completely turn the phone off. Despite the common belief, a sim card is not necessary for a phone to make a connection to a cellular network. The capacitors for the cellular radio usually hold enough charge for a couple of pings without a battery before the phone is completely dead.

Do not wish to leave a location trail, do not carry a cell phone attributable to you. Better yet, don't carry a cell phone at all.

True, however; shunting and hedging against possibilities provide us with the opportunity to mitigate some options as opposed to be wide open and still have access to today's technology.

After all, the best way to stay incognito is to stick our heads in the sand and even then - our asse$$ would be exposed to the outsiders, no?