Smallpox in Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
A history of smallpox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82go6P7DES4

If this is indeed smallpox in Puerto Plata - this should be big news and I would think people should be very cautious

Spaniard Cortez brought this to the Aztecs in Mexico - and smallpox wiped out thousands spreading to South America and it is particularly lethal to those with Indian bloodlines.
3/4 of the Peruvian population was killed by smallpox.
It was even used as a military weapon against Indians in North America to wipe out large parts of the native American Indian population.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If this is indeed smallpox, we're in trouble and need to pay close attention. No doubt there is not enough booster vaccine available for everyone in this country. If this is smallpox, expect a massive 1st world response and a quarantine of the island within days.

There is no treatment for smallpox only prevention and the world does not mess about with this disease. Last reported natural transmission was in 1977. Morbidity around 30%, higher in children. Survivors scarred for the rest of their life.

I have difficulty accepting this new report at face value. Denial is my only coping mechanism at this point. I'm off to see if there is any mention of this outbreak at the CDC or the WHO as would certainly be the case if any country reported a single case of smallpox let alone several instances.

Gross picture below.

450px-Child_with_Smallpox_Bangladesh.jpg

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Chickenpox would still suck for those who get sick, but would be much better for this country and the world.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Varicela - chickenpox

Viruela - smallpox

I believe this is Varicela not Viruela the person who wrote this artical did not proof read or dosen’t know there is a difference

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It would be a very good thing if this report is in error because the wrong word was used or the translating software picked the wrong meaning.

Yet another possible example of really poor journalism and proofing of stories released by the media in this country. The news story does go on to specifically point out the history of smallpox rather than make subsequent references to chickenpox. It seems the author clearly intended to reference smallpox and if incorrect, that would be gross negligence if the reported facts are wrong.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Something which I though was pretty much eradicated.
Several cases being reported in Puerto Plata in the PP Digital.
Got your vaccination ?

http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=29653

I know little about this disease, but just pointing out here that as far as I know, the place (El Javillar) mentioned in the article is not exactly the best looking place in POP... We had to go there many years ago and I just wanted to get out quickly, and I don't get that feeling from many places here...

Second point, I agree with oldschool in terms that it's good to be careful with trustworthiness and terminology of this article... Quite a few people declared very seriourly that our youngest (at that time one year old) had a viruela in the past, which magically just disappeared a few days later, your youngest remaning as strong as ever... We have of course learned to be very careful who to listen to here...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It would be a very good thing if this report is in error because the wrong word was used or the translating software picked the wrong meaning.

Yet another possible example of really poor journalism and proofing of stories released by the media in this country. The news story does go on to specifically point out the history of smallpox rather than make subsequent references to chickenpox. It seems the author clearly intended to reference smallpox and if incorrect, that would be gross negligence if the reported facts are wrong.

True - the photo seems more chickenpox like than smallpox. If it is indeed smallpox, expect tourism to the North Coast to be impacted. Smallpox kills, especially certain races of people and people with low immune systems and living in unhygienic and non-ventilated rooms.

Let's hope the reports are that it is chickenpox (itself is no joke) - and let's see if there is a follow up story

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
If this is indeed smallpox, we're in trouble and need to pay close attention. No doubt there is not enough booster vaccine available for everyone in this country. If this is smallpox, expect a massive 1st world response and a quarantine of the island within days.

There is no treatment for smallpox only prevention and the world does not mess about with this disease. Last reported natural transmission was in 1977. Morbidity around 30%, higher in children. Survivors scarred for the rest of their life.

I have difficulty accepting this new report at face value. Denial is my only coping mechanism at this point. I'm off to see if there is any mention of this outbreak at the CDC or the WHO as would certainly be the case if any country reported a single case of smallpox let alone several instances.

A quick review of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website does NOT list anything for smallpox and the Dominican Republic. The Zika virus, Mycobacterial infections, renal transplant infections, and cholera appear to be the current concerns. Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 25, No. 2 (Feb. 2019) does not address smallpox in the DR. The Zika virus appears to be getting the most attention.

The U.S. State Department website only lists Chikungunya, Dengue, Yellow Fever, and Zika as health issues. If smallpox became an issue, I am confident that the U.S. CDC would be on it for obvious reasons. In fact, I believe that the U.S. would quarantine ANYONE, including its citizens, who were returning.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If smallpox (unlikely I now choose to believe), there will be no tourists (or anyone else for that matter) coming here at all and masses of people would desperately be trying to get off the island by any means available. Curtailing the spread of infectious smallpox off island would become a Hollywood movie "shoot to kill" scenario for anyone trying to leave until it was proven they are not carriers.

A smallpox outbreak anywhere in the world would be THE medical story for a generation.

This reporter and the editing staff should probably be fired.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
If smallpox (unlikely I now choose to believe), there will be no tourists (or anyone else for that matter) coming here at all and masses of people would desperately be trying to get off the island by any means available. Curtailing the spread of infectious smallpox off island would become a Hollywood movie "shoot to kill" scenario for anyone trying to leave until it was proven they are not carriers.

A smallpox outbreak anywhere in the world would be THE medical story for a generation.

This reporter and the editing staff should probably be fired.

You know as well as I do that if the U.S. thought the DR had a smallpox case, it would implement quarantine procedures. It would not wait for the confirmation. Any citizen returning would be subject to mandatory 24 to 48 hour quarantine until cleared by an infectious disease M.D. I do not mean any M.D., but an infectious disease M.D. For those who do not know it, immigration medical quarantine means being placed in a secure holding cell within the ICE area prior to baggage claim. You do not enter the public airport area. You get food in the holding cell.

Aug 21, 2007
I am in Jamao, not Puerto Plata, but I can tell you that many here are currently suffering from chicken pox, children, adults, families. Each day for the past two weeks, I had several children absent from my classes with chicken pox.

I tend to think that they got the name mixed up.

Lindsey

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
It’s chicken pox 100% for some reason a lot of locals call chicken pox ,small pox...it’s spelling is similar is my only reasoning...

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Chicken pox usually starts spring....hell back home , they have chicken pox party ,all kids go sleep over slumber party hoping your kids gets it....

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
So now that we are almost certain it is chicken pox (not fun for 10 days either and can scar) - is the varicella-zoster vaccine for that virus easily available here ?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i wonder who is dumber, the one who wrote the article or the one who gobbled it up and regurgitated for others to see?
on that note, the conspiracy has been cleared up. go breathe in some chemtrail dust, nothing more to see here, closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.