Is it safe to travel from Santiago 2 P. Plata at night.

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Hello, Everyone!

Well, the title pretty much sums it all up. I will be arriving around 2:30 a.m in Santiago and a driver will be taking me to Puerto Plata. Now, I figured if my plane lands around 2:45 a.m and then we add the time it takes to get off the plane and time to go through customs I might be looking at something close to 3:30 a.m? I am just concerned with safety since I'm traveling with kids and all. Does anyone here think it's an issue? Should I have my driver wait until it's light out or am I over-thinking this?

Thanks in advance.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Not sure what other choice you have. Myself, In all the years of coming to la rep dom I never ever try to be on any highway late hours at night. Sure you will have a driver but that doesn't eliminate the dangers that exist.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Not sure what other choice you have. Myself, In all the years of coming to la rep dom I never ever try to be on any highway late hours at night. Sure you will have a driver but that doesn't eliminate the dangers that exist.

I'm assuming you chose to fly into Santiago because it was a cheaper alternative than POP. That's the rub. You saved on the flight but then you have the inconvenience of having to get to your destination in the middle of the night. You might want to consider getting a room in Santiago for the night and then head to POP in the morning but if it was me and I had a driver lined up I would continue on to POP after my flight arrived. I hope your flight is on time and you arrive safely.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There are Cabanas near the airport. You can stay for very little there, as most are 4 hour rates, and that would be all you need for daylight.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
There are Cabanas near the airport. You can stay for very little there, as most are 4 hour rates, and that would be all you need for daylight.

"I am just concerned with safety since I'm traveling with kids and all."

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Just be sure to unplug the TV and hide any complimentary items provided.

LOL, but definitely a great idea. Don't want this to turn into a vacation the kids will never forget especially if they tune into the wrong TV channel.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
If you are going with a professional driver then the risks are less. Otherwise you could wait at the coffee shop at STI until 0500 or so and then take off for PP. Or do the Hotel thing.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Setting aside the inherent risks we casually dismiss when using a vehicle on public roads anywhere in the world...

Driving in the DR is riskier than in other countries for a bunch of reasons, the specifics of which you do not need to know in order to answer your question since you are not the driver.

Generally, driving when it is dark is a bigger risk. Driving in the early hours of the morning when drivers are tired, intoxicated or using the relatively low traffic volume to see just how fast their car will go, increases the risks further.

It is imperative that you can see clearly and for a long way ahead of you when driving in the DR. Any factors that inhibit your ability to see, maintain grip on the road surface or increase your proximity to other vehicles should be minimized.

If your driver is competent, and only you can determine that, a trip at that hour is hit or miss (pun intended). An astute poster above hit on the real issue, flying into an airport a long way from your final destination either to save money or due to flight availability. Attempting to be thrifty can sometimes set you up for some degree of failure and inconvenience.

Thankfully, you are flying into STI and not Punta Cana which others have done on their way to Puerto Plata and that would have just been stupid.

Keep a close eye on your driver. If he looks/drives as if he is tired, get off the road, grab a nap and wait for the morning crush to be over.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Probably going to B Live AI or RIU AI..

With a Driver , yeagh you should be ok...just make sure he is there to scoop you up FAST , no hanging out looking all Touristy at 3 am .. not a good idea..

driving yourself ,, NO, oh Hell no..

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Hello, Everyone!

Well, the title pretty much sums it all up. I will be arriving around 2:30 a.m in Santiago and a driver will be taking me to Puerto Plata. Now, I figured if my plane lands around 2:45 a.m and then we add the time it takes to get off the plane and time to go through customs I might be looking at something close to 3:30 a.m? I am just concerned with safety since I'm traveling with kids and all. Does anyone here think it's an issue? Should I have my driver wait until it's light out or am I over-thinking this?

Thanks in advance.
I avoid driving in the DR at night. I have taken some winding roads, e.g., between Puerta Plata and Santo Domingo, and it was not for the tired and faint of heart. Personally, I would be inclined to go to the nearest Cabana and relax until daylight.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Hello, Everyone!

Thanks in advance.

I am traveling with kids and traveled from Santiago to Las Terrenas (further) at about the same time this past February. My driver could drive that road in his sleep. Absolutely no issues. In fact, a colleague of his picked up an American couple heading to LT at the same time.

Then again, I am a little chatty :) and we talked all the way to LT and stopped for Dominican coffee somewhere on the side road. My kids were snoring (comfortable mini van, taxi turistico). We reached LT at dawn.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If the kids are hungry, you could have breakfast and leave at dawn. Just a couple of hours.
Actually, you are probably better off doing this run in those very early hours, since traffic is really bad a bit later on.
Just go slower than normal.

HB

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I think some of you are missing the part about him having a DRIVER who is picking him up, and he just seems to want to be re assured its a safe Drive once on the road, since he has kids .. or am i reading it wrong as well ?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I think some of you are missing the part about him having a DRIVER who is picking him up, and he just seems to want to be re assured its a safe Drive once on the road, since he has kids .. or am i reading it wrong as well ?

Thought it was us ;)

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002

Yes, you absolutely correct. I'm not concerned with the driver since this what he does for a living. Actually, someone on this site recommended him to me.
My concern is road safety as well as safety from not so well to do people if you know what I mean. It's just that you hear stories of things happening over there like getting robbed and so on. I don't know if people get stopped at gun point or something. I am just being very cautious because it's a family affair otherwise I wouldn't care too much. And thanks to everyone for helping out.