Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 97

Thread: Policing Tourists

  1. #11
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    Odd point WW...Should Dominican Police help drunk Dominican...Isn't self inflicted if anything happen ?

    Not convinced that most of the problem are self inflicted. In fact, in the grand scheme of things, I feel like very few bad things happen to tourists.

    Nothing ever happened to me while in DR, but if God forbids something happens, I DO hope the police would help me if in need even though I am not DR citizen, nor resident.

    Tourism is one of DR biggest export, so they have to find a way to protect their visitors, image is everything.

    Many residents started as tourists you know.
    I think what the thought here is are the Dominican authorities supposed to Go ALL Out because it was a tourist involved? One thing happens to a tourist and same thing happens to a local should more effort be spent because it was a tourist?

  2. #12
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20,700
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We can all say that - I think

    Helpful hands extended - my experience

  3. #13
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    I understand the points...

    But tourists might consume an inordinate amount of time and money.

    Should they be privileged ??

    First things first... citizens/residents... then tourists

    They are well housed and cared for in their chosen locations...

    Yes, the police are helpful to all.... I have found.
    But careless activities by visitors should be treated as such... perhaps
    Do they really ? DR is a resort destination, most of the tourists do stay in their resort.

  4. #14
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20,700
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    I think what the thought here is are the Dominican authorities supposed to Go ALL Out because it was a tourist involved? One thing happens to a tourist and same thing happens to a local should more effort be spent because it was a tourist?
    In fact the oddity is...the irony is that

    The local guy expects less than the visitor expects....

    This country has enough problems of its own..... and not enough staff & $$$ to help

  5. #15
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    The tourist police can do nothing about tourist idiocy.

    Nor should they be responsible whan an idiot does something, like these two apparantly did, in some random part of the country.

    These two are not the first to go "missing."

    I'm not sure we can cast legitimate shade on the tourist seciruty infrastructure based on what these two did.

    It is sad, indeed, for their lives to end as they did, in a foreign country.

    But no way any tourist security force can be Momma Duck to 7,000,000 tourists.

    And certainly you can't police idiots. But Darwin can.
    I hear you, if an 80 year old Dominican grandma went missing do you think the PN would drop everything they are doing to locate here. I think NOT, so does a tourist rate higher than locals.

  6. #16
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20,700
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    Do they really ? DR is a resort destination, most of the tourists do stay in their resort.
    I said MIGHT ... "frica

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    I understand the points...

    But tourists might consume an inordinate amount of time and money.

    Should they be privileged ??

    First things first... citizens/residents... then tourists

    They are well housed and cared for in their chosen locations...

    Yes, the police are helpful to all.... I have found.
    But careless activities by visitors should be treated as such... perhaps

    but the recent cases don't support your claim.....

    Less happens in the self policed resort...

    Outside can be dangerous to the uninitiated
    and costly to the country

  7. #17
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    I think what the thought here is are the Dominican authorities supposed to Go ALL Out because it was a tourist involved? One thing happens to a tourist and same thing happens to a local should more effort be spent because it was a tourist?
    You know what ? Money talks. I don't make the rules

    If the daughter of a influential dominicano from Santiago or SD was nowhere to be found, the police would go ALL out.

    Not too long ago, that story happened in LT, it made the papers and they did investigate. Why ? https://atento.com.do/archivos/4958

  8. #18
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20,700
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    You know what ? Money talks. I don't make the rules

    If the daughter of a influential dominicano from Santiago or SD was nowhere to be found, the police would go ALL out.

    Not too long ago, that story happened in LT, it made the papers and they did investigate. Why ? https://atento.com.do/archivos/4958
    You're not naive enough to think that the family didn't 'incent' the police with some cash are you.?

    That's where the $$ talks - in the hands of the investigators

    an old saying...
    Money doesn't talk --- IT SCREAMS!!!

  9. #19
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    I said MIGHT ... "frica

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    I understand the points...

    But tourists might consume an inordinate amount of time and money.

    Should they be privileged ??

    First things first... citizens/residents... then tourists

    They are well housed and cared for in their chosen locations...

    Yes, the police are helpful to all.... I have found.
    But careless activities by visitors should be treated as such... perhaps

    but the recent cases don't support your claim.....

    Less happens in the self policed resort...

    Outside can be dangerous to the uninitiated
    and costly to the country
    I understand your point, but how do you define "careless" ? How do you know they were careless before you even solve the case.

    DR receive millions of tourists yearly, we can count on one hand the number of cases, unless I have missed something, lol

  10. #20
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    You know what ? Money talks. I don't make the rules

    If the daughter of a influential dominicano from Santiago or SD was nowhere to be found, the police would go ALL out.

    Not too long ago, that story happened in LT, it made the papers and they did investigate. Why ? https://atento.com.do/archivos/4958
    yes dear, money does the talking most always.

    The PN as far as I see it do a good job of solving tourist problems but you got the ones screaming they should have done more and done it faster. They solved the Dutchman case and I say they solved this most recent missing persons in a timely manner.

  11. Dislikes jeb321 disliked this post
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •