Hello from San Pedro!

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Been living here since October. Finally decided to register after lurking for a few months. I live close to Jumbo in what I consider a very nice part of town.

So far, I love it here. I retired in September of 2018 and don't regret anything (yet!).

Roberto

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Welcome Roberto. I used to go to San Pedro a few times a week for 10 years when I lived in Juan Dolio. Have you checked out the indoor market yet? Go Estrellas!

Matilda

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Been living here since October. Finally decided to register after lurking for a few months. I live close to Jumbo in what I consider a very nice part of town.

So far, I love it here. I retired in September of 2018 and don't regret anything (yet!).

Roberto
Congratulations Roberto.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The indoor market is full of stalls selling fresh produce, meat, fish, charcoal, sacks of grains of different types, voodoo shops and all kinds of other stuff. It is not for the faint hearted, narrow alleyways, but very interesting and much cheaper than you can buy outside. Hard to describe exactly where it is, it is in the northwestern part of the city, but ask anyone where the mercado is and they will tell you. It is showed on Google maps.

Matilda

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017

Roberto

Welcome to the board. I visit San Pedro with some frequency, and shop at the Jumbo there. The city has its charms. I like it.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019

Roberto

Welcome aboard!

Why did you decide for San Pedro? And not for Boca Chica or HD ? To me it seems to be a strange choice. But probably you know something about SP that I do not know. Some advantages?
Would be interesting if you share.

Sep 4, 2012
The indoor market is full of stalls selling fresh produce, meat, fish, charcoal, sacks of grains of different types, voodoo shops and all kinds of other stuff. It is not for the faint hearted, narrow alleyways, but very interesting and much cheaper than you can buy outside. Hard to describe exactly where it is, it is in the northwestern part of the city, but ask anyone where the mercado is and they will tell you. It is showed on Google maps.

Matilda

The nastiest place there ever was!

It might've been planned and designed for indoor use many years ago but nowadays it isn't anything indoor related. The market and vendors around it had over taken the entire block and then some.

From fruits to meat, rice beans, live animals to clothing - everything can be had here, if having the patience to navigate this maze.

Be prepared to be dazzled!

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Welcome to the board sir. SanPedro will get lots of criticism but it’s not so bad. Maybe you’ve discovered them, but Blondy’s (if still open- they close sporadically) or Empanadas Reyes are delicious. I also love Brazas restaurant at the Malecón.

Semana Santa is especially interesting in San Pedro-take care!

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Welcome to the board sir. SanPedro will get lots of criticism but it’s not so bad. Maybe you’ve discovered them, but Blondy’s (if still open- they close sporadically) or Empanadas Reyes are delicious. I also love Brazas restaurant at the Malecón.

Semana Santa is especially interesting in San Pedro-take care!

Is Life about "eating food" only?

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Is Life about "eating food" only?

I didn’t mean to dislike. Matilda already suggested the Mercado, and I would assume the OP knows all about the Malecón. Apparently Playa del Muertos is closed, but I wouldn’t suggest that anyway. Are you familiar with SPM?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I want to work with granmoun (ancianos) of the different bateys here. Where I live in San Pedro is walking distance to Batey Esperanza and gua-gua distance to the Bateys of Monti Christi, Cubana, and Olivares. It also has a cheaper cost of living. I believe this is where God wants me for the near future at least.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
My fave restaurant when I was there was Robbie Mar fish place next to the river.

Matilda

Sep 4, 2012
I didn’t mean to dislike. Matilda already suggested the Mercado, and I would assume the OP knows all about the Malecón. Apparently Playa del Muertos is closed, but I wouldn’t suggest that anyway. Are you familiar with SPM?

San Pedro was once a mecca - government and business stripped all of the glamour and growth from the province years ago. Only thing left in SPM is the UCE and the Malecon.

Sad indeed - a place with so much to offer and totally forgotten.