Dog Friendly Lodgings

James Rogers

Apr 12, 2019
We are coming to the Dominican Republic in June for 3 months minimum and bringing our beloved 8 year old beagle who is 14 inches at the shoulder, small, obedient and well trained, sociable with children and adults alike.

Stella seems the most problematic part of our trip in that I have yet to find lodging in DR that says/advertises it is pet friendly. Have been following this excellent Blog for many months and have learnt an awful lot (incredible, thanks so much to all of you) but this remains a hole, an unknown in my planning.

Yes she will see a vet for health check and rabies booster before departure and expect to pay and be checked on arrival (thank you for info)

Is DR very anti dog or is it similar to Canada in that hard to find ‘pet friendly” or am I looking in wrong way? In practicality really sucks as would be much better financially and stress wise to have lodging pre-arranged before arrival DR but everything I see says no pets. Yes I have been looking Air BNB also but maybe not savvy enough. Maybe a case where you figure it out when you get there but that obviously complicates things.

Would really appreciate any advice on this

Initially locating to South, Boca Chica / Juan Dolio area.

Michi313

Feb 22, 2019
Airbnb and Homeaway have a filter the you can set for places that accept pets - it limits your options but it is not impossible. I did the same when I came for a long term stay - I actually liked one villa so much I reached out to the owner directly via airbnb to ask about our dog (a boxer, about 50 pounds) - he just made me get a higher insurance versus his home in case of damages. After that I have just gotten pet friendly places. My husband stayed at a hotel in Santiago one night - I did have a hard time finding a pet friendly one but finally did find one (Camp David) so away from the city. Good luck

Last edited:

James Rogers

Apr 12, 2019
Thanks

Airbnb and Homeaway have a filter the you can set for places that accept pets - it limits your options but it is not impossible. I did the same when I came for a long term stay - I actually liked one villa so much I reached out to the owner directly via airbnb to ask about our dog (a boxer, about 50 pounds) - he just made me get a higher insurance versus his home in case of damages. After that I have just gotten pet friendly places. My husband stayed at a hotel in Santiago one night - I did have a hard time finding a pet friendly one but finally did find one (Camp David) so away from the city. Good luck

So use filter airbnb,,, yes see some. So I guess its true that no way flying Dominican and initially staying at any resort because no dogs, not pet friendly. Instead arrange airbnb or private lodgings instead. Just buy return airfare and book privately. Our dog is making things difficult but so be it.

Next is to figure out what airports are served by Canadian airlines closest to Juan Dolio and/ or Boca Chica. From what I can see Santa Domingo and San Pedro are not served by Canadian Airlines. So fly to Punta Cana and take taxi...to separately booked lodgings.

Any thoughts on this conclusion??

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Air Transat flies into Santo Domingo only during winter. Options therefore will be PUJ. If your budget permits it, the Westin in Punta Cana accepts dogs I'm told. While dogs have become more pets instead of "just dogs" in the past 20 years, they're still not readily received with open arms in hotels and businesses.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
We are coming to the Dominican Republic in June for 3 months minimum and bringing our beloved 8 year old beagle who is 14 inches at the shoulder, small, obedient and well trained, sociable with children and adults alike.

Stella seems the most problematic part of our trip in that I have yet to find lodging in DR that says/advertises it is pet friendly. Have been following this excellent Blog for many months and have learnt an awful lot (incredible, thanks so much to all of you) but this remains a hole, an unknown in my planning.

Yes she will see a vet for health check and rabies booster before departure and expect to pay and be checked on arrival (thank you for info)

Is DR very anti dog or is it similar to Canada in that hard to find ‘pet friendly” or am I looking in wrong way? In practicality really sucks as would be much better financially and stress wise to have lodging pre-arranged before arrival DR but everything I see says no pets. Yes I have been looking Air BNB also but maybe not savvy enough. Maybe a case where you figure it out when you get there but that obviously complicates things.

I came down with my friend and her dog in February. She had no problems finding accomodations with her small dog. Las Terrenas has a big European expat community and they are very dog friendly.

It is the North-East though.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

As long as your dog is small enough to fit in a SOFT sided pet carrier, which can be partially placed under the seat in front of you than you should be fine. I have a mini Schnauzer which I used to fly to and from the US to the DR. She is ten pounds and small for her breed. If you can book a seat with extra leg room it will be worth the money for both you and your pet. I'm assuming you want the dog to ride in the cabin?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Keep in mind that the seasonal airline embargo for pets as cargo comes into effect soon. Not sure about the US airlines but the Cdn airlines seem to embrace no pets as cargo from May 15 - Nov. 1.

Jan 17, 2009
Our small hotel also accepts dogs in all our ground level rooms and apartments.

Snowbirds come to the north coast with pets quite often. I honestly don't believe you'll have an issue finding a place. Maybe upscale rentals are more restrictive.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

Your risking not returning with your pet due to temperatures at take off ,there is seasonal embargo for pets and temperatures,
Check with your airline..glad to see you optimistic this will be over soon(covid)..