Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Which AC unit should I buy? Where should I buy them? Near Cabarete.

2.5 years ago we bought these nice Samsung Virus Doctor split units. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTYl_YSp1Ak

We assumed they would last 2-3 years and they did. The inside part of the unit works, but the outside part is corroded and won't hold freon. We are directly on the beach so obviously nothing is going to last forever. No there is not a cover over the unit outside and we have done zero maintenance on them. The main problem is we can't find parts to repair them. Which we sort of expected when we bought them. To us they were worth it because they cut our electricity bill down by 3/4 and they helped with the mold. They definitely paid for themselves in reduced electricity bills alone.

So, now it is time to buy new ones.

Just looking for feedback on what to buy next and where to buy. We bought these last ones in La Sirena in POP.

Thanks!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The most common units used here are from TGM. I put an 18,000 BTU Dream Series model in my music studio. Purchased from Refripartes in Puerto Plata.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll notice a significant savings on electricity if you install Inverter type AC units with a rating of at least 22 SEER and above. These are more expensive obviously but I was able to recover the extra cost in energy savings within 14 months based on my rather high usage rate.

I don't live directly on a beach and my maintenance routine consists of spraying down the fins with fresh water every couple of weeks to get rid of the bugs and any accumulated salt/dirt. I think based on the general atmospheric conditions in proximity to the coast it is not unreasonable to expect at least 3 years service for a decent AC. Quality of components being a rather important consideration.

My advice would be to buy a recognized brand (even a Chinese relabeled Dominican brand) inverter AC with the highest SEER rating you can find and afford. You may drop the SEER rating by a couple of points to account for living near the ocean and perhaps a reduced service life of the equipment. Go no lower than 22 SEER and you should be able to make the economics work out in your favor.

The more you use the AC the faster you'll recoup the extra cost to purchase. Obviously they still use electricity, just not as much to produce and maintain the same cooling results.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

For the outside compressor unit, it pretty much doesn't matter what brand you buy. The salt air will corrode the condenser coil on all of them pretty fast. This last one I had I religiously hosed down the compressor coil once a week to remove the salt buildup and it made absolutely no difference at all in extending the life of the unit.

I'm on #4 after 12 years living here on the beach. The only exception is there are some brands that have a special copper alloy condenser coil that will last twice as long, but they cost almost twice as much. Refripartes in Pto. Plata seems to have the best prices.

5. Likes SocialZealot liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    For the outside compressor unit, it pretty much doesn't matter what brand you buy. The salt air will corrode the condenser coil on all of them pretty fast. This last one I had I religiously hosed down the compressor coil once a week to remove the salt buildup and it made absolutely no difference at all in extending the life of the unit.

I'm on #4 after 12 years living here on the beach. The only exception is there are some brands that have a special copper alloy condenser coil that will last twice as long, but they cost almost twice as much. Refripartes in Pto. Plata seems to have the best prices.
    I agree on the TGM brand inverter A/C's I have two (seer 18) and my electric bill has not hit 1000 pesos yet.

Living next to the ocean I would be spraying my compressors down with WD-40 regularly

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    I agree on the TGM brand inverter A/C's I have two (seer 18) and my electric bill has not hit 1000 pesos yet.

Living next to the ocean I would be spraying my compressors down with WD-40 regularly
    I considered doing that, but I thought the oil film would tend to collect dust and reduce the cooling efficiency of the condenser coil fins(?).

My electric bill during the summer months tends to run about 7500 pesos a month. I have a small one-bedroom apartment, 12,000 BTU unit, and am paying 12 pesos/kwh. Just for my refrigerator, hot water heater, lights, etc. it costs me 1500 pesos/mo.

8. Likes SocialZealot liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

In Sosua where caribe tours bus stops across the street place, they installed 2 inverter ductless splits approx. $1150 4 yrs ago still going no rust ... can’t recall name China Aux? Maybe ...how can you go wrong for price since everything seems to die in 3-4 yrs anyway

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to add inverter one is quieter... variable speed fan outside goes into low most of time...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgreat View Post
    In Sosua where caribe tours bus stops across the street place, they installed 2 inverter ductless splits approx. $1150 4 yrs ago still going no rust ... can’t recall name China Aux? Maybe ...how can you go wrong for price since everything seems to die in 3-4 yrs anyway
    You only have to be 1/4 mile or so off from the beach and rust caused by salt air is reduced dramatically.

12. Likes SocialZealot, lifeisgreat liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The most common units used here are from TGM. I put an 18,000 BTU Dream Series model in my music studio. Purchased from Refripartes in Puerto Plata.
    I realize that is the most common, but it is def not the most efficient electricity wise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast