Experiences with Vladimir's Paint Shop in Sosua? Other recommendations?

SocialZealot

Jan 11, 2012
www.socialzealot.com
My 2014 truck has gotten some rust holes that are forming around the windshield. About the size of a quarter! I was out of the country for a year and didn't cover it up because I didn't know I would be gone so long. Anyways, I got a quote from Vladimir's Paint Shop in Sosua. I am willing to pay what he is asking. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with his services. I would also be interested in hearing other suggestions.

Thanks!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've never used him, but friends tell me he is very good. If you go a little further into Sosua on the same side of the road there is an AutoMax carwash. There's an auto repair shop in the back. Ask for Jan in the carwash office up front. I had some work done there. Very good, also.

SocialZealot

Jan 11, 2012
www.socialzealot.com
I've never used him, but friends tell me he is very good. If you go a little further into Sosua on the same side of the road there is an AutoMax carwash. There's an auto repair shop in the back. Ask for Jan in the carwash office up front. I had some work done there. Very good, also.
Thanks for your input!

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
The manager at AutoMax, Jan, I think he's Scandinavian, speaks perfect English, so you'll have no problem communicating with him.

German. Good mechanic. We did two things with him. Timing belt (that was good). Brand new alarm/security system (stopped working after one year).
To fix your serious problem correctly, the windshield must be removed and re-attached. If it was not done, it means that they just applied some Bondo, sanded and painted over. No good!
In general Russian mechanics are good and creative (Dominicans too). Unlike American ones. Who do not REPAIR. But only REPLACE.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
German. Good mechanic. We did two things with him. Timing belt (that was good). Brand new alarm/security system (stopped working after one year).
To fix your serious problem correctly, the windshield must be removed and re-attached. If it was not done, it means that they just applied some Bondo, sanded and painted over. No good!
In general Russian mechanics are good and creative (Dominicans too). Unlike American ones. Who do not REPAIR. But only REPLACE.

Where have you found an American mechanic here? Since I'm American I know plenty of them that can repair vehicles very good.
Trouble here is Dominicans loose parts, reuse old worn parts and silicone instead of new gaskets.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Where have you found an American mechanic here? Since I'm American I know plenty of them that can repair vehicles very good.
Trouble here is Dominicans loose parts, reuse old worn parts and silicone instead of new gaskets.

No. Here there is no American mechanics thanx God.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

Some times replace is the solution. To generalize that American mechanics only replace is absurd.
I do a repair one time. If that requires replace that is fine. Do not let me come back for the same damn thing again.
Rusting can be complicated in cars. Live near the beach, its inevitable. Some vehicles are rust prone.
I have friends who love 55 Chevys and spend their Saturday afternoons sanding and grinding rust on their "babies".
My corvette is fiberglass. I spend my Saturday afternoons cruising.
My "love" for old cars with rust has long since faded.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

I haven't been to a Dominican mechanic yet where, after the job was done, there weren't at least a few screws missing.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I haven't been to a Dominican mechanic yet where, after the job was done, there weren't at least a few screws missing.

Agreed - and they are usually on the shelf below the wipers.
This is why I won't buy another car that's been driven here. Taken me months to chase down the little problems caused here by mechanics. Even had a German mechanic left a connection loose and another one in Sosua who broke the valve cover by dropping it or over tightening.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The labor rates are a whole lot higher in the US, Canada, and Europe. No surprise that it costs less to fix your car here. And that's exactly why in the US a lot of fixes are "repair by replace". Just imagine what you'd have to pay if they tried to fix it instead. SMH.