Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real Estate Legal Inheritance Question

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
    At the time the Grandfather became deceased, if their was a spouse, they certainly did have a right to the inheritance and as much as 50%. The question is whether there was a spouse at the time the individual was deceased.
    Do you have a link to back up your statement? According to https://inheritestate.com/dominican-...s-inheritance/, spouse does not inherit in his case.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I owned a piece of land jointly with other expats, and we learned a lot about inheritance law. I can't tell you the details about in-family inheritance disputes in the absence of a will, but I can tell you that if you are a Dominican resident and you inherit land from someone then you have to pay 3% on the assessed value of the land to transfer the title. If you are NOT a legal resident, then you have to pay 30% of the assessed value to get the title into your name. This basically means that if you aren't residing here, it is a major hassle to inherit land here. The prospects of disputing an old transaction will depend greatly on the residency status of the claimants and their tax liabilities. The land court will absolutely make sure the appropriate taxes have been paid before they dispense a title.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12