Last Day for Taxes, have you finished yours?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If you're living out of the country, you get an automatic 2 month extension.

What proof do you have to provide? I just can't see the IRS taking someone's word on it. Mine are done so it doesn't matter, just curious.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Your tax liability is still due on April 15th, or pay interest and penalty.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What proof do you have to provide? I just can't see the IRS taking someone's word on it. Mine are done so it doesn't matter, just curious.

I registered with the US Embassy long ago that I live here. I have always done my taxes prior to April 15.

Sep 4, 2012

When to File

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien residing overseas, or are in the military on duty outside the U.S., on the regular due date of your return, you are allowed an automatic 2-month extension to file your return without requesting an extension. For a calendar year return, the automatic 2-month extension is to June 15. Note that you must pay any tax due by April 15 or interest will be charged starting from April 15.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayers-living-abroad

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No need to register as the IRS wouldn't care anyways.

The question was asked as to how I would prove I lived out of the US. I simply replied with the best logical response I had available that I registered as an expat.

The Social Security Administration also knows I am an expat, but perhaps the IRS does not care about that either.

If the IRS cares or not, that would be up to them. Perhaps they have their own way to know I no longer reside in the US.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The question was asked as to how I would prove I lived out of the US. I simply replied with the best logical response I had available that I registered as an expat.

The Social Security Administration also knows I am an expat, but perhaps the IRS does not care about that either.

If the IRS cares or not, that would be up to them. Perhaps they have their own way to know I no longer reside in the US.

I heard Uncle Sam reads DR1, so you are all set.

Sep 4, 2012
The prior reply wasn't mean to dismiss what you've posted (which is the right thing to do and makes so much sense, I have myself), though for the subject ah hand, the IRS do not care as far as registration with Embassy or not.

IRS only cares for the correct reporting and to collect from you if need to be - simple as that. You could be living in Mars, and all they care is how much you might've owed them so they could then collect.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

I just fill out a very simple, short form and get the 6 month extension. No need to worry about proof.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Preparing last minute customers as I write.

Monies are great but, at times, not worth the headaches. Grrrrr

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If you file the 6 month extension(which takes about one minute), you only have to pay a 1/2% penalty per month on the amount you owe. On every $1000 owed, that's only $5/mo.

I've always done my own taxes and had a ballpark idea of what I owed, so, in that case, I would include a check for the approximate amount owed. Never paid anything of consequence in late penalties.

Not sure why anybody would stress themselves out over an April 15th deadline(?).

Sep 4, 2012
My accountant told me several years ago that ex-pats have until 6/15 to file.

That is actually incorrect - an extension for up to 6 months can be granted (when requested) to tax payers living overseas.

Taxes owed and liabilities start to accrue from April 15th.