Did anyone do?
What shipping company to engage?
How much to expect to pay?
Thank you, my dear friends!

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Depends the kind of furniture. You don't get everything you want here. Yes Ikea stuff or the local ......

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You're not going to find Early American or Colonial style furniture here, but there are several styles of Dominican furniture made from beautiful local hardwoods like caoba(mahogany).

I would leave the old furniture there and buy new here.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Yes the wood is not the problem, roble, caoba, chechen etc. It's all available. What I don't like is one can always see it's Dominican made. But of course tastes differ.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We have a true 'cabinet maker' in Cabrera if you're interested...

Personally, I always ask for rustico...
when they go fancy - I agree with you about appearance

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
How to do it?
Did anyone do?
What shipping company to engage?
How much to expect to pay?
Thank you, my dear friends!

Why would you really want to? Is it appropriate for an island life style? Will the furniture hold up in an environment where it is hot and humid. You can buy anything you need in the DR. I would think long and hard about paying to ship furniture. If you are set on doing this wait until you have got residency and you can ship this in without import and duty taxes.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
First of all I want a good quality and solidly built leather sofa-bed with a matching love seat.
And since it is for a high end condo that is intended for rent - we are not inclined to spend thousands of US$`s to buy new ones.
Or maybe some suggestions on a high end used furniture store in Santo Domingo? Or a big consignment store?
We furnish all our rentable units like this. With a top quality furniture in like new condition from estate sales.Looks terrific. And saves tons of money comparing to buying new.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The termites here will eat most woods except mahogany. Doors, cabinets, they eat it all. Guess how I know.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Sorry but not all woods exept mahagony. Roble, Pino tratado y all hardwood have no problem. The cheap pino is a feast for them.