Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Automotive air conditioning service

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhanson1 View Post
    I was not referring to r22. I understand that r134a refrigerant has been used on all cars since the mid 90's. I also understand that a small can of r134a can be purchased for less than $10. But unless you already have a a set of manifold gauges like the kid at the AC repair place, then you need to buy a can of refrigerant gas that has a pressure gauge like this one https://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics...gateway&sr=8-9. The pressure gauge is necessary because adding too much refrigerant is just as bad as too little refrigerant - sometimes worse.
    Just buy the gauges. It is not expensive, then use the cheaper cans of refrigerant. I is not a complicated process. But I'd just get the system fixed and be done with the constant hassle.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Just buy the gauges. It is not expensive, then use the cheaper cans of refrigerant. I is not a complicated process. But I'd just get the system fixed and be done with the constant hassle.
    The prices for an AC manifold gauge set on Amazon runs from $28-50. I assume they would cost more here in the DR. But I agree with your sentiment that constantly refilling the system makes no sense, and I will certainly pursue repair if it appears that I have a significant leak. That's why I have no interest in buying gauges and refrigerant. But needing just 1 small topping off after more than 9 years is not yet serious enough to convince me that I need to have someone tearing apart my system to find a leak and hope that they repair it properly without damaging something else. If my AC is blowing warm air again next week or next month, then obviously I will need a real fix.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456