Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Automotive air conditioning service

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Automotive air conditioning service

The air conditioning in my 2010 Honda CR-V seems to be getting very weak. Any suggestions on where I should take it for service in the Sosua-Cabarate-Puerto Plata area? I don't care about cost - I simply want it fixed correctly without damaging something.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a guy called Mello on the east side of Cabarete about 3km. It's just a little past Cabarete East Condos on the other side of the road(right side as you're heading east.) It's across from the proposed old Amber Dunes project. There's no signs. Go slow and look carefully or you'll miss it. It;s back off the road. You'll see a trailer and some cars parked in there. That's it.

This guy is awesome. I've used him for years. He completely rebuit the compressor on the a/c on my Toyota for $65. You can't go wrong with this guy. He stands behind his work. Great overall mechanic.

3. Likes chico bill liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can make it to La Vega, there is a guy there with the cleanest, most organized a/c shop I've seen since the states. He dispatches what looks like a NASCAR pit crew on your car, great work with speed and precision, all in clean, matching uniforms.

We had a compressor return hose go bad with a tiny leak. He diagnosed the problen, built a brand new hose, and had it installed, system recharged, blowing cold air again in less than 45 minutes and for RD$3000.

Could be worth the drive.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

5. Likes JDJones, Juan Bosch liked this post
    No fui yo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    If you can make it to La Vega, there is a guy there with the cleanest, most organized a/c shop I've seen since the states. He dispatches what looks like a NASCAR pit crew on your car, great work with speed and precision, all in clean, matching uniforms.

We had a compressor return hose go bad with a tiny leak. He diagnosed the problen, built a brand new hose, and had it installed, system recharged, blowing cold air again in less than 45 minutes and for RD$3000.

Where in La Vega ?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post

La Vega is certainly possible for me, but it seems a bit extreme just to repair an AC problem. Santiago is closer to me than La Vega, but I was hoping that there would be something in the Puerto Plata area. Perhaps I'll follow Cavok's suggestion with Mello in Cabarete. I have also heard good things about the Nissan dealer in Puerto Plata. Apparently they have a well trained service department and they service brands other than Nissan. If anyone here has any experience with them, please comment.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    Where in La Vega ?
    Sandy Auto Aire in La Vega
    Cabin Attendant,

9. Likes chico bill liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhanson1 View Post
    La Vega is certainly possible for me, but it seems a bit extreme just to repair an AC problem. Santiago is closer to me than La Vega, but I was hoping that there would be something in the Puerto Plata area. Perhaps I'll follow Cavok's suggestion with Mello in Cabarete. I have also heard good things about the Nissan dealer in Puerto Plata. Apparently they have a well trained service department and they service brands other than Nissan. If anyone here has any experience with them, please comment.
    Check posts #9 and #10. He's no longer at the location mentioned there. I've been using him for everything since about 2010. Wouldn't take my car anywhere else.

https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.ph...abarete-Center

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am very skeptical about locally available or custom-made parts. Even with the best intentions of the mechanic, I would much prefer that he simply tell me exactly what he needs for a part(s), let me order the OEM parts online, then return in a few days for him to install.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I am very skeptical about locally available or custom-made parts. Even with the best intentions of the mechanic, I would much prefer that he simply tell me exactly what he needs for a part(s), let me order the OEM parts online, then return in a few days for him to install.
    I think that depends on what part you're talking about. Most of the time it's not worth the time, expense, and hassle of getting it shipped down here.

Keep in mind the $65 I paid for a rebuilt a/c compressor included included all parts and labor including recharging the system with freon.

Price may vary depending on what type of compressor you have and how hard it is to remove and replace it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn't be. That's how mechanics used to fix cars in the states, before the US became a disposable culture.

I've seen hydraulic hoses built here that are as food as OEM. The a/c hose Sandy's built was top-notch; I watched them build it.

On a tour our van alternator went out, and no spare was available anywhere on Samana, and it would be a couple of days and hassle to get the right one shipped from the capital or Santiago. So we took it to a big used parts place in Nagua, a tech took it apart, saw some diodes were fried, found some good diodes on another alternator and fixed it right there in front of me where I could inspect the work and soldering. It's worked perfectly for two years now.

Never underestimate the ability of a Dominican mechanic. They fix things, not just replace a part.
    Cabin Attendant,

14. Likes Wishing you well, Juan Bosch, jinty05 liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast