Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 107
  1. #1
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The Slow Season has Arrived

    Was out for dinner in Sosua and a couple beers last night, and noticed the restaurant was down on staff, and I was also the only patron at 8PM.

    Chatting with the waitress she said yes they were going to have just one employee everyday, until next fall - except for weekends.

    So I guess Easter marks the start of the Peaceful time for local residents.....nice - except for the businesses trying to stay open.

  2. Likes badpiece33 liked this post
  3. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    28,977
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The slow season is typically April through September. The high season, such as it is now, has been diminishing since the advent (pun intended) of Punta Cana.

    Easter weekend brings the local crazies out in full force for really heavy drinking, partying, car accidents and drownings but isn't really the cue for the ending of high season. After all, the date changes each year for Easter

    Such are my observations of being here since 2003.

  4. Likes badpiece33, Garyexpat liked this post
  5. #3
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    The slow season is typically April through September. The high season, such as it is now, has been diminishing since the advent (pun intended) of Punta Cana.

    Easter weekend brings the local crazies out in full force for really heavy drinking, partying, car accidents and drownings but isn't really the cue for the ending of high season. After all, the date changes each year for Easter

    Such are my observations of being here since 2003.
    Indeed the morons were out in full force yesterday at the paving near Sosua Abajo - They would drive around flagmen, pull out to pass (with 100 cars ahead of them) even though it was one lane. If only the PN was there on motorbikes to slap them with a multa, and delay them even further.

    Makes no difference if they are driving an '83 corolla or a '18 Prado they are willing to drive through fresh asphalt primer, or uncompacted asphalt to advance themselves 100', because they are 'very important' and everyone should recognize that.

    It will be hard to fault because these Samana Santa nut-jobs are intent on acting the fool.

  6. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    Indeed the morons were out in full force yesterday at the paving near Sosua Abajo - They would drive around flagmen, pull out to pass (with 100 cars ahead of them) even though it was one lane. If only the PN was there on motorbikes to slap them with a multa, and delay them even further.

    Makes no difference if they are driving an '83 corolla or a '18 Prado they are willing to drive through fresh asphalt primer, or uncompacted asphalt to advance themselves 100', because they are 'very important' and everyone should recognize that.

    It will be hard to fault because these Samana Santa nut-jobs are intent on acting the fool.
    Only place on earth I've witnessed drivers pass on totally blind corners (among other things)!

  7. Likes Expat-in-Cabarete, JDJones liked this post
  8. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Indeed- they can't get out their own way....
    they try to squeeze thru where there's no room which causes a permanent bottleneck
    and then we're all stuck

    Recently in Gasping Hernandez - one of the worst logjam places - I had to pull up up on the opposite sidewalk
    to avoid being permanently trapped.
    My wife had reached the end of her patience and began to look like a Dominicana

    She stepped out of the car and took over traffic
    One idiot (the main idiot) wouldn't put his window down
    She stuck her face in the windshield at him - he lowered it ... una Guapa she was.

    She broke the jam - stopped traffic to wave me back in and we proceeded on our way

    Such is life in La Rep Dom

  9. #6
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31,593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    excuse me, is the subject here slow fragging season or bad fragging driving? since you guys cannot figure it out i can make it easy with infractions. how 'bout that?

  10. Likes Polar Bear liked this post
    Dislikes Garyexpat disliked this post
  11. #7
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Best time of the year for me here in Cabarete, although, I feel bad for the businesses here. They really struggle until the next season starts. Except for July and August when there is a mini season, this place is a ghost town until after New Years next year. Many places on the beach were closed during the week and only opened on weekends from September through December.

    The off season didn't drag on so long not too many years ago when the Canadian Dollar was 1.07 CAD/USD. With the CAD/USD now being around $0.75, everything is 30% higher for Canadians than it used to be and they're cutting their vacations short because it has become relatively expensive here. Canadians make up a large portion of the tourists and snowbirds here - I'd probably say close to 50%.

  12. #8
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    Best time of the year for me here in Cabarete, although, I feel bad for the businesses here. They really struggle until the next season starts. Except for July and August when there is a mini season, this place is a ghost town until after New Years next year. Many places on the beach were closed during the week and only opened on weekends from September through December.

    The off season didn't drag on so long not too many years ago when the Canadian Dollar was 1.07 CAD/USD. With the CAD/USD now being around $0.75, everything is 30% higher for Canadians than it used to be and they're cutting their vacations short because it has become relatively expensive here. Canadians make up a large portion of the tourists and snowbirds here - I'd probably say close to 50%.
    Wow 50% Canadian - that seems high but with the late icy storms in the North maybe they will hang around a little longer this year ?

  13. #9
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    Wow 50% Canadian - that seems high but with the late icy storms in the North maybe they will hang around a little longer this year ?
    The condo where I live is has got to be close to 50% Canadians(I am just estimating). It seems to be kind of representative of what I see here in Cabarete. Most didn't come down until after New Years and many have already packed up and left.

  14. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    28,977
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    Wow 50% Canadian - that seems high but with the late icy storms in the North maybe they will hang around a little longer this year ?
    In the past 50% would have been a low estimate for the percentage of Canadians. The poor performance of the loonie has decreased the numbers of Canadians over time. We just had 4 people return to Quebec ourselves.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •