The Slow Season has Arrived

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Was out for dinner in Sosua and a couple beers last night, and noticed the restaurant was down on staff, and I was also the only patron at 8PM.

Chatting with the waitress she said yes they were going to have just one employee everyday, until next fall - except for weekends.

So I guess Easter marks the start of the Peaceful time for local residents.....nice - except for the businesses trying to stay open.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The slow season is typically April through September. The high season, such as it is now, has been diminishing since the advent (pun intended) of Punta Cana.

Easter weekend brings the local crazies out in full force for really heavy drinking, partying, car accidents and drownings but isn't really the cue for the ending of high season. After all, the date changes each year for Easter

Such are my observations of being here since 2003.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The slow season is typically April through September. The high season, such as it is now, has been diminishing since the advent (pun intended) of Punta Cana.

Easter weekend brings the local crazies out in full force for really heavy drinking, partying, car accidents and drownings but isn't really the cue for the ending of high season. After all, the date changes each year for Easter

Indeed the morons were out in full force yesterday at the paving near Sosua Abajo - They would drive around flagmen, pull out to pass (with 100 cars ahead of them) even though it was one lane. If only the PN was there on motorbikes to slap them with a multa, and delay them even further.

Makes no difference if they are driving an '83 corolla or a '18 Prado they are willing to drive through fresh asphalt primer, or uncompacted asphalt to advance themselves 100', because they are 'very important' and everyone should recognize that.

It will be hard to fault because these Samana Santa nut-jobs are intent on acting the fool.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
Indeed the morons were out in full force yesterday at the paving near Sosua Abajo - They would drive around flagmen, pull out to pass (with 100 cars ahead of them) even though it was one lane. If only the PN was there on motorbikes to slap them with a multa, and delay them even further.

Makes no difference if they are driving an '83 corolla or a '18 Prado they are willing to drive through fresh asphalt primer, or uncompacted asphalt to advance themselves 100', because they are 'very important' and everyone should recognize that.

It will be hard to fault because these Samana Santa nut-jobs are intent on acting the fool.

Only place on earth I've witnessed drivers pass on totally blind corners (among other things)!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Indeed- they can't get out their own way....
they try to squeeze thru where there's no room which causes a permanent bottleneck
and then we're all stuck

Recently in Gasping Hernandez - one of the worst logjam places - I had to pull up up on the opposite sidewalk
to avoid being permanently trapped.
My wife had reached the end of her patience and began to look like a Dominicana

She stepped out of the car and took over traffic
One idiot (the main idiot) wouldn't put his window down
She stuck her face in the windshield at him - he lowered it ... una Guapa she was.

She broke the jam - stopped traffic to wave me back in and we proceeded on our way

Such is life in La Rep Dom

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
excuse me, is the subject here slow fragging season or bad fragging driving? since you guys cannot figure it out i can make it easy with infractions. how 'bout that?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Best time of the year for me here in Cabarete, although, I feel bad for the businesses here. They really struggle until the next season starts. Except for July and August when there is a mini season, this place is a ghost town until after New Years next year. Many places on the beach were closed during the week and only opened on weekends from September through December.

The off season didn't drag on so long not too many years ago when the Canadian Dollar was 1.07 CAD/USD. With the CAD/USD now being around $0.75, everything is 30% higher for Canadians than it used to be and they're cutting their vacations short because it has become relatively expensive here. Canadians make up a large portion of the tourists and snowbirds here - I'd probably say close to 50%.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Best time of the year for me here in Cabarete, although, I feel bad for the businesses here. They really struggle until the next season starts. Except for July and August when there is a mini season, this place is a ghost town until after New Years next year. Many places on the beach were closed during the week and only opened on weekends from September through December.

The off season didn't drag on so long not too many years ago when the Canadian Dollar was 1.07 CAD/USD. With the CAD/USD now being around $0.75, everything is 30% higher for Canadians than it used to be and they're cutting their vacations short because it has become relatively expensive here. Canadians make up a large portion of the tourists and snowbirds here - I'd probably say close to 50%.

Wow 50% Canadian - that seems high but with the late icy storms in the North maybe they will hang around a little longer this year ?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Wow 50% Canadian - that seems high but with the late icy storms in the North maybe they will hang around a little longer this year ?

The condo where I live is has got to be close to 50% Canadians(I am just estimating). It seems to be kind of representative of what I see here in Cabarete. Most didn't come down until after New Years and many have already packed up and left.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

In the past 50% would have been a low estimate for the percentage of Canadians. The poor performance of the loonie has decreased the numbers of Canadians over time. We just had 4 people return to Quebec ourselves.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Canadian numbers are up every yr to POP , US is still top demographic...but Canadians edging up...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Must have the lowest prices in town :)

Most of the Canadians here are owners, but the ones that do rent pay anywhere from$1000/mo to $1200/mo for and 1bdr/1ba in season. That probably is towards to lower end for oceanfront, but I think there are others cheaper. There's so many units available for rent here. Supply exceeds demand.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

I'm curious as to why the slow season doesn't extend to Christmas. I would have thought with kids in school during the fall, not a ton of vacationing gets done plus it's not that terribly cold in most places. Any thoughts as to why?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm curious as to why the slow season doesn't extend to Christmas. I would have thought with kids in school during the fall, not a ton of vacationing gets done plus it's not that terribly cold in most places. Any thoughts as to why?

It does extend to Christmas. In fact, it extends until after New Years. In the past, some tourists snowbirds started arriving in November. Not very many anymore.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
lots of snowbirds where i live. few years ago canadians were arriving as early as october/november. this time many arrived in december/january. i've heard that some are bothered by migration issues and they do not want to stay too long.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've heard quite a few American and Canadian snowbirds express concern about overstaying and not being permitted to re-enter next year.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

It actually does extend till Christmas. Low season officially starts after Easter. In mid-October Canadians celebrate their Thanksgiving and some of the snowbirds start coming back then. At the end of November the Americans celebrate their Thanksgiving and some of them start coming back. These are mostly the snowbirds that stay for 6 months. Most people wait until after Christmas to visit. In reality, high season is only about 12 weeks of solid business.