New from BM Cargo - Repackaging 43 inch tv for shipment from Maimi to PP

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Hmm. Seems like there is always a added expense that I wasn't expecting! I ordered a 43 inch smart tv from Amazon and did the pre-alerta paperwork as always. It was only $182. But it sat in Miami for 10 days. I finally got Sarah from the BM Cargo office here in Puerto Plata to contact Miami and find out why the delay. It seems that had been trying to contact me? Not really but so they said. It seems that I either need to pay for a wooden crate for the TV (US$100 to US$150) or sign a notice that I won't hold BM Cargo liable for damage. It is still a good buy even with the added cost but of course shipping and handling will also be more because it will weigh more. Anyone else run into this? Just curious!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have seen larger TVs in their original boxes at the Encargopaq office. Prices to import the size I wanted was in a word, silly.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
Out of curiosity - how much did you end up paying BM for shipping and taxes? The prices are dropping to the point it might be worth paying the tax..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That little problem is solved w/ a Mudanza... they charge for shipping by the inch...Aduana happy.

Similarly - to highlight their system...
the shipping for a used fridge is lower than a new one,,,again... they deal w/ the Aduana

Me??
I buy the scratch & dent specials - saving up to 65% sometimes
and then it ships as 'used'... another savings.

Once - I got a $2500 fridge for $700... it shipped as used w/ a nice ding on the door
Never used - brand new......Sears

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
That little problem is solved w/ a Mudanza... they charge for shipping by the inch...Aduana happy.

Similarly - to highlight their system...
the shipping for a used fridge is lower than a new one,,,again... they deal w/ the Aduana

Me??
I buy the scratch & dent specials - saving up to 65% sometimes
and then it ships as 'used'... another savings.

Once - I got a $2500 fridge for $700... it shipped as used w/ a nice ding on the door
Never used - brand new......Sears

Where do you find the scratch & dent specials?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Hmm. Seems like there is always a added expense that I wasn't expecting! I ordered a 43 inch smart tv from Amazon and did the pre-alerta paperwork as always. It was only $182. But it sat in Miami for 10 days. I finally got Sarah from the BM Cargo office here in Puerto Plata to contact Miami and find out why the delay. It seems that had been trying to contact me? Not really but so they said. It seems that I either need to pay for a wooden crate for the TV (US$100 to US$150) or sign a notice that I won't hold BM Cargo liable for damage. It is still a good buy even with the added cost but of course shipping and handling will also be more because it will weigh more. Anyone else run into this? Just curious!

I have a Nook reader from Barnes and Noble. Went to BMCargo and asked the cost of returning it for its warrenty work and he said 600 pesos. He wrapped it and all, but when the lady ran my card it came out to 1068 pesos. BM Cargo BM indeed.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Celt202--- Sears...

but all retailers discount 'damaged goods'...superficial damage means squatly...

We have two Sears Scratch-and-Dent stores near us, one in Voorhees, NJ and one just over the bridge into Delaware. 20- 25,000 sq ft stores, it can be a little overwhelming. The prices are amazing, and sometimes the “damage” is hard to find, or a tiny ding. The Delaware store doesn’t charge sales tax, unless it’s delivered.

In DR we have a big GE fridge that we bought at La Sirena about 5-6 years ago. The thermostat has been replaced twice, and the back wall of the freezer got all rusty (we’re near beach). The guy who replaced the thermostat this year, took the panel with him and refinished and painted it (would never happen in USA). Anyway, before we go back down, we’ll be visiting one of the Sears outlet stores and will ship one down. We’ll recycle our existing fridge to one of our neighbors, several have none.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That is always my complaint... the quality o/s the USA in inferior.

Painting (repainting) the panel is sooo RD, isn't it?
Fix everything.

Scratch'nDent.....the best!!

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
We have two Sears Scratch-and-Dent stores near us, one in Voorhees, NJ and one just over the bridge into Delaware. 20- 25,000 sq ft stores, it can be a little overwhelming. The prices are amazing, and sometimes the “damage” is hard to find, or a tiny ding. The Delaware store doesn’t charge sales tax, unless it’s delivered.

In DR we have a big GE fridge that we bought at La Sirena about 5-6 years ago. The thermostat has been replaced twice, and the back wall of the freezer got all rusty (we’re near beach). The guy who replaced the thermostat this year, took the panel with him and refinished and painted it (would never happen in USA). Anyway, before we go back down, we’ll be visiting one of the Sears outlet stores and will ship one down. We’ll recycle our existing fridge to one of our neighbors, several have none.
Hopefully you will still have Sears...bankruptcy protection...all stores in Canada closed already :(