Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why is Propane Gas so popular?

We all know that propane has a low boiling point. So I have a question that why Propane is popular for cooking?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Instant and consistent heat, affordable and most of all it's available during power outages. I would never go back to an electric stove.

3. Likes cobraboy, beachcomber liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

From an historic prospective in the DR the use of propone can be put down to the policy of JoaquĆ­n Balaguer. To preserve the ever dwindling forests of the DR he encouraged the use of propane for cooking in the cities and country side. He seems to have worked as most of the forests remained intact unlike her neighbor Haiti

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seamonkey View Post
    Instant and consistent heat, affordable and most of all it's available during power outages. I would never go back to an electric stove.
    Electric stoves certainly suck. And yes, propane was introduced in the DR to stop deforestation. Then it became popular for use in vehicles because it costs less than the very inflated price of DR gasoline and diesel fuels.

6. Likes Seamonkey liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't want an electric stove down here, electric costs too much, but I much prefer electric to gas. Different foods cook best at different temperatures and you can control the cooking temperature much more precisely and consistently with electric.

8. Likes Cdn_Gringo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to find anyone that prefers an electric stove over fire. And that goes for the best restaurants in the World.

10. Likes Juan Bosch, Garyexpat, KATIEJAY liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Gas is always more cost effective than electric, so in a restaurant where they do a lot of cooking, gas makes much more sense economically. Also, gas heats up and cools down faster, so in a restaurant where you want to get food out to your patrons as quickly as possible, gas has a definite advantage there, also.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    I wouldn't want an electric stove down here, electric costs too much, but I much prefer electric to gas. Different foods cook best at different temperatures and you can control the cooking temperature much more precisely and consistently with electric.
    I completely disagree after using both electric and gas stoves, but then I detest electric stoves.

13. Likes Juan Bosch, chico bill liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Electric induction hobs (or stoves) are far more efficient than gas or any other kind of heat source. Trouble is, the DR is still in the dark ages with this kind of technology. And you need to buy special/expensive cookware for it to work.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Real cooks NEVER use electric.

16. Likes Juan Bosch, Garyexpat liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast