Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    You don't have to put it in the freezer, but a full charge won't happen unless you do. You might get a 60-75% fill.

I posted a simple $35 refill solution here before. While that won't work for 12 million people in Haiti, it may work for others.

I'm confused: exactly how are Haitian propane tanks different from DR propane tanks?
    It is something about the threading and the coupling - something like that? That the DR gas companies can not fill the tanks in Haiti? It may be mis-information or even dis-information -- but Goddess knows that SOMETHING needs to be done to keep the Haitians from continuing to cut down the trees in the DR (I think that they are down to about 10% cover in Haiti).. They regularly cross over in boats across in Jimani and cut in the territory that is still sorta "disputed" ...

And all that sugar cane bagasse? One would think that Central Romana would do that? Of course the Vincinis and Fanjuls have more money than Croesus and so have no incentive... but someone ought to do it.. even the government...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    It is something about the threading and the coupling - something like that? That the DR gas companies can not fill the tanks in Haiti? It may be mis-information or even dis-information --
    OK. Coupling.

I have several propane tanks at Camp Moto. The big, tall tanks we use for cooking and clothes drying, and two smaller "spare" tanks, just in case, have female couplings. The 20lb. tank for the grill has a male couplings.

I have a common $10 brass adapter that converts female to male, so when the grill tank is empty I can use one of the spare tanks until it gets refilled.

There may be a reason for the difference, I don't know.

Like I said, common adapter device. China prolly has them for $5. I'd be surprised if different threads are a major cause of propane issues in Haiti.

Agree about the trees in Haiti. One issue about Haiti is climate. Besides deforestation, most of Haiti is rather dry.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    Electric induction hobs (or stoves) are far more efficient than gas or any other kind of heat source.
    The energy transfer from the electrical supply to the pan may be more efficient, but that does not mean electricity is more efficient overall. Cooking with propane, 100% of the combustion energy is available under the pan (and much of it goes into heating the pan - certainly more than half), whereas if you are getting your electricity from Punta Catalina, at least half the combustion energy from the coal is lost to stack heat and cooling water heat. Of course if you were cooking with an induction hob powered by wind generators or solar arrays, then you might have a valid claim. Maybe someday.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    Most of the places I have rented in the DR do not have proper wiring to carry an electric stove.
    Besides that I made a deal a while back with my cook, whom is also my bedpartner. I won't try to control her gas in the kitchen if she let's me control the gas in the car.

5. Likes cavok liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuillermoRamon View Post
    Running a natural gas line through La Republica Disneyland seems like a venture they could undertake?? They cant keep the electricity on which is above ground and easy access... Aside from that, Propano es mas barato que la electricidad
    The government cannot maintain the water distribution pipes in good order. When there is a water leak the government may or may not fix it, there may or may not be water damage to the surrounding area. A natural gas distribution system is another animal. It requires 100% vigilance, a vigilance that is not a behavior in the RD. Keep in mind of the gas disaster of September 2018 in Lawrence, Massachusetts and surrounding communities when gas lines were over-pressurized, causing explosions, 80 fires, 40 homes damaged, one death, 30,000 people evacuated. This happened in a country that heavily regulates and enforces the regulations on the utilities.

Heaven forbid the RD even considers natural gas lines for the public. It is not ready for it, period!

Regards,

PJT

7. Likes cobraboy, NanSanPedro liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    That's technically incorrect. LPG or propane has a higher calorific value than natural gas / methane. The flame from LPG is actually slightly higher in temperature than natural gas.
    Somebody stayed awake in chemistry class, what's next pipe stress, fluid mechanics

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Driving around with a propane Bomb in your back Seat ... could never understand that..........

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lincy View Post
    We all know that propane has a low boiling point. So I have a question that why Propane is popular for cooking?
    Propane is relatively cheap, stable, widely available, portable (good for places that don't have natural gas lines), and permits cooking over fire, which many people prefer.

11. Likes bienamor liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Haiti imposed heavy import tax on propane which makes charcoal cheaper. Much of the charcoal in the DR is made from cutting branches while Haiti cuts down whole trees. Propane makes the most sense for cooking in the DR until the apagos are a distant memory.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345