Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Your points Uzin are well taken. Yes, the DR has been and continues to be rather lax in their enforcement of the laws enacted by the politicians here. We know that if you attached a dollar bill to a string and dragged it behind you, you would quickly have a horde of people chasing that dollar. It's no surprise that you can pay for goods and services here that you might not be legally entitled to make use of - registering/insuring a car, purchasing real estate without registering as a foreign investor, driving longer than you are allowed to, staying in the country longer than your documentation specifically allows.

If you choose to stay longer and make use of the exit payment when you do leave, that is one thing. If you stay longer and also choose to drive the entire time, that's two things. If you do those two things and regularly prowl the strip drinking to excess and partying with the local wildlife, that's three things. The more things you string together the better the chances that you will someday encounter a problem.

Pichardo says that handheld data terminals are coming, and I believe they probably are. How many of them, will the officials routinely use them, will they work? I haven't a clue. But if they do, then they represent one more way that a foreigner operating outside the limits of the written laws in this country can potentially find themselves in difficulty. An unfortunate encounter and negative outcome only has to happen once for it to be significant to the individual.

I get the mindset that chooses to stay for a few months and pay at the end. It's cheaper and easier than getting a visa, its certainly cheaper and easier than getting residency which the individual may not really want or qualify for. I understand the concept of playing the lottery and being surprised when you win big. I understand the convenience of driving a car here by those that are staying for a long time. When playing the DR immigration lottery, winning is being allowed to pay a penalty before you get on your flight home. Currently, most players win the default prize. It is, however, still a gamble to some varying extent based on factors that the player does not control.

The more consecutive overstay days you string together, the more often you drive after the permitted period, the more you go out in public, the greater your chances of woe. Just wait for these terminals to appears in the hands of the PN and the Army at a roadside checkpoint. Click, click and your status pops up and guess what, the cost to buy your way out of that has gone from a bill tucked into your visor to possibly a trip to an ATM. Get into a serious traffic accident with injuries while driving without the appropriate visa and there is no doubt at all in my mind, that will end not as many think it will.

You can still play the odds here in the DR, and for now they still seem to favor the player. The more often you play, the more likely you are to eventually lose big and possibly the sooner that will happen. For me, I chose not to play. I go about my day without having to think about my immigration status, the validity of my DR driver's license, whether my insurance companies will honor their policy in full and most importantly, I do not have to automatically cave to extortion attempts, because I have legal standing (for what that's worth) and can choose to say no because I am not immediately at a legal disadvantage.

People are free to make their own decision on these and other matters related to their stay in the DR. For now, most be just fine provided they don't have a run of random bad luck. That's still just too much of a risk, for me to contemplate and accept everyday.

2. Likes Dr_Taylor liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Uzin, The main point of this thread is that if you are on a 30 day tourist card and take no action to be in the DR legally after 30 days, your foreign license is invalid. Period. There is zero doubt about this point. People who drive illegally are taking a chance.

The fact that long term tourist visas don't currently exist and may never exist or may be implemented tomorrow by some miracle, the police ignore people that overstay, or that the insurance companies pay claims, at least most of the time, on those without legally valid licenses here are all points of discussions around the main point.

I have been looking for action on a snow bird visa for years. The DR is paralyzed over this issue and it has a lot to do with the country next door and preferential treatment for people from other countries.

As for being way into the future for data collection and analysis by the government, I read many articles and they indicate that day is really close. They really are watching. People who got away with traffic fines for years are seeing those come to the light of day when they try and exit the country, for example.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Post #92 says it all.....

Let me recite my experience w/ the New System.... regarding fines & payments

My citizenship application contained my Buena Conducta.... totally clear
    Due to elapsed time, I was asked to refresh that report.

Kaboom.... a fine from 2013 or so appeared.. speeding ticket - unpaid
    The new system at work !!

I jumped into action - went straight to BanReservas to pay the fine..
    Nope... no can do... system not accepting payments yet

That's how new the system was - still being installed
    I might have been the 1st request to pay a fine

3 days later - everything went smoothly...both sides of the program installed and operating

That was a glimpse of the future for me..... they get it.... and will get any offenders

Embrace the new technology.... it is embracing you !!!

5. Likes Dr_Taylor liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies, I think the main point is being the practical implementation of the law in DR, otherwise there are just pipe dreams and worthless theories on pieces of paper and in the head of lawyers and politicians ...

So I encourage DR1 community to report on this forum personally when they have any experience with AMET, PN, or any other authorities if/when they question their over 30 days status in all facts of life, driving, banking, insurance, real state transactions, renting, business etc. , so we can benefit from their experience and find out if DR law in this regard may be starting to be implemented or followed... (so far in the absent of that, and many examples to the contrary, we can safely say it isn't.).

Of course very little use in speculating and wishful thinking but what happens in real day to day life will be the measure that establish the norm in the country. As for taking a risk, we have to get some stats to measure the risk, that is the number of problem cases divided by the number of over-stayers (anybody has that !?). I wonder how comparable that stats is against criminal acts against foreigners with residency in the country.... ! Lottery all around us.

I have said many times before, when they actively start chasing, arresting and deporting over-stayers we will all move on to greener pastures.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no one on this board that ever reported a real problem with this that I know of. And a real problem is not someone asking how long you were here. It takes more than that to create a real problem. I do know many people that are here for 20 or more years, driving with a foreign license, had accidents, etc with no additional problems relating to this issue.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910