Foreign Driver License validity in DR

P

PICHARDO

If you are a tourist visiting the DR and entered the country with no visa required:

That means you can drive legally in the DR for 30 days. This is the legal term of time your foreign license is valid for during your stay, since your legal stay is 30 days.

As some can attest, many people have driven beyond this term and had no issues due to this.
Some can even find insurance coverage for vehicles purchased and registered whilst as tourists in the Dominican Republic.

What's plausible and what's defined as legal can change when something happens.

Getting into an accident, while driving in the DR beyond the 30 days, can bring you a lot of legal issues when personal or property damages are involved. The insurance company can (at their option) cover or not the damages or injuries under the policy, by simply accepting or declining the validity of your License during your extended stay beyond the visa-free term.

As a rule of thumb, given their brand reputation, most insurers will provide policy coverage for both. But when it comes to the legal aspect in a Dominican court, precedence lies with the Law and valid limits extended under the visa-free tourist stay. That's to say, the court will not rely on a private insurance provider in determining the validity status of your foreign license once a claim is made for injury/damages.

The short and layman terms for this:

Your foreign license is valid ONLY for 30 Days.
Any extension of this term, would require you file for a legal extension of your tourist stay with Immigration.
When you exit the country and pay a penalty fee for overstaying beyond the 30 days, is exactly just that:
A penalty fee.

If you entered the DR with a VISA, the term defined in the VISA and stamped on your passport is the Validity term of your foreign driver license in the DR. The validity ends at the defined date stamped on the Visa/Passport for length of stay.

Driving in the DR with a foreign driver license beyond the legal stay in the country, can bring you a heap of trouble if something major occurs.

Things are slowly changing in the DR. Don't be caught off guard!

Like I said here in the forums of DR1, even a foot patrol Police agent will be able to scan your passport/ID and determine your legal status in the country soon enough.

W

windeguy

And therein is the primary reason I became a DR resident. I could not maintain a US driver's license if I don't live there.

I do hope some day the DR finds a way to come up with a snow bird visa. That change would be a welcome one.

W

Wishing you well

If you are a tourist visiting the DR and entered the country with no visa required:

That means you can drive legally in the DR for 30 days. This is the legal term of time your foreign license is valid for during your stay, since your legal stay is 30 days.

As some can attest, many people have driven beyond this term and had no issues due to this.
Some can even find insurance coverage for vehicles purchased and registered whilst as tourists in the Dominican Republic.

Getting into an accident, while driving in the DR beyond the 30 days, can bring you a lot of legal issues when personal or property damages are involved. The insurance company can (at their option) cover or not the damages or injuries under the policy, by simply accepting or declining the validity of your License during your extended stay beyond the visa-free term.

As a rule of thumb, given their brand reputation, most insurers will provide policy coverage for both. But when it comes to the legal aspect in a Dominican court, precedence lies with the Law and valid limits extended under the visa-free tourist stay. That's to say, the court will not rely on a private insurance provider in determining the validity status of your foreign license once a claim is made for injury/damages.

Any extension of this term, would require you file for a legal extension of your tourist stay with Immigration.
When you exit the country and pay a penalty fee for overstaying beyond the 30 days, is exactly just that:
A penalty fee.

If you entered the DR with a VISA, the term defined in the VISA and stamped on your passport is the Validity term of your foreign driver license in the DR. The validity ends at the defined date stamped on the Visa/Passport for length of stay.

Driving in the DR with a foreign driver license beyond the legal stay in the country, can bring you a heap of trouble if something major occurs.

Pichi,

Please post a link to substantiate the post - no doubting the veracity of your own words but rather get it from an official source .

Like I said here in the forums of DR1, even a foot patrol Police agent will be able to scan your passport/ID and determine your legal status in the country soon enough.

But they have yet to figured out how to provide electricity and running water?

Eventually we'll get there, when priorities are "prioritized correctly."

:paranoid:

P

PICHARDO

Pichi,

Please post a link to substantiate the post - no doubting the veracity of your own words but rather get it from an official source .

But they have yet to figured out how to provide electricity and running water?

Eventually we'll get there, when priorities are "prioritized correctly."

:paranoid:

We've made it public and targeting the tourists above all via the Ministry of Tourism:

http://www.godominicanrepublic.com/faq-items/is-my-drivers-license-valid-in-the-dominican-republic/

I'd made it even more clear in layman and legal terms for the many lawyers and Judges here on DR1...:classic:

As for the electricity and running water? Are you missing either?
When in Rome!?

You seem to forget our electrical problem is in grand part due to unpaid users correct?

We produce more electricity than the demand requests from the national grid. A major chunk we lose (which has been decreasing year to year as we improve the grid) due to inefficiencies in the still in operations transmission lines from the 60's.

Also we have been diversifying our energy matrix non-stop for the past decade. The latest addition to that has been the Punta Catalina Plant. This plan is being put into operations first via coal, which will be replaced once we conclude a part of a contracted deal under the financing terms we had to procure post Odebrecht implosion.
Once that contract is fulfilled, the plant will simply switch to Natural Gas, pending piping.

Given our Caribbean Sun and location, we are also in the early phases of introducing self powered homes, that will only rely on the national grid for stand downs. This system is using highly efficient PVC and batteries, with enough capacity to power all devices in an efficient home.(more on that later).

As for running water, we still believe that conservation, recycling and efficient technologies will help in changing our national water crisis (yes there's one).

Ciao!

D

DR Solar

Nice to see you back Pic, even though we have butted heads at times.

Some CC's have the rental insurance option but you have to make sure you have it and use it and IF it covers you past the 30 days. Ours does.

Power? You still have power problems? The DR has pushed for and has a no tax on imported wind/solar and systems for them. Batteries not included. Those with electric problems have those issues cause they don't want to figure them out or pay for solutions; a cheap generator? Some are very inexpensive but it's easier to blame the DR system then solve the problem.

Water? We may be in another drought year. Try looking at rain water roof collection systems. Cheap and easy to do.

Going on 6 years with little street power and no city water. We are just fine. We have DR DLs.

W

Wishing you well

We've made it public and targeting the tourists above all via the Ministry of Tourism:

http://www.godominicanrepublic.com/faq-items/is-my-drivers-license-valid-in-the-dominican-republic/

I'd made it even more clear in layman and legal terms for the many lawyers and Judges here on DR1...:classic:

Not that fast Pichi. That website is not an official government source, I don't see the .gov.do?

Second, they have one liner as the answer to the question vs. the lecture you originally posted?

Not trying to minimize the point, just need to get it from the horse's mouth, no yours, no from a ghost website.

Try again, you could do it....

As for the electricity and running water? Are you missing either?
When in Rome!?

Oh for the love of Jesus, you are asking if water and electricity are missing in this island?

Rather ask where and who is available to.

You seem to forget our electrical problem is in grand part due to unpaid users correct?

We produce more electricity than the demand requests from the national grid. A major chunk we lose (which has been decreasing year to year as we improve the grid) due to inefficiencies in the still in operations transmission lines from the 60's.

Also we have been diversifying our energy matrix non-stop for the past decade. The latest addition to that has been the Punta Catalina Plant. This plan is being put into operations first via coal, which will be replaced once we conclude a part of a contracted deal under the financing terms we had to procure post Odebrecht implosion.
Once that contract is fulfilled, the plant will simply switch to Natural Gas, pending piping.

Good ol' Dominican planing right there. Let us make it coal dependant and then once operational (if ever), allow us to (get richer) by converting a newly build plant to gas. At that point, well, we still have to figure the pipe infrastructure.

Given our Caribbean Sun and location, we are also in the early phases of introducing self powered homes, that will only rely on the national grid for stand downs. This system is using highly efficient PVC and batteries, with enough capacity to power all devices in an efficient home.(more on that later).

Love this guy ingenuity and perseverance indeed.

LOL

Dude, I am already taking advantages of the location and sun - my tinaco gets hotter and hotter as the day goes by, with assistance from the big star - water comes out just right.

I take my home is, to use your terms, "an efficient home?"

The imagination and zealously to defend the homefront from Pichi is admirable. Foolish at times, but yet a feast to enjoy.

As for running water, we still believe that conservation, recycling and efficient technologies will help in changing our national water crisis (yes there's one).

Ciao!

No magic plans, technology, big networks, telefericos or metros to fix the water issues?

C'mmon?

L

LTSteve

A penalty fee.

This is not only good information but it's the law. You need residency in order to get a Dominican driver's license. Ignorance is bliss but remember it can't be used as an excuse in court.

W

windeguy

For those who somehow some way still don't "get it": If you have to pay an overstay fine when you leave, that means you are in the country illegally. If you are in the country illegally, then your driver's license is not valid.

C

cavok

It was hown clearly on another thread that a drivers license is only valid for the length of time stamped on your visa. The same would apply to a tourist card.

K

KateP

The website Pichardo mentions is the DR Ministry of Tourism's official site.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

B

beeza

Even if you're here legally with a Dominican driver's licence, you will still be held accountable for any accidents that weren't even your fault.

I witnessed an accident where a pair of young kids on a moto, overtook a line of traffic on the wrong side of the road and slammed into the side of a car turning left. The owner of the car was foreign and i offered to be a witness if needed.

The kids had no licence, no helmets, no insurance and were driving on the wrong side of the road.

The car driver was a foreigner with a Dominican licence. Had insurance, was wearing his seatbelt, was obeying a rules of road and was slightly injured during the accident.

Despite my testimony as a witness, the judge awarded damages to the kids!

W

william webster

Comments like this encouraged me to get a dashcam.........

R

Ricardo900

A penalty fee.

Pichardo, How would obtaining an "International Driver's License" work in the DR??

P

PICHARDO

Not that fast Pichi. That website is not an official government source, I don't see the .gov.do?

Second, they have one liner as the answer to the question vs. the lecture you originally posted?

Not trying to minimize the point, just need to get it from the horse's mouth, no yours, no from a ghost website.

Try again, you could do it....

See the answer on this post by another DR1 member here https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.p...lidity-in-DR?p=1946057&viewfull=1#post1946057

Oh for the love of Jesus, you are asking if water and electricity are missing in this island?

Rather ask where and who is available to.

:chinese:

Good ol' Dominican planing right there. Let us make it coal dependant and then once operational (if ever), allow us to (get richer) by converting a newly build plant to gas. At that point, well, we still have to figure the pipe infrastructure.

FYI it's functional and as planned on phase 2...

Love this guy ingenuity and perseverance indeed.

LOL

:cheeky:

Dude, I am already taking advantages of the location and sun - my tinaco gets hotter and hotter as the day goes by, with assistance from the big star - water comes out just right.

I take my home is, to use your terms, "an efficient home?"

The imagination and zealously to defend the homefront from Pichi is admirable. Foolish at times, but yet a feast to enjoy.

You haven't noticed yet? Plenty new constructions employing high efficiency designs and technologies in the DR.

No magic plans, technology, big networks, telefericos or metros to fix the water issues?

C'mmon?

Water crisis is a world wide universal problem, not just the DR problem. The thing is, given how the DR has yet to had implemented a large scale system like older and developed nations enjoy today, we see the older legacy infrastructures were never designed to anything close resembling efficiency parameters to today's standards.

In fact, many are collapsing under the demand and usage. On the other hand, we are able to look for newer technologies and efficient designs those nations didn't get when developing theirs. It's a matter of "Los ultimos, seran los primeros"...

In effect, over 90% of homes in the DR are built without having public services as the sole source of these needed resources. Tinacos, Cisternas, etc... Even pumps that are on an off-grid power source for their operations are the norm, rather than the exception (like other well developed nations).

It's a matter of seeing the glass half full or...

W

Wishing you well

Ok Pichi, got the Drivers License thing, although, still, this is something that if that site is legit and from the minesterio of turismo (not the official government ministry to discuss drivers licenses and legalities of anyways) it should have a link to the proper government office which could explain the legalities of driver's licenses in country for legal, illegals, residents, citizens and naturalized citizens.

No just a one liner, without further legal explanations.

As per the water - do not (by choice) try to mix and match. The crisis of water here is two folds, scarcity due to natural causes (no rain) and no water available at the point of use, such as out of the faucet on demand.

No much the government could do with reason 1, until it rains, though for the second reason, this country has't had a working infrastructure for decades man?

You tout the infrastructure and technological advances of the country such as teleferico and metro, why could the government provide something so indispensable to the populace as water?

One clue why no, perhaps Odebrecht doesn't deal with acueductos?

Does it?

P

PICHARDO

Ok Pichi, got the Drivers License thing, although, still, this is something that if that site is legit and from the minesterio of turismo (not the official government ministry to discuss drivers licenses and legalities of anyways) it should have a link to the proper government office which could explain the legalities of driver's licenses in country for legal, illegals, residents, citizens and naturalized citizens.

No just a one liner, without further legal explanations.

As per the water - do not (by choice) try to mix and match. The crisis of water here is two folds, scarcity due to natural causes (no rain) and no water available at the point of use, such as out of the faucet on demand.

No much the government could do with reason 1, until it rains, though for the second reason, this country has't had a working infrastructure for decades man?

You tout the infrastructure and technological advances of the country such as teleferico and metro, why could the government provide something so indispensable to the populace as water?

One clue why no, perhaps Odebrecht doesn't deal with acueductos?

Does it?

I'm a Gov Official! So you got it from an official channel...

One liner? Do you need it to be more redundant than it clearly states? I think being that I love to extend things a bit, getting it so short, clean and to the point makes it a winner.
:pirate:

It's our Gov official website for tourists! Perhaps you want some flags or official links so that they could make it more "official" looking?
Send me your ideas, we'll look them over!

I don't think tourists are interested in legalities on residency, expats, etc...
Again, it's very clear and very hard to have questions after reading it. No?

Hmmmm... You really think developed nations fare any better than the DR to this end? I can post a long list of entire regions, counties, cities, etc... In developed countries facing not only no water from the pipes, but water than can poison them if drank...

Again, you are making a local water issue sound like the DR is running on sand. It's not and clearly many here can attest they have no such problems.

As far as running water into Bateyes, huts and the boonies, we're are not interested in making these illegal settlements permanent. Not every corridor and trench is a planned location. They will all be eventually razed to the ground and the land developed.

I have yet to lack water in the DR since birth...

W

windeguy

Amazing how a simple topic like being able to drive legally only during the duration of tourist card (or within the limits visas allow) turn into a discussion in water, infrastructure, power, etc, etc etc..

W

Wishing you well

Of course you are. Thanks for the clarification.

Again, you are making a local water issue sound like the DR is running on sand. It's not and clearly many here can attest they have no such problems.

It isn't just yet because of pumps, cisternas, tinacos, wells and people's ingenuity to make it through it - after all, water is a basic necessity if you didn't know. We can't do without it and therefore one must make a way to get it.

Let me make it clear - there isn't an on demand system available or provided by the government to provide people with water (a basic necessity) at their faucets within their homes, period!

Do not twist it.

As far as running water into Bateyes, huts and the boonies, we're are not interested in making these illegal settlements permanent. Not every corridor and trench is a planned location. They will all be eventually razed to the ground and the land developed.

See, you would love to push this as something that just happens in the places you mentioned above. Dude, la capital, which happens to be the main and most developed city has no running water for the most part and in most barrios to include Gazcue, El Millon, Los Prados, etc, people manage thanks to "buying" from trucks or having cisternas, wells, pumps, tinacos, etc, none of it government provided.

LOL

Sure.

;)

N

NanSanPedro

Way too much heart on exhibit here.