Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    As for driver's licenses for foreigners - the the biggest hurdles to overcome are obtaining residency and passing the test with limited Spanish. The latter being far easier than the former.
    I do not know about this. Getting residency appears easier, even when one possesses better than limited Spanish. Now, if the video presented itself without the voice over narration, or with someone who clearly enunciates the words, then I will agree. Aside, I recall being told to "ben aca" in a place of business more than once. I thought to myself, does he mean "ven aqui"?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Taylor View Post
    Do U.S. citizens enjoy reciprocity like this?
    Had to bump this up as the thread went off into power grid/residency issues...

I believe that it is ONLY the US that does not have reciprocity? Although I don't know about those from South America? Europeans and Canadians can, I believe, just swap out theirs without getting their residencies.

This was my MAIN issue about getting residency - I did not have a legal driver's license. I did not have a car, either so it was not a biggie. But when I rented one, I was always nervous since I was technically usually beyond my 30 or 90 or whatever was the legal limit - I used to just pay my overstay fine.

The rental car companies never had an issue - all I needed was a valid US license.

And Thank Goddess, I was never in an accident.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    Europeans and Canadians can, I believe, just swap out theirs without getting their residencies.
    That's not true. Canadians and Europeans DO need Residency before getting a driver's licence, like everyone else. The difference is that after getting Residency they can get a Dominican licence without taking the driving test, if they get their domestic licence verified and if they choose to do so. Americans have to take the test.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    That's not true. Canadians and Europeans DO need Residency before getting a driver's licence, like everyone else. The difference is that after getting Residency they can get a Dominican licence without taking the driving test, if they get their domestic licence verified and if they choose to do so. Americans have to take the test.
    The reason being that the Federal government in the USA does not have a database that all states are compliant with. Even though Canada is divided into separate provinces that issue their own drivers licences the Federal government has access to that information.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    It was hown clearly on another thread that a drivers license is only valid for the length of time stamped on your visa. The same would apply to a tourist card.
    Here is your problem, no length of stay is stamped on a tourist passport, only an entry stamp with the date of entry - unlike many other countries that have a limit for tourist's stay. DR has no limit for tourist stay and hence does not stamp a duration and does not enforce it when they find a visitor that stays longer than a month (unlike other countries). You can stay free of charge for 30 days, after that you pay a fee according to your time in the country.

It is interesting that this issue has come up again after a few years ago when everyone on this forum said people will be black-listed and picked up in the street and deported and hell break loose, and what happened so far, nothing... !!!???

I think this thread is a sign that residency lawyers are desperate again and trying to stir up some business... ! lol

Your presence in the country being legal or not has nothing to do with your driving anyway, if you drive without a valid (unexpired) license or no license you are in trouble. Being in the country illegally has no effect on your driving ability and having a license to drive. Hence all insurance companies totally ignore the claim on this thread and sell and honor claims irrespective of your status of stay in the country....

Good luck with stirring up business though, I am sure you get a few bites due to this thread, good job... !

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to wake you up Rip van Winkle

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Default Change to arrival passport stamp
    Feel like it's been a while since this forum freaked out about overstay fee...

Noticed on my arrival this week to sti the stamp now has a spot to write visa type (marked na for me) and a spot for validity period (marked 30 días for me)

Didn't see any posts here about the new stamps

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post
    Here is your problem, no length of stay is stamped on a tourist passport, only an entry stamp with the date of entry - unlike many other countries that have a limit for tourist's stay. DR has no limit for tourist stay and hence does not stamp a duration and does not enforce it when they find a visitor that stays longer than a month (unlike other countries). You can stay free of charge for 30 days, after that you pay a fee according to your time in the country.

It is interesting that this issue has come up again after a few years ago when everyone on this forum said people will be black-listed and picked up in the street and deported and hell break loose, and what happened so far, nothing... !!!???

I think this thread is a sign that residency lawyers are desperate again and trying to stir up some business... ! lol

Your presence in the country being legal or not has nothing to do with your driving anyway, if you drive without a valid (unexpired) license or no license you are in trouble. Being in the country illegally has no effect on your driving ability and having a license to drive. Hence all insurance companies totally ignore the claim on this thread and sell and honor claims irrespective of your status of stay in the country....

Good luck with stirring up business though, I am sure you get a few bites due to this thread, good job... !
    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Sorry to wake you up Rip van Winkle

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Default Change to arrival passport stamp
    Feel like it's been a while since this forum freaked out about overstay fee...

Noticed on my arrival this week to sti the stamp now has a spot to write visa type (marked na for me) and a spot for validity period (marked 30 días for me)

Didn't see any posts here about the new stamps
    Link to the thread, including photo of new immigration stamp in use since February

https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.ph...passport-stamp

Administrator
    DR1.com

8. Likes Uzin liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post

Here's your problem - you're woefully uninformed and out of date. All tourists now get their passports stamped and a 30 day validity is marked on the passport. After that date, you're illegally in the country. As of right now, the only consequence is the payment of an overstay fee when you leave.

Many people come here on a visa, including tourists from some countries, as well as those on student visas, work visas, and others. The length of stay is determined by the type of visa and the expiration date. They can drive on their foreign license for the validity of their visa.

Insurance companies are happy to be collecting premiums and will have no problem paying small claims. Just wait until you get into a major accident or kill somebody and then see how willing they are to pay the claim. Reminds me of a non-resident that had medical insurance here and had high medical claims. When he went to check out of the clinic he received an unexpect large bill. Why? Because non-residents weren't entitled to receive the full policy limit - a little exception that was buried somewhere in the fine print and was only to found in the main office.

I have zero connections with any insurance company. Next time, before you cop a condescending attitude and tell other posters what their problem is, try knowing more about what you're talking about.

10. Likes Uzin, windeguy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Nicely put cavok....

I have not forgotten the health claim denied a 'visitor'... aka non-resident

Some people.... hate to be informed /current....

aaah... the good old days..... wine and roses

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't heard about the new tourist entry stamp - not entered DR for a while (!), my bad...

Still, we should wait and see how they implement the 30 days limit, round up tourists and deport them in bus loads and black-list over-stayers and prevent all those who went passed the limit to re-enter the country. Other countries do that religiously and there is a heavy fine and even prison term to back it up. Let's get worked up about this when DR started doing the same... !

Although with all the bad publicity about their AI one-week visitors I don't think they will be looking to cut their nose off with also harassing snow-birds and a few months stayers too... (DR is not the only place with beaches and palm trees, I hope someone mentions that to them !).

Also as for the topic of this thread, let's hear the first over-stayer who shows his valid foreign driving license to the AMET and get arrested due to passed 30 days stay, and I stop driving.... (well, and after leave the country for better pastures anyway...)

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast