Stun Guns and Batons

C

cobraboy

Does anyone know the DR laws regfarding possession and use of stun batons and stun guns? How anpout the importation for personal use.

We had an incident walking our sweet 3.5 month old Great Dane we don't want to go throiugh again: he was visciously attacked while we were out on a walk.

C

cavok

Sorry to hear that. Hope he is recovering. Who/what attacked him?

C

cobraboy

Let me guess. A rottweiler?
No. Not a specific breed, but maybe 50 lbs. He got out his fenced yard. Seems the house owner parked on the street, went inside and left the gate open.

I was doing leash training on the street and the dog came out of nowhere, no warning, no barking, nothing. Just sprint--->attack.

My Great Dane is a young guy and naive of the ways of the dog world. There wasn't a lot I could do beyond kicking and punching and trying to keep them apart. I did throw a baseball-size rock with an adrenalin fastball and hit the dog in the ribs. Attack over, the attacker whimpered and limped away. Tough s#!t.

My poor little big guy ended up with 12 stitches and some psychological angst. He's not even 4 months old.

If I had a stun stick the fight could have been avoided.

Lesson learned: be prepared.

So maybe someone can give me some insight into how a stun gun or baton fits within DR laws, and how importing one would work. The one I'm looking at is like a walking stick that can expand from 29" to 50" and powers to a crackling 950k volts at the tip spike electrodes with the flip of a switch.

C

cavok

A woman I knew several years ago opened up a security business and was selling stun guns and pepper spray among other things. It's closed now. Not sure if the laws have changed.

C

chico bill

I carry a broom handle inside a 3/4" PVC schedule 40 sleeve all wrapped in Gorilla tape with a hard rubber ball on the end.
My friend carries an aluminum baton.
I broke up a dog fight having to keep my own dog from hurting the dog who rushed him and attacked.
I hated to hit my own dog but the other dog was too old and I don't want any animal hurt.
And I have squared off against a pack of 3 others 3 times, all about 65 lbs each, trying to chase us.

Most dogs back down in the face of a club swinging back and forth, whizzing, and me slapping the ground with the leash in my other hand, that I just carry over my shoulder.
Never run away, turn and face them. That makes them retreat.
But yes young dogs don't know how to defend themselves. Good thing Dad was there to rescue him.
But a Great Dane will grow and he'll remember this other dog when he's 120 lbs.
But Rotties, Pit Bulls and Dogos all are ones that have inner brain waves off kilter.
Notice most street dogs avoid fighting. They learn it isn't in there interest.

Your dog will also remember you stepped in and after that you tended his wounds.
Dogs appreciate getting nursed back to health.

Let us know if and where you find a stun-stick, aka cattle prod. Farmers might know.

L

LTSteve

Does anyone know the DR laws regfarding possession and use of stun batons and stun guns? How anpout the importation for personal use.

We had an incident walking our sweet 3.5 month old Great Dane we don't want to go throiugh again: he was visciously attacked while we were out on a walk.

PEPPER SPRAY?

M

malko

No idea on actual laws.

Years back, i just stuck a hand-held taser thingy ( sort of a phone type-size thing that creates an electric ark between 2 prongs---- if u guys see what i am talking about ) in a box that i had sent over. The box was opened by customs ( the main purpose of the box was to send myself 12 bottles of champagne---- which i indicated on the inventory ), and they either missed it, or didnt care.

On another occasion i bought some stuff off sears ( ?) and got the stuff sent directly to me in the dr ( big mistake $ wise :( ), and one of the items was a combo flashlight/stun thingy. It arrived........ but worked for like a whole 2 days---- not surprising at 12 bucks.....lol.

L

lifeisgreat

https://www.puntacanainternationalairport.com/images/services-airport/pdf/cesac-guidelines01.pdf
Says no to pepper spray but yet bought some in Santiago store, also says no toy guns allowed but pellet guns are allowed ..

L

lifeisgreat

Sorry about your dog :( speedy recovery!! If your close to Sosua there is street walking vendor selling stun guns around jolly Rogers I’m not sure if he is around still..alternatively you can use a dog shock collar epoxied to end of pvc pipe same principal legal to bring in...my neighbor used it for food aggression on his three dogs and you can control amount of shock is added benefit.

C

Cdn_Gringo

Because most of the laws in this country are published to websites as pdf files, it's difficult to search for the specific law that deals with your question. As a business owner here, you must have a lawyer that you use from time to time, ask them for specific reference to the applicable laws(s) and statutes.

True tasers that fire projectiles connected to wires are covered under the main firearms law and are prohibited without a license. In the case of tasers, obtaining a license would require listing a valid reason for doing so if you are not a member of the police or military.

Handheld conductive energy devices - to the best of my knowledge are not prohibited out right but there is a restriction on how powerful such a device can be for civilian ownership.

Cattle prods - low to mid yield devices designed for the purpose of controlling animals are not restricted.

You do not need 500kV to effectively deal with a smallish animal such as a dog. High discharge devices are weapons intended to incapacitate. You merely wish to deter and send scurrying an aggressive animal and not necessarily cause it's heart to explode.

Provided you restrict your use of such a device to animals and provided you don't kill the animal, you should be on sound legal footing on the rare occasion you might need to use a CED. If you use such a device on a person or if your use of such a device results in the death or injury (burns, neurological issues) to a person or animal, you can be found guilty of an offense where by you used excessive force resulting in injury. When choosing a max voltage take into consideration that your intended target is a smaller animal (than a cow) and thus delivering an excessive jolt could bring about an unintended result.

Also remember, electricity doesn't care who it stuns. Zap an attacking dog that is in contact with your dog and both of them will get juiced. Discharge the device when your dog is cowering between your legs and all three of you will get a buzz - and not in a good way.

For practical reasons and to lower the exposure to legal complications, I'd forgo the strong CED's and stick to a low yield true cattle prod (they are available in various strengths) designed for use in prodding something to move along rather than a device intended to turn the lights out of whatever it is used on.

As a foreigner here in the DR, if you need to stand in front of the fiscal or a judge to assert your right to self defense, you need to be able to show that you used a reasonable amount of force to repel an attack and it would be great if the recipient of that applied force is still alive.

T

Tamborista

A woman I knew several years ago opened up a security business and was selling stun guns and pepper spray among other things. It's closed now. Not sure if the laws have changed.

How is Lady Bird!

Her last post, she was looking for a mooring for a battleship.

U

uncle226

just get a lead pipe machete bat beat the dog or person then exit the area if you are caught just pay the cop a few thousand peso to let you go problem solved

C

cobraboy

Also remember, electricity doesn't care who it stuns. Zap an attacking dog that is in contact with your dog and both of them will get juiced. Discharge the device when your dog is cowering between your legs and all three of you will get a buzz - and not in a good way.
You make an excellent point about chain conductivity, so I researched.

From what I can find a milliamp shock is absorbed by muscles, and will not conduct through people. Maybe if they were soaked with salt water and the amperage was up. This is verified by anecdotal videos where two people holding each other, one is tased and the other feels nothing.

So I think I could shock one dog and not hurt my guy.

B

bienamor

You make an excellent point about chain conductivity, so I researched.

From what I can find a milliamp shock is absorbed by muscles, and will not conduct through people. Maybe if they were soaked with salt water and the amperage was up. This is verified by anecdotal videos where two people holding each other, one is tased and the other feels nothing.

So I think I could shock one dog and not hurt my guy.

Think you have a very good point. used cattle prods a lot when younger and working on ranches. seem to remember 8 or 9 d cell batteries. we also used them to sword fight as kids. none of this you missed me, you knew when you were touched but no big deal but would surprise an animal and make it move.

D

Don PISTOLAS

In Rio San Juan on a small beach just passed Gri Gri Lagoon a gringo couple got out of thier car with a dog. All the beach dogs took of running and surrounded the couple and the dog. They had to retreat into the car. More street dogs then arrived. They were circling the car and barking. It was hard for the couple to navigate away. I never seen anything like it and am now very careful about where I bring my dog until she fills out a little more.

Do you think those dogs would have attcaked just the dog, or the couple as well?

C

cobraboy

In Rio San Juan on a small beach just passed Gri Gri Lagoon a gringo couple got out of thier car with a dog. All the beach dogs took of running and surrounded the couple and the dog. They had to retreat into the car. More street dogs then arrived. They were circling the car and barking. It was hard for the couple to navigate away. I never seen anything like it and am now very careful about where I bring my dog until she fills out a little more.

Do you think those dogs would have attcaked just the dog, or the couple as well?
One street dog is usually not a problem (but was for my young pup) unless they have a physical issue. Think rabies. Pack behavior is different and unpredictable.

A pack could turn on a human in a frenzy. It's like a switch is flipped and they start biting anything within reach...and could be you.

That's one reason I'm thinking of a longer stun stick, not a stun gun or even a stun baton. The extra length could be beneficial earlier in an attack. I have seen such devices that double as a walking cane or a longer, expandable walking stick. Both have high-voltage electrodes that are exposed when needed.