Canceled flights

G

Garyexpat

My daughter just gave notice at an airline where she was a pilot recruiter accepting a position in another industry. There is a shortage of pilots. Makes one wonder about safety and possibly anticipate price increases.

W

william webster

The JetBlue POP-JFK flight last Tuesday had pilot problems.

Flight was late leaving - then rerouted to FLL - for a pilot change

They sat 2 hrs on the runway and arrived JFK after midnite.

My friend was on it - and is getting a full refund

K

KyleMackey

In addition the flight school American carriers require a 4 year degree. That is a lot money to borrow, and then your first assignments are the regional routes with lower pay. I think the military is producing less pilots also, not sure, and ex military was historically where airlines always got a lot of pilots. I know pilots who got to the 250K-300K Captains pay much faster in Asia.

W

william webster

I , too, flew last Tuesday....POP-EWR on United.

The flight was late leaving -- somehow the pilot's oxygen mask failed and needed a part.

Then we get on.... I read, set up my music...log on to the WiFi...

Big guy comes to my row--7ft big and almost as wide
Turns out he played BasketBall w/ Michael Jordan in high school - No Carolina

Then --- I can't find my glasses... I'm patting my pockets. looking under the seat...
He asks if I've lost something..... Yes, my glasses...... he says - Hmmm

2 minutes later - he asks - Are these yours?
and takes them off his face - stretched quite a bit, I might add

Yes there are - thank you.....say I.

Our landing in EWR was a bit sharp... Captain hit the brakes hard trying to make up for lost time.... getting to the gate.

My phone shoots off the seat beside me and disappears down the seats in front.
I can't see it anywhere in front of me.. 2-3 rows.

Stewardess Call Button
she make s an announcement for my side of the plane to check the floor ...

Voila.... found about 6 rows ahead.... passengers clap.

Not my normal easy going flight -----

But the pilot was nice !!! At least we had one !!

C

Caonabo

I , too, flew last Tuesday....POP-EWR on United.

The flight was late leaving -- somehow the pilot's oxygen mask failed and needed a part.

Then we get on.... I read, set up my music...log on to the WiFi...

Big guy comes to my row--7ft big and almost as wide
Turns out he played BasketBall w/ Michael Jordan in high school - No Carolina

Then --- I can't find my glasses... I'm patting my pockets. looking under the seat...
He asks if I've lost something..... Yes, my glasses...... he says - Hmmm

2 minutes later - he asks - Are these yours?
and takes them off his face - stretched quite a bit, I might add

Yes there are - thank you.....say I.

Our landing in EWR was a bit sharp... Captain hit the brakes hard trying to make up for lost time.... getting to the gate.

My phone shoots off the seat beside me and disappears down the seats in front.
I can't see it anywhere in front of me.. 2-3 rows.

Stewardess Call Button
she make s an announcement for my side of the plane to check the floor ...

Voila.... found about 6 rows ahead.... passengers clap.

Not my normal easy going flight -----

But the pilot was nice !!! At least we had one !!

I have your wallet when you need it. I was sitting behind you.

K

kcdmps

...I think the military is producing less pilots also, not sure, and ex military was historically where airlines always got a lot of pilots....

There are less ex-military pilots because many drones are in combat missions these days. Drones are remotely controlled, reducing the need for traditional military pilots.

B

bienamor

There are less ex-military pilots because many drones are in combat missions these days. Drones are remotely controlled, reducing the need for traditional military pilots.

http://www.airforcemag.com/Features...ining-to-Address-Shortage-Future-Threats.aspx

The Air Force is short thousands of pilots and has turned to 19th Air Force to increase its throughput, but at the same time the Pentagon’s National Defense Strategy calls for preparing to meet great power competition. This strategy requires the Air Force to train pilots who can face near-peer threats, and have more capability to make decisions on their own, 19th Air Force Commander Maj. Gen. Patrick Doherty said.

K

kcdmps

http://www.airforcemag.com/Features...ining-to-Address-Shortage-Future-Threats.aspx

The Air Force is short thousands of pilots and has turned to 19th Air Force to increase its throughput, but at the same time the Pentagon’s National Defense Strategy calls for preparing to meet great power competition. This strategy requires the Air Force to train pilots who can face near-peer threats, and have more capability to make decisions on their own, 19th Air Force Commander Maj. Gen. Patrick Doherty said.

The overall trend is toward automation (self-flying planes, self-driving cars, etc.). Maybe people are reluctant to get into a dying occupation. Who wants to be a pilot if planes will be automated and become drones?! Times are changing.

D

Drperson

My westjet flight was cancelled a couple of years ago during hurricaine maria. I have been writing since then but they dont want to give me a credit.
Has anyone received a credit after a cancelled flight due to bad weather?

W

wrecksum

The money is s*1t,the hours are murderous, the rules are stupid,the security is depressing,(yes,the crew have to go through almost the same palaver as pax ,each flight), the pax are thankless,the accountants rule the planet,computers and costs overrule the captain and mechanics,the status of pilots is rock bottom (who can earn less than a flight attendant these days),ticket perks are almost non - existant unless you work in an office and the training costs can almost never be covered in a whole career of flying.

The accountants and bosses hate you.The office staff hate you.The cabin crew hate you.The FAA wants to find a way to ground you.

Your company can go bust in a New York second and your pension plan goes up in smoke..

You can lose your job every 6 months in the simulator or line checks or during the medical, with no recourse.

The FAA can ground you for no good reason,just a spurious complaint by somebody with no attorney for you.

You'll be fighting for seniority all your career,just hoping somebody dies.

Still wanna be a pilot Kid?

Thank goodness I had the good times...

R

Riva_31

My westjet flight was cancelled a couple of years ago during hurricaine maria. I have been writing since then but they dont want to give me a credit.

They must refund your money or free flight, I have a friend that was flying with Avianca from San juan and they refund whole money.

C

cobraboy

The money is s*1t,the hours are murderous, the rules are stupid,the security is depressing,(yes,the crew have to go through almost the same palaver as pax ,each flight), the pax are thankless,the accountants rule the planet,computers and costs overrule the captain and mechanics,the status of pilots is rock bottom (who can earn less than a flight attendant these days),ticket perks are almost non - existant unless you work in an office and the training costs can almost never be covered in a whole career of flying.

The accountants and bosses hate you.The office staff hate you.The cabin crew hate you.The FAA wants to find a way to ground you.

Your company can go bust in a New York second and your pension plan goes up in smoke..

You can lose your job every 6 months in the simulator or line checks or during the medical, with no recourse.

The FAA can ground you for no good reason,just a spurious complaint by somebody with no attorney for you.

You'll be fighting for seniority all your career,just hoping somebody dies.

Still wanna be a pilot Kid?

Thank goodness I had the good times...
That's a whole lot of truth in one post.

I would add: massive debt for flight training in the many tens of thousands of $$$ to get enough twin and turbine time to get hired by an airline in the first place, unless you were fortunate enough to fly military. SAnd even that is no guarantee.

Money left aviation years ago. Now it's about love. Which costs money.

T

tripp789

They must refund your money or free flight, I have a friend that was flying with Avianca from San juan and they refund whole money.

My experience is that a weather caused cancellation does not get money, just rescheduled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

wrecksum

My experience is that a weather caused cancellation does not get money, just rescheduled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Compensation is based on factors within the company's competence.Over-booking,crew scheduling,lack of equipment,poor timekeeping, etc..Weather is too tricky as well as non-scheduled maintenance issues.

N

NelleG

pilots

I have a friend who flew for American Airlines. She took their early retirement offer a few years ago, not even close to retirement age. Said she felt like a glorified bus driver.

U

Uzin

The overall trend is toward automation (self-flying planes, self-driving cars, etc.). Maybe people are reluctant to get into a dying occupation. Who wants to be a pilot if planes will be automated and become drones?! Times are changing.

I really hope they don't go pilot-less on passenger planes...! Driver-less taxis that we are going to get soon are bad enough, I don't know if I can fly on a plane without any pilot at all... will you !?

Saying that even pilots couldn't save the Boeing Max planes which went kamikaze, so who knows, maybe they are already redundant.... !

K

KyleMackey

I really hope they don't go pilot-less on passenger planes...! Driver-less taxis that we are going to get soon are bad enough, I don't know if I can fly on a plane without any pilot at all... will you !?

Saying that even pilots couldn't save the Boeing Max planes which went kamikaze, so who knows, maybe they are already redundant.... !

Nobody is going to get on a plane without pilots anytime soon.

T

Tom Checo

I was flying with tuifly.be on 31.12., the flight was worth cca 600 eur for 3 persons. It supposed to fly from POP, but was cancelled, we were taken to SD by bus wtf... But there got 5* excelent hotel and cca 40 eur per person worth food vouchers. We moved next evening to destination with aged 757. I postponed details of delay to some service (there are many on web) - they got me 1.800 Eur back and charged for it out of that 400 - So I got free flight, plus 800 credit.. I got no special insurance - it is an EU law, plus the max compensation is 600 eur per person.