Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 77
  1. #61
    Silver
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3,997
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BPL888 View Post
    I recently arrived at SDQ at 3AM and took a cab through Santo Domingo to San Cristobal via Haina. I was very surprised how absolutely deserted the streets were the whole way. Apparently anyone with any sense knows to stay indoors at 4AM.
    The cab driver has been doing it for 20 years and said he never had a serious problem. He was armed and has a good street sense though even he was very cautious going through Haina. He got a nice tip from me.
    Avis is open 24 hours at the airport but if I was going to drive that route I would wait until the sun came up.
    Is it common for you to have much street activity at 3am from where you originate from?

  2. Likes Africaida liked this post
  3. #62
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    381
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes. In the Boston area there are at least some cars on the road and 24 hour convenience stores with activity at all hours. When we went through Santo Domingo at 4 AM we didn't see another person or car (except PN) for close to a half hour.

  4. #63
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BPL888 View Post
    Yes. In the Boston area there are at least some cars on the road and 24 hour convenience stores with activity at all hours. When we went through Santo Domingo at 4 AM we didn't see another person or car (except PN) for close to a half hour.
    LMAO!

    In Boston everything is closed after 11pm! Nothing to do around that time here. Everything is literally deserted by 2:00 A.M. let alone in the Greater B Area by 4am.

  5. #64
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    One of those stun clubs I ordered might be a decent idea.
    My neighborhood is decent and I walk at night from time to time. Always cautious and aware.
    Had a beer in a bar in a pretty bad neighborhood and uber was not working. Decided to walk to another bar.
    Both bars are mellow with older crowd and no tigres, but neighborhood is “caliente”. I ordered another grande at first
    bar and while still half was left paid bill and left to walk to the other bar 1.5 blocks away. Took the half full grande with me.
    I was holding it in break over someones face position at my side, and not let me take a sip position. I get to corner and all eyes are on the big gringo. I walk like I run the barrio. Tigre on the corner said “mira ese gringo es un tigeraso” laughing.
    I turned around smiled and said “ya tu sabes”.

  6. #65
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31,592
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    what does it mean "walking at night"? back in my hometown in poland and later on in london i often walked back home at all hours, often between midnight and dawn. never thought twice about it. here i walk our doggies after dark every day, occasionally after 10-11 pm. never been out and about after midnight but then i'm a boring old bat and my regular bedtime is around 10:30 pm...

  7. #66
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    40,076
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rafael View Post
    My neighborhood is decent and I walk at night from time to time. Always cautious and aware.
    Had a beer in a bar in a pretty bad neighborhood and uber was not working. Decided to walk to another bar.
    Both bars are mellow with older crowd and no tigres, but neighborhood is “caliente”. I ordered another grande at first
    bar and while still half was left paid bill and left to walk to the other bar 1.5 blocks away. Took the half full grande with me.
    I was holding it in break over someones face position at my side, and not let me take a sip position. I get to corner and all eyes are on the big gringo. I walk like I run the barrio. Tigre on the corner said “mira ese gringo es un tigeraso” laughing.
    I turned around smiled and said “ya tu sabes”.
    Being a large human has some advantages, for sure, especially with natural swagger...
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

  8. #67
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    40,076
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I will walk at night in our neighborhood where there are streetlights, usually with a dog ot two or four.

    No problems until the two recent doggie issues. I'll be better prepared next time.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

  9. #68
    Silver
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3,997
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    what does it mean "walking at night"? back in my hometown in poland and later on in london i often walked back home at all hours, often between midnight and dawn. never thought twice about it. here i walk our doggies after dark every day, occasionally after 10-11 pm. never been out and about after midnight but then i'm a boring old bat and my regular bedtime is around 10:30 pm...
    Walking at night is meant as simple as such as once the sun goes down....until it comes up again. Depending wherein RD one seems to be at a point in time, it takes on different results.

  10. #69
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,072
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smith690 View Post
    We do not like to walk and travel on nighttime.
    Where do you live?

  11. #70
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    what does it mean "walking at night"? back in my hometown in poland and later on in london i often walked back home at all hours, often between midnight and dawn. never thought twice about it. here i walk our doggies after dark every day, occasionally after 10-11 pm. never been out and about after midnight but then i'm a boring old bat and my regular bedtime is around 10:30 pm...
    it's called matured......and I enjoy waking up watching the sunrise.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •