Walking At Night

C

Caonabo

As reported in today's, 24 April 2019 DR1 News.....

DR ranks low in safe walking at night

According to research carried out by the Global Peace Index (GPI), the Dominican Republic is third on the list for people who do not feel safe walking outside at night. The country with the highest percentage of insecurity for walking at night was Venezuela, with 88 %; followed by El Salvador, with 72 % In the Dominican Republic, some 67 % of Dominicans do not feel safe walking in their neighborhoods at night.

In the same list, the DR is followed by Liberia (65 %), Brazil (64 %), Afghanistan (64 %), South Africa (63 %), Botswana (62 %) and Mauritania (61 %).
Looking at other indicators of the GPI, the highest increases registered in the country where the rate of homicides with a 4.7-point increase, perception of crime with a 4-point increase and domestic violence increase by three points.
http://visionofhumanity.org/app/uplo...dex-2018-2.pdf
https://www.cdn.com.do/2019/04/23/re...or-las-noches/

I myself, as a Dominican national do not feel comfortable driving at night in the RD, not to mention walking. As a national, resident, or tourist do you feel comfortable walking around the RD at night?

C

cobraboy

According to research carried out by the Global Peace Index (GPI), the Dominican Republic is third on the list for people who do not feel safe walking outside at night. The country with the highest percentage of insecurity for walking at night was Venezuela, with 88 %; followed by El Salvador, with 72 % In the Dominican Republic, some 67 % of Dominicans do not feel safe walking in their neighborhoods at night.

In the same list, the DR is followed by Liberia (65 %), Brazil (64 %), Afghanistan (64 %), South Africa (63 %), Botswana (62 %) and Mauritania (61 %).
Looking at other indicators of the GPI, the highest increases registered in the country where the rate of homicides with a 4.7-point increase, perception of crime with a 4-point increase and domestic violence increase by three points.

I myself, as a Dominican national do not feel comfortable driving at night in the RD, not to mention walking. As a national, resident, or tourist do you feel comfortable walking around the RD at night?
We do not like driving at night, but occasionally have to.

We don't walk the streets at night. Lighted Resort areas, like Playa Bellenas in Las Terrenas, are a little different but still require caution.

W

Wishing you well

I exercise at Mirador del Sur and at times Mirador del Norte.

Only two places I would dare to go to for exercise. Mirador del sur is entirely full with people from early afternoon through the late evenings and the PN presence is there - Mirador del Norte not the same.

I trust Mirador del sur more, besides - right after the exercise, I could just walk down to the chicharones place and have myself a fest for dinner.

W

Wishing you well

We do not like driving at night, but occasionally have to.

We don't walk the streets at night. Lighted Resort areas, like Playa Bellenas in Las Terrenas, are a little different but still require caution.

Whenever I go to LT usually stay at the Ballenas hotel - beach is nice and quiet, and so are the walks after dinner.

W

Wishing you well

There is no way El Salvador ranks that high in safety?

That's the home of MS13 for the love of Jesus.

A

alexw

I exercise at Mirador del Sur and at times Mirador del Norte.

Only two places I would dare to go to for exercise. Mirador del sur is entirely full with people from early afternoon through the late evenings and the PN presence is there - Mirador del Norte not the same.

I trust Mirador del sur more, besides - right after the exercise, I could just walk down to the chicharones place and have myself a fest for dinner.

You know I've been here for a couple years now and I've never been to Mirador Del Sur. I have a flight early in the morning back to New York but when I come back I'm definitely going to go. Great post though

J

josh2203

In places such as Parque Central and the immediate surroundings (so city center) in POP, yes, we occasionally walk in the evening, but nothing outside of that. To be honest, this is one thing me and my wife (from here, but lived years outside of the country as well) really miss here. Living in Europe, we used to get out with the kids every weekend and walk in the city up until 9-10pm, have something to eat etc. etc. The kids enjoyed it more than anything, we did... There was nothing like hot chocolate late at night when the evening breeze was already cooling (in the summer), walking near a river bank...

Currently, we're planning a trip to the capital in the near future to see again la Zona and a bit of Malecon, after sunset yes, but definitely not late at night...

Driving - I drive here at any time of the day, but I definitely prefer between 6:30 am and 6:30 pm... There are enough crazy people on the road during the daytime...

W

Wishing you well

You know I've been here for a couple years now and I've never been to Mirador Del Sur. I have a flight early in the morning back to New York but when I come back I'm definitely going to go. Great post though

Check it out.

Plenty of people exercising early in the morning and all afternoon through the evening. Safe for the most part but there are some spots where the smell of urine is, let just say, robust - for a political correct nomenclature if you will.

But to the point of the subject - Mirador del Sur is safe.

C

cobraboy

One of those stun clubs I ordered might be a decent idea.

C

Cdn_Gringo

A stun club allows a human threat to get far too close. A mugging in this country is going to involve an offensive weapon of some sort. The closer the attacker can encroach, the more likely you are going to be injured, even if you do not resist. If you are a pacifist, perhaps a taser. If you are at all concerned about being attacked or routinely find yourself in vulnerable situations, either stop doing those things (best) or get an offensive weapon of your own (less than best).

The ladrones know the score and a stun club at a gun fight is well, you know.

We should all know by now, that being out and about after dark is an enhanced risk in this country. Perhaps more so for foreigners. Some places are safer than others and one could go their entire life without incident, but the odds suggest otherwise. Whether the DR is #3 on the list or #15 really isn't the point. The point is that it is not perfectly safe to be walking in the dark without a posse in tow. None of us gets to pick the time or the place that a chico malo happens to cross our path. Those who choose to disregard the reality of the jungle once too often are the ones we read about.

C

Caonabo

A stun club allows a human threat to get far too close. A mugging in this country is going to involve an offensive weapon of some sort. The closer the attacker can encroach, the more likely you are going to be injured, even if you do not resist. If you are a pacifist, perhaps a taser. If you are at all concerned about being attacked or routinely find yourself in vulnerable situations, either stop doing those things (best) or get an offensive weapon of your own (less than best).

The ladrones know the score and a stun club at a gun fight is well, you know.

We should all know by now, that being out and about after dark is an enhanced risk in this country. Perhaps more so for foreigners. Some places are safer than others and one could go their entire life without incident, but the odds suggest otherwise. Whether the DR is #3 on the list or #15 really isn't the point. The point is that it is not perfectly safe to be walking in the dark without a posse in tow. None of us gets to pick the time or the place that a chico malo happens to cross our path. Those who choose to disregard the reality of the jungle once too often are the ones we read about.

Why do you choose to live in a "jungle"? It must be quite a burden upon you.

I

irishpaddy

that park is Excellent and very safe

C

Cdn_Gringo

Those who do not adapt to their environment...

"The jungle" is a euphemism and not relevant to the main points. Those being that walking at night in the DR is risky and that a stun club is not particularly well suited for thwarting an attack from another person.

C

cavok

I rarely drive at night here on the North Coast except for a short drive into Cabarete. Too many idiots on the road who refuse to dim their high beams, the roads are poorly lighted, and the road surface is generally not good nor properly striped.

Other than downtown Cabarete, I don't walk around at night. I've been in hotels in nice sections of Santiago and Santo Domingo(Naco), and I wouldn't walk around there at night either. Streets were pretty might deserted after 9pm and I figured, if Dominicans aren't out and walking around, it's not a good idea for me to be either.

I

irsav

Smart experienced wise expats would NEVER leave the house after 7 !!! Looking for trouble. Only matter of time.

S

sabra

I'm resident, female, living in Cabarete, and since some years never walking at night. And, in case there is a meeting with friends
p.e. in Sosua meanwhile using a taxi (before Carrito and walking the way from the mainroad to our house (ca. 15 minutes))
So I feel more safe, the taxi driver is a well-known friend.

Last edited:
K

keepcoming

Walk Mirador del Sur in the late afternoon, never had a problem. See many mom's and kids getting in their exercise and play time.

A

alexw

Check it out.

Plenty of people exercising early in the morning and all afternoon through the evening. Safe for the most part but there are some spots where the smell of urine is, let just say, robust - for a political correct nomenclature if you will.

But to the point of the subject - Mirador del Sur is safe.

that park is Excellent and very safe

Ah its sounds like a much bigger parque iberoamerica. Thanks guys

M

Mauricio

Parque Mirador Sur might be safe early in the evening, before 8pm but it’s known as one of the areas where many people have been mugged after these hours.