Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning

C

Cdn_Gringo

Once again this Samana Santa is marred by far too many drownings, usually while in close proximity to lots of other other people. Summer is coming and perhaps you'll be taking visitors to the beach, or you are just there having a cold drink enjoying atmosphere.

Saw this article and felt it was worth passing along since lifeguards are a rarity in this country most of the time. In the end, it may just come down to you recognizing a life threatening situation before...

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-spot-swimmers-who-are-drowning-1834257199

https://www.soundingsonline.com/voices/drowning-doesnt-look-like-drowning

W

Wishing you well

Perhaps I got mixed numbers, but didn't the COE announced just two victims due to drowning out of the total of 33 for the week?

Of course - even one is too many but given the irrationality, lack of safety and all craziness that goes along during semana santa - I believe two is actually a great number.

M

monfongo

For the past 6-7 yrs or more. Semana santa has been getting less crazy every yr. ,you don't see as many kids passed out on the beach with bottle of rum in their hand and the military presence is ten times what it used to be, not to mention the red cross and the tourist police.

Last edited:
D

dv8

honestly i ignore articles like that. i am not a strong swimmer and would not jump into the water to save someone risking my own life. sorry, not sorry.

C

cobraboy

Perhaps I got mixed numbers, but didn't the COE announced just two victims due to drowning out of the total of 33 for the week?

Of course - even one is too many but given the irrationality, lack of safety and all craziness that goes along during semana santa - I believe two is actually a great number.
My wife is a board member of the local Red Cross. Because of the illness of the director, she had to assume his duties last weekend.

They had one drowning in the Jarabacoa area. Some drunken kid jumped into a spring which goes back underground, where any swimming is strictly prohibited, and got sucked down by a whirlpool.

W

Wishing you well

My wife is a board member of the local Red Cross. Because of the illness of the director, she had to assume his duties last weekend.

They had one drowning in the Jarabacoa area. Some drunken kid jumped into a spring which goes back underground, where any swimming is strictly prohibited, and got sucked down by a whirlpool.

Is the Red Cross volunteer (no pay) based here as well?

M

mobrouser

honestly i ignore articles like that. i am not a strong swimmer and would not jump into the water to save someone risking my own life. sorry, not sorry.

There are 2 lifeguards in the mob family, and both would agree with your decision.
More often than not more lives are lost than saved when untrained people attempt a rescue.
Do what you can safely which would be call 911 first (I know, not necessarily applicable in RD), and look for a buoyant device that the person in distress might be able hold on to in order to keep head above water until trained help arrives.

:classic: mob