Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cooking over Highest Flame possible

I cook. I love to cook. I read cookbooks, articles, magazines concerning techniques, new recipes, food glorious food But I do not and never have understood how so many (who knows? All?) dominicans cook over the highest flame/heat. Yesterday we had the once weekly housekeeper in. Had taken a chicken out of freezer night before and decided, just like that to ask whether she could cook something. Anyway bottom line she proceeded to cook, browning first (that was fine) then to same pot added veggies etc. we had on hand and then....added water to pot on highest possible heat which we finally had to say "shouldn't you turn this down". No she said it had to keep going like this until it drys up. We said can't it just do that its been bubbling awhile already. So after what seemed to me long (it actually wasn't that long I guess) it was finished. It was tasty but it just makes no sense to me as to the method of pretty quick for 3. Lb chicken bubbling, boiling away like this. Today I went to reheat and noticed in my chicken piece it was underdone. I have seen dominicans do cook over the very high flames. Why? Of certainty dominican food/cooking does not have a sterling reputation when it comes to cooking. Probably most of the world knows the word "braising". Not here it seems.
    So there must be a cultural reason. Yes?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeb321 View Post
    I cook. I love to cook. I read cookbooks, articles, magazines concerning techniques, new recipes, food glorious food But I do not and never have understood how so many (who knows? All?) dominicans cook over the highest flame/heat. Yesterday we had the once weekly housekeeper in. Had taken a chicken out of freezer night before and decided, just like that to ask whether she could cook something. Anyway bottom line she proceeded to cook, browning first (that was fine) then to same pot added veggies etc. we had on hand and then....added water to pot on highest possible heat which we finally had to say "shouldn't you turn this down". No she said it had to keep going like this until it drys up. We said can't it just do that its been bubbling awhile already. So after what seemed to me long (it actually wasn't that long I guess) it was finished. It was tasty but it just makes no sense to me as to the method of pretty quick for 3. Lb chicken bubbling, boiling away like this. Today I went to reheat and noticed in my chicken piece it was underdone. I have seen dominicans do cook over the very high flames. Why? Of certainty dominican food/cooking does not have a sterling reputation when it comes to cooking. Probably most of the world knows the word "braising". Not here it seems.
    Sorry to simplify. Answer for the most part... Low IQ

Does she open cans with your best steak knife?

Wash floors with excessive water shorting out anything electrical nearby?

Etc

Etc

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeb321 View Post
    From what I understand the "cultural" reason began with lack of refrigeration and fear of meat contamination.

Many cook the crap out of anything for that reason.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

4. Likes monfongo, PJT liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    From what I understand the "cultural" reason began with lack of refrigeration and fear of meat contamination.

Very true. But having the flame bigger than the pot or covering rice with a black plastic bag is bad culture.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Contaminated meat -- food in general

ever notice how the salad dressings are heavy on vinegar ?
    for good reason...........

My goat stew... the marinade has vinegar....as do many other marinades in other cultures

7. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post

Same in Haiti. You cook the **** out of everything so that you don't get sick.

Post Thanks / Like

Mod note: Sent to Living Forum as not East Coast specific.

Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NanSanPedro View Post
    Same in Haiti. You cook the **** out of everything so that you don't get sick.
    When travelling in the Far East companions of mine would drink whiskey with each meal to help prevent food poisoning. This is nonsense, but I like to think it works

11. Likes bienamor, NanSanPedro, drstock, westcan liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RockyM View Post
    When travelling in the Far East companions of mine would drink whiskey with each meal to help prevent food poisoning. This is nonsense, but I like to think it works
    I think any alcohol beverage with greater than 10% would work. More is always better.

NYT when is was less fake

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/15/h...poisoning.html

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

it's "my mother did that, and her mother before that and the mother of her mother" and so on. there is not much thought given to the process, it's how it 's always been done.

14. Likes Caonabo, JDJones liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast