Moving/Shipping company for move from Southeast US to Puerto Plata

E

Ethridge72

Hello.

I will be moving from Atlanta, Georgia to Cabarete the end of May. I know I can buy most everything in the DR, but I have belongings that I want to bring with me in a shipping container.

Does anyone have any suggestions (from personal experience) on a good moving/shipping company?

Thank you for any help.

Billy

C

Cdn_Gringo

Do you have your DR residency yet? If not, expect to be gouged and screwed throughout the entire import process.

Check the lists of acceptable items for import on the DR Govt websites (in Spanish of course). Untreated wood furniture can be a hassle as can bringing more of something than can easily be considered for personal use. Household goods that are used seem to examined less stringently than new in the box items.

You absolutely have to be in attendance when customs examines the contents of your container. You should probably plan to spend several days in Santo Domingo when your container arrives to hold the hand of your import broker, deal with customs and then the paying of any duties and taxes. You will want to get that container out of the port as quickly as possible as I believe they charge at least $100 USD per day that it remains at the port.

You can do all this yourself, but if your Spanish is not good or you do not have the wherewithal to navigate the bureaucracy you may stumble frequently. If you wish to take advantage of the Residency exemption for household goods, you must have your residency card and cedula in hand at the time you present your paperwork and request the exemption. If you don't request it, you won't automatically get it.

Good luck.

W

william webster

ask Hispaniola Freight in Sto Dom.... Wendoline (if she's still there)

In the USA - any freight forwarder - I used Benchmark in PHL suburbs - Essington I think
They coordinate the container to you & then to the ship.

E

Expat-in-Cabarete

I don’t know if this is still true, but when we moved from Virginia we were told to ship to Santo Domingo and bring container by road to Cabarete. Reason given was that it is common for parts of your shipment to go missing during inspection if shipping to Puerto Plata.

I guess any international mover in the US will move you. Yet, I’ve seen posts here with quotes that were less than 1/3 for same size container as we paid with a company that had done a move for us from Peru. Ask for several quotes.

There used to be several threads on moving companies but I’m terrible at searching forums on DR1. Maybe someone else can provide links.

W

william webster

Caucedo is the arrival port of choice - I hear.

Yes, ours arrived there (2009) and went by road to Cabrera.
Pto Plata is to be avoided - advice from the Aduana itself

My 1st quote was $14,000 for a 40ft from a mover.
I took control of the process and did it for $4500.... Freight Forwarder as above

P

PJT

Extra security measures

Do you have your DR residency yet? If not, expect to be gouged and screwed throughout the entire import process.

You absolutely have to be in attendance when customs examines the contents of your container. You should probably plan to spend several days in Santo Domingo when your container arrives to hold the hand of your import broker, deal with customs and then the paying of any duties and taxes. You will want to get that container out of the port as quickly as possible as I believe they charge at least $100 USD per day that it remains at the port.

Good luck.

Being in attendence when Customs examines the shipment is a must do. If not there, pay the shipper company/broker/mover to have a couple extra bodies there when the inspection begins. Extra eyes tend to keep Customs honest when they are *removing the container cargo. They will open every box and item for inspection. It is recommended: you use a **numbered cable seal for the ocean container, be present when the seal is broken, and have a replacement seal and padlock when container is reloaded after inspecton. *Also buy some reflective tape or spray cans of luminescence paint to mark at least three sides of each item. It makes it more risky for the Customs workers to to secret the items away.

When packing for the shipment number each carton or piece of furniture in sequence and list them by the number. It will serve as a record for the shipping company and you. Make the list in Spanish and English.

Good Luck and regards,

PJT

*they are slick as teflon, items can be removed and hidden in a flash.
** a must. the shipper should supply one and attached it in your presence when packing at origin done.

W

william webster

PJT
When my load arrived, we opened the container and the customs official read the packing list.
He then asked to to see specific items.. a spot check if you will.

Once done, we removed the car, transferred the households to a truck and drove to Cabrera.

Not that hard if properly organized.

Yes, you should be there.
I was accompanied by Hispaniola Freight people.

P

PJT

During PJT's move a million years ago, at Haina, the full container was complete stripped of everything, including the camioneta, and was inspected.

The type and level of inspection is up to the official in charge.

Regards,

PJT

W

william webster

Haina has a terrible reputation.....

PJT couldn't have known that in advance

This is the benefit of using a local freight company -- Hispaniola Freight
They know

P

PJT

It was Sealand/Maersk in 2000 at Haina, no other options at that time. It is where the Customs vehicle depot was located.

Regards,

PJT

W

william webster

OK-- No Caucedo in 2000
I was Jan 2009.... very new then

S

SocialZealot

Hello.

I will be moving from Atlanta, Georgia to Cabarete the end of May. I know I can buy most everything in the DR, but I have belongings that I want to bring with me in a shipping container.

Does anyone have any suggestions (from personal experience) on a good moving/shipping company?

Thank you for any help.

Billy

I moved to Cabarete from Atlanta. Ponce Place to be exact :)

I suggest you sell your stuff and buy new stuff here. We came with one large suitcase per person. Oh and we brought out Miele vacuum.

I own a kite school and restaurant here in Cabarete. Let's meet up when you make it to town. We can talk Jermaine Dupree and Atlantic Station.