owning a shot gun vs a gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

janlindy

Anyone know of the correct law for owning a shot gun. Many rumors out there.???????? Am a legal resident.

W

william webster

you'll need a permit....

I hired a man who had one.. a permit .
then I lent him the money to buy the 'escopeta'....

easier than owning one...

yes -- shotguns are easier to own and permit than guns which need renewals...
as I understand it

C

chico bill

you'll need a permit....

I hired a man who had one.. a permit .
then I lent him the money to buy the 'escopeta'....

easier than owning one...

yes -- shotguns are easier to own and permit than guns which need renewals...
as I understand it

As a guard or he gave you the shotgun ?

W

william webster

He's a guard.....
I lent him the $$ to buy using his license./permit

The owner of the gun is liable - regardless of who pulled the trigger
I was advised NOT to own

C

Cdn_Gringo

The license requirements for obtaining a firearm license for a shotgun and a pistol are the same. Each will require a separate application even if purchased at the same time.

If you purchase a brand new shotgun, you will do so from a gun store and they can be helpful in walking you through the steps and documentation for your application. You pay for the shotgun and it is turned over to the military for storage until you receive your license.

You need to pay for the shot gun, various taxes and fees related to the license itself. Fill out paperwork, demonstrate that you know how to fire a shotgun and a pistol (one shot each), take a drug test and have a physiologist certify that you are not wacko. Drug test, shooting range and psych interview can all be done at the same place at the same time - your armeria will take you. :)

You will need a current criminal record check from home. You will be told that the Ministerio will conduct a Interpol check but for most foreigners nothing ever comes of that process so best to get your own record check and submit it. With Apostile. Mine didn't need to be translated but they were pretty sick and tired of me by then.

Then you wait and wait and wait. Eventually the license is issued. You go to the Banreserva branch where you paid all the fees and collect your license. Then you drive to the Military base El Bellico near Pedro Brandt to pick up your new escopeta.

If you buy used from a private individual the process is pretty much the same in that you both need to appear at the Minsterio at the same time to transfer the ownership of the shotgun and to turn it in for storage pending the issuance of the license. As the applicant and new owner you will be on your own to gather and submit everything needed for the application yourself. I suspect an armeria might be inclined to help for a fee.

Pistol license needs to be renewed every 365 days.
Shotgun licenses are valid for the entire period that you own the shotgun.

More info at www.mip.gob.do - which doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

F

Fulano2

If your partner is dominican let her get it, easy, at least in our situation, we have a 16 and a 12. Legal. To shoot at her fathers fincas and at night for the tigres.

J

janlindy

thank you for the great info. we are unsure if this is the course to take, we are looking at all options. At present we have one large dog, one small dog, we don't know how they would react too an intruder. At present all neighbors are afraid of them and we feel safe where we live. BUT one never knows..

Last edited:
C

Cdn_Gringo

The licensing process can take a long time, up to six months or longer. Certainly longer if there is an election and change of govt after you file.

A firearm is a tool and a tool of last resort. Basically disposing of an intruder has to be worth the hassle that will result from doing so. If you have the right tool for the job, you have the option of using it. If you don't have the right tool, then you have to make do with what you do have and in some cases what you have is pretty ineffective for the circumstances.

You'll need to practice shooting and get used to a sore shoulder. I do not recommend the pistol grip or semiautomatic shotguns but that is a different topic. In this climate, you should plan on stripping the shotgun down once a month and oiling all the parts to stave off rust and to insure the everything is lubricated and ready to go if needed. Nothing worse than than a jam or a failure to eject for lack of basic maintenance.

Chances are that it will sit and collect dust between cleanings. Get into the habit of moving it from it's out of sight daytime (but easily accessible) storage next to the bed at night. You may not wake up in the middle of the night with enough time to get out of bed and go get it.

Practice shooting , practice loading and cycling, practice regular maintenance. Get used to holding and carrying it. It's heavier than you think after 5 minutes. Know how it works, how to strip it down for cleaning and most importantly, how to put it all back together. Usually lots of YouTube videos to help.

A firearm, a big decision that comes with added responsibility. How will you feel if it gets stolen when you are not home and someone gets shot? At the same time, nothing gives you more options in many varied types of crises - from natural disasters to home protection.

Lots to think about while you wait for that license. Remember, a firearm is not for show or as a threat. If you decide you need to point a firearm at someone, as soon as you're on target...fire!

Last edited:
C

Cdn_Gringo

Get rid of them all or give one to everyone. It's often the polite and the unassuming that become the victims of those who would bring death to their door. Nothing wrong with an even playing field except for those who would strip the compliant of a defense even though though they know they cannot equally disarm the non-compliant in society. That's akin to having one arm always tied behind your back.

When the violent criminals are disarmed, the other side may be more willing reevaluate their need to possess a firearm.

You choose - A machete or a shotgun against an armed intruder?

Last edited:
C

Cdn_Gringo

I'd be interested in knowing what the wait time for a license to be issued currently is.

W

william webster

thank you for the great info. we are unsure if this is the course to take, we are looking at all options. At present we have one large dog, one small dog, we don't know how they would react too an intruder. At present all neighbors are afraid of them and we feel safe where we live. BUT one never knows..

load up on the dogs....

you need to be awake & aware to use the gun....
The dogs will be waaaay ahead of you in warnings

C

Caonabo

You already have a jittery expatriate community residing within the RD. Some afraid to drive. Some afraid to walk at night. Some afraid to leave their walled compounds, and walk at all. Some just, afraid. Is it logical to arm these people with weapons of death as well?

C

cavok

Theives prefer soft targets. If you have good flood lighting, bars on all windows and doors, and some big dogs - they'll pick somebody else.

C

Cdn_Gringo

You must have missed the question:

It's late at night, you are in bed. You awake to the sound of glass braking. You hear the thud of feet hitting your kitchen floor. You leap out of bed, lock your bedroom door. Grab your cell from the night table, call 911 and request help. Help is on the way. You know better than to ask how long? There is a 50/50 chance of help arriving before the summer solstice.

Now what do you do? Grab your machete and wait for the door to swing open? You can assume whomever will be standing there has a weapon of some type. Or do you grab your shotgun and position yourself to send the person standing in your now open bedroom door 15 feet backwards before they can focus and locate you crouching and firing from cover behind your bed?

That's not being afraid. That's being prepared to defend your life when there is no one else around to do it for you. It's not like variations of this scenario do not play out with some frequency. Unfortunately the very same foreigners you suggest should not arm themselves are primary targets of opportunity because they are foreigners and assumed to have good stuff.

I do not expect to ever have to face this situation because I take steps to make it difficult to get into this predicament. However, I am not so naive as to assume that the police can or will arrive in time to save my wife or me. There is a real and quantifiable possibility of facing an armed intruder where I live now and where I will be moving to shortly. I cannot leave the final determination of my fate solely in the hands of an intruder or the police (who not be around at the precise moment their intervention is desperately needed).

This country allows law abiding citizens and legal residents to arm themselves for protection. In part because that is an individual's responsibility when the system cannot provide an alternative resolution in a timely manner.

If the cops can get it done on their own, great. If they haven't arrived yet, well I've got better tools than the ladrones. Just in case.

View attachment 3115

Last edited:
C

cavok

Me? If you had big dogs outside with floodlights and bars on your doors and windows, I don't think that would happen(?). Thieves will pick an easier, softer target - unless of course your known to keep large sums of money in your house. In that case, I'd get a shotgun.

C

chico bill

You already have a jittery expatriate community residing within the RD. Some afraid to drive. Some afraid to walk at night. Some afraid to leave their walled compounds, and walk at all. Some just, afraid. Is it logical to arm these people with weapons of death as well?

Yes for all that want to own and learn how to use and safely store the weapons.
Can't recall a jittery expat mistakenly shooting someone.
As someone who has pulled a gun during an attempted car jacking (in Costa Rica) - you never want to need one but when you need one it's a welcome friend.

K

kcdmps

You must have missed the question:

It's late at night, you are in bed. You awake to the sound of glass braking. You hear the thud of feet hitting your kitchen floor. You leap out of bed, lock your bedroom door. Grab your cell from the night table, call 911 and request help. Help is on the way. You know better than to ask how long? There is a 50/50 chance of help arriving before the summer solstice.

Now what do you do? Grab your machete and wait for the door to swing open? You can assume whomever will be standing there has a weapon of some type. Or do you grab your shotgun and position yourself to send the person standing in your now open bedroom door 15 feet backwards before they can focus and locate you crouching and firing from cover behind your bed?

View attachment 3115

Breaking and entering is not a capital offense, so you can't just shoot someone with a shotgun for that. You have to confront the intruder and give him a chance to surrender. Now, if he flees at that point, let him go and call the police. If he is armed or lunges at you, shoot.

What happens if the intruder surrenders? You have to call the police. If you were alone in the house when he broke in, you would be in a position of holding the gun at the intruder with one hand and calling the police with the other. Can you effectively point a shotgun at the intruder with only one hand while you do this? I can't. Handgun is better than a shotgun for home defense for this reason.

C

Cdn_Gringo

Here in the DR there are basically three general options available for the private individual who wishes to acquire a firearm.

1) Shotgun
2) Semiautomatic pistol
3) Revolver

2 & 3 are portable defense options when away from home and there is a perceived need to able to counter an assault with effective force quickly and easily. Pistols and revolvers require a degree of skill and training over and above that needed to effectively operate a shotgun. As such they are not particularly good options as a home defense tool. A skilled marksman may be able to use one with good effect but that is not most people or even the casual firearms owner.

For home defense it's difficult to come up with a better all-around choice for the average person wishing to include standoff force delivery than a 12 gauge shotgun. A short barreled tactical shotgun is relatively easy to maneuver around corners and can deliver considerable stopping power in short order even with less than perfect aim in low light situations. You need to be good with putting holes in an intruder and quite possibly your microwave, your fridge, a TV or whatever happens to be close to and behind your target.

As with any firearm, a shotgun is not something you can just bring home and leave in the closet. Especially for anyone who has not used one before, you need to fire it at least 20 times. A shotgun has a bit of a kick that you need to experience so that you don't drop it after pulling the trigger for the first time. The other 19 practice shots allow you to get comfortable aiming, cycling the weapon between shots and watching a water jug get reduced to chunks of scattered plastic.

Firing the shotgun gets it dirty so you get the opportunity to clean it and become familiar with its various parts and their operation. Now you can secure it with a trigger guard/lock and secret it away in your closet or wherever, bringing it out at bed time and once a month to give it a quick wipe down with a little bit of gun oil.

Having a firearm in the house is a serious decision. Clearly people make mistakes from time to time and a mistake with a firearm can be disastrous. Without a doubt, having a firearm in your home increases the possibility of unintended tragedy just because there is a firearm in the house. Kids, guests, burglars will all find a firearm enticing if they stumble across one by happenstance. You do have to consider how you are going to secure it and store it when it is not directly under your personal control so the maid doesn't blow her foot off or worse, yours.

Obviously a firearm is a tool of last resort. Unlike the movies, the average home owner is not going to go skulking around in a darkened home looking for a confrontation. You will retreat with your firearm as far as you can, putting as many locked doors between you and the intruder as is practical while you wait for the police. When you are in the unfortunate position where you can retreat no further and wait no longer for outside help, then, having force equalizer at your disposal, can give you the capability you need to avoid serious injury and survive a potentially violent encounter with someone equally motivated to come out on top.

"To thine own self be true." As with many decisions, there are pluses and minuses when choosing to become a firearms owner. It is a serious decision worthy of considerable forethought. Just having a firearm available and certainly using one can potentially set you on a path fraught with emotional, physical and legal turmoil. You have to be good with the decision to use one if you ever really need to. Hesitation and indecision can be your undoing - just like on the TV show Survivor when someone gets sent home with an immunity idol in their pocket. Both you and your spouse have to be on the same page, as the actions of one, will definitely involve and affect the other.

Firearm ownership is not for everyone and reconciling this reality is the first step in becoming a responsible firearms owner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.