Cats..... again

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JDJones

Hi guys,

I'm looking for suggestions on how to deal with stray cats.

I have 3 cats (1 female, 2 males - the female has 4 kittens) that hang around my building.

They're not feral, but they're not pets either, which means I can't really pick them up and put them in a cage to transport them.

I'm curious to know if anybody knows if one of the animal protection agencies in SD can offer to come to my place, sedate these cats and take them away in return for a donation to their cause?

I have been feeding them in order to gain a small amount of trust with them, and hopefully they can be given something in their food that will dumb them down enough to be caged and removed.

None of my neighbors wants them around either, and I worry they may show up dead some morning from being poisoned.

Any suggestions?

K

KateP

Hi guys,

I'm looking for suggestions on how to deal with stray cats.

I have 3 cats (1 female, 2 males - the female has 4 kittens) that hang around my building.

They're not feral, but they're not pets either, which means I can't really pick them up and put them in a cage to transport them.

I'm curious to know if anybody knows if one of the animal protection agencies in SD can offer to come to my place, sedate these cats and take them away in return for a donation to their cause?

I have been feeding them in order to gain a small amount of trust with them, and hopefully they can be given something in their food that will dumb them down enough to be caged and removed.

None of my neighbors wants them around either, and I worry they may show up dead some morning from being poisoned.

Any suggestions?
Keep in mind that if they're simply taken away, others will come. Strays stick to a place where they can find food. So either a neighbour is feeding them or the trash isn't stored properly. Let me check what contacts I can find for you on fb.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

C

cavok

I think KateP has the solution - eliminate the food source. We have a small problem with stray cats in our condominium. A couple owners feel sorry for the cats and put out plates of food for them. This just draws more stray cats.

J

JDJones

I think KateP has the solution - eliminate the food source. We have a small problem with stray cats in our condominium. A couple owners feel sorry for the cats and put out plates of food for them. This just draws more stray cats.

I'd much prefer that they are picked up and taken away for adoption. Eliminates the problem more efficiently

Z

zoomzx11

If you can find a cage trap it is easy enough to catch them.
You just feed them inside the trap without setting it. When they get used to it you set it.
"Have a heart" is one brand.
Some of the animal rescues would have them.
Feral cats have a terrible existence. Other issues is they destroy the local bird population.
Good luck. Its a good thing you are doing, both for the cats and the birds.

U

Uzin

Stray cats are a menace, we have the same problem, an old lady feels sorry and feeds them, from a few before we now have 12 and no stopping them....

J

JDJones

An interesting turn of events:

The smallest of the 4 kitten died yesterday. Not unexpected.

I picked it up when I found it, and the three grown cats approached me, so I let them all smell the dead kitten.

Later, I contacted a shelter I found here in San Cristobal, and we are going to sedate the large cats today with something in their food (today's menu_SALMON!), then she'll take them and the kittens to her shelter. (that's the plan anyway)

Later in the evening, I was enjoying a cigar in the yard, and all three of the cats came up to me and laid down at my feet after rubbing against my leg.

First time ever.

Maybe they know their days in my world are numbered.

J

JDJones

The end of the story:

I contacted Diyakimyi Sociedad Protectores de Animals en San Cristobal.

They gave me the medication required to put the cats into dreamland. It didn't seem to work that well because one of them got up and took off when we started picking them up and putting them in the cage for transport.

We got the rest of them in the cage, and when we picked it up to load it in the vehicle, all hell broke loose in the cage.

We set the cage in the vehicle and let them sit for a while to calm down.

Once they settled down, the driver drove away and they appeared to be resigned to their fate (or drugged... lol)

The lady called me about a half an hour later and said they made it OK, and all of them were doing well.

Pretty much went according to plan. (except for the one that took off and the kitten that died)

I sent them a nice donation for their help.

All's well that ends well.

B

Bronxboy

Glad all's well that ends well.
Let's us all call it closure.

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.